Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Post by bertvorgon »

My 73'came stock with blue tint and my replacement Pilkington has that.

Once out in the bright sun, I sure do not mind the light rendering and on top of that, I wear RayBan pilot sun glass's, which dampen the glare anyhow. With today's UV, on a 5 hour drive, I'm ok with any reduction of glare and flare.

Interesting your glass says made in Finland, whereas mine says England.
Attachments
glass2.jpg
glass2.jpg (17.98 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
paul97

Post by paul97 »

Bertvorgon where did you get your windshield from? I need to get a windshield for my 68 510 and I was wondering who to call. Summit Racing is out of them right now.
paul97

Post by paul97 »

Has anyone bought a windshield from this place? http://www.metropartsmarket.com/glass/c ... c21s2.html
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Hey Paul,

A few years ago I did a group buy here through a local, large glass distributor who brought them in for us. I did check, again a few years ago, and the price had gone up at the time, and, as I did not have a large group (10 ), I let it go.

They came in a massive wooden case, all were intact!
Attachments
10 Pilkington windshields.jpeg
10 Pilkington windshields.jpeg (304.65 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
paul97

Post by paul97 »

I called Pinkington and they said they would not sell to me and they could not give me the contact of a supplier. I also sent them an e-mail but I haven't heard back.
paul97

Post by paul97 »

I found a new windshield at the glass place around the corner from my work. He delivered it to me today and it was only $150.00. It is a Fuyao made in China windshield.
Attachments
DSC09069 (640x480).jpg
DSC09069 (640x480).jpg (94.39 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

our FIRST group buy here, done by another club member, was the Chinese screens. That is actually what is in my car at the moment. My Pilkington is my spare right now.

What I noticed specifically, is that during a few of our early springs drives, is that it chipped easily from the small sand bits blasting up. I attribute that to maybe a cheaper glass annealing process?! I have a Pilkington in my Honda Odyssey and it has weathered, pun intended, years of driving with not the same "sanding".

Other than that, it has been fine. It is a bit thinner. I took a major stone hit almost in my field of vision, but, the chip repair guy was able to fix it no problem and you can hardly see where it was!

Glad you got one.

Keith Law
paul97

Post by paul97 »

bertvorgon wrote: 21 Aug 2020 08:33 our FIRST group buy here, done by another club member, was the Chinese screens. That is actually what is in my car at the moment. My Pilkington is my spare right now.

What I noticed specifically, is that during a few of our early springs drives, is that it chipped easily from the small sand bits blasting up. I attribute that to maybe a cheaper glass annealing process?! I have a Pilkington in my Honda Odyssey and it has weathered, pun intended, years of driving with not the same "sanding".

Other than that, it has been fine. It is a bit thinner. I took a major stone hit almost in my field of vision, but, the chip repair guy was able to fix it no problem and you can hardly see where it was!

Glad you got one.
Thanks.
Stu
Supporter

Post by Stu »

paul97 wrote: 19 Aug 2020 11:56 I called Pinkington and they said they would not sell to me and they could not give me the contact of a supplier. I also sent them an e-mail but I haven't heard back.
When I contacted Pilkington about a front windscreen for my 72 four door, they said "we don't have a classics division any more" and to contact a dealer. Basically they still make the glass but don't want to deal with the public directly. I contacted Fesler Auto Glass (Tyler@feslerusa.com) and he arranged for a windshield to be shipped to a Pilkington distributor/warehouse near me (closest one is in Portland, OR). Since it is being shipped to a warehouse, I did not pay for 'shipping' but rather a $75 boxing fee. The glass was $325 so the total came to $400 and I should see it in about 3 weeks. This was a better deal than Summit and I only need to drive about 30 minutes to pick it up.
Stu

1972 4-door 510
2004 Volvo V70R 6spd manual
Factory Five Racing Cobra
1991 Ford F250 4x4 extended cab
2005 Mini Cooper S - death via forklift :(
YEG510

Post by YEG510 »

Just bought a blue tint Fuyao windshield for $250cad
from Autoglass Solutions here in Edmonton.
They had it ready for pickup the next day. Owner said he has lots of availability.
Seemed at least half the price of the other suppliers in town
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

$250 is about the normal price for the fuyao. The pilkington is a much better windshield.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

We put an old factory window back in our racecar a year or so ago. it's beat down but the cheap Chinese windows bust out to easy. We lost 1 ever other race (32 hours per window) the old factory glass has been so tough. Are the Pilkington windows as thick as stock?
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

They are the same as stock from what I remember.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I have seen a range:

The Chinese ones are thinner by far...I never did mic it but I do remember it was quite a bit thinner. That being said it has sealed in the window rubber no problem. Byron put it in for me and he remarked it was easier than normal.

My ORIGINAL windshield, 1973 was 7 mm

My replacement PILKINGTON...and there is another persons windscreen in the box..measured 6.2 mm and 5.8 mm, which surprised me, I would have thought some consistency from one such as PILKINGTON.

My Chinese one, which is still in the car, started to get those small chips and dings in the first summer of driving and took a big rock hit, which was able to be repaired.

This windshield went in in 2008, which now has 17,000 miles on it. Other than going into the direct sun, it is still not bad. I complained originally due to one drive we did where there was still winter sand on the mountain passes and that trip did most of the sanding and micro chips. Byron and I both lost our original Cibie headlights too on that trip.

Keith Law