'71 4 Door - Mikuni'd KA24DE

View and post your 510 project(s)
demo243

Re: '71 4 Door - Mikuni'd KA24DE

Post by demo243 »

Sitting on 13's again!

ImageUntitled by D M, on Flickr

Still need to mess around with a few things and play wheel roulette to try and get the wheel weights too clear.... Front passenger has a row of them that are just hitting...  Tires are older, but in decent shape, will run them for now. Gotta keep my eyes open for a decent set of 195-205 13's... Federal says they make 595s, but nobody has them in stock... I found some no name Vitour Formulas in a 195/55r13, but no information on them, and they are still $100 bucks a tire... I think I can still get some Toyo RA1s for ~$140 each, but thats more then I was hoping to spend... I worry about getting anything balanced on these wheels as well, since realistically the only place for weights is the very inside edge of the drum...

Brake clearances are SUPER tight. 

Didnt think I was that into slots, but I dig the look now. Car is soo low on 13s too.

'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - Carb'ed KA24DE
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

Man... that's very tight! Those 13's look great!
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Doraemon wrote: 17 Apr 2021 13:03 Man... that's very tight! Those 13's look great!
Thanks!

Yes it is tight! Im running DPs small Wilwood kit, and still needed to have some custom brackets done up to pull the caliper a couple mm closer.

Im really digging the change. Ive been wanting some new wheels for a while --- was into the Rota Grids (TE37s) for a while, and currently really lusting after the TBTs... but they are a 15x8 0 and there is no way they will fit on the 4 door, both in the back and up front on 510 struts. --- These filled the niche nicely. Now I'm hunting for tires though.... 13" street tires are just nearly impossible to come by!
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Not much to update... Really havent been driving the car enough unfortunately... between the rain, busy summer, and being tucked back in the corner it just hasnt been out much.

Took it out to the local cars and coffee a few weeks ago though. Its a nice show with a good bit of variation in cars.

I guess I have officially joined the low club --- at least on 13's... Came across a trench in the road where the pavement had sank a little bit... smacked the crossmember in the process... ouch... 

Picked up a new steering wheel as well- decided to give Renown a try since the same Momo was hard to find. Havent driven it yet, but so far it feels nice! Need to find a slightly thinner steering wheel adapter though to get it back in the proper position. 

Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Looks great with the "D" slotted mags. Ya, being that low (in my opinion) on Massachusetts/NH roads is not a great idea, to many suspension killing pot holes and sunken manhole covers. This is the only reason my 510 doesn't sit as low as most. Now that Paul has his 510 on the road we need to take a drive. I'm with you on the haven't driven the 510 much because of all the rain but I did get it out yesterday for a drive to work. It's always like a new toy when you haven't driven the 510 for a spell.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Three B's Racing wrote: 17 Aug 2021 05:06 Looks great with the "D" slotted mags. Ya, being that low (in my opinion) on Massachusetts/NH roads is not a great idea, to many suspension killing pot holes and sunken manhole covers. This is the only reason my 510 doesn't sit as low as most. Now that Paul has his 510 on the road we need to take a drive. I'm with you on the haven't driven the 510 much because of all the rain but I did get it out yesterday for a drive to work. It's always like a new toy when you haven't driven the 510 for a spell.
I dig the look of the slots... but unfortunately 13" tires are getting very hard to find... Hard to justify the cost of the R888s right now for those. If I actually got it to the track or AutoX it might be a different story.

I agree with you on the MA/NH roads, they are terrible.

Need to get some new tires on my 15's - trying to decide if I do the same 205/50r15 Falken 615s or bump down to a 205 or 195 in a 300 treadwear like a Yoko V701. Would be better in the off chance I get caught in rain... and the 195 would give me a little more breathing room.

I saw that Paul got his car running - we definitely need to get the 510s together.
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Pulled the trigger on the Falkens. Should arrive tomorrow and be mounted up in the next few days. Hard to beat the price on them compared to other 200 treadwear tires.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

We should have all gotten together and gone up to watch Dave Patten run his 510 at the "Race to the Clouds" Mt. Washington Auto Road race last weekend plus to see Pastrana break his record. But I had forgotten about the race plus got the date F'kt up Argggh!
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Three B's Racing wrote: 19 Aug 2021 04:44 ^^^
I wanted to get up there for it! Unfortunately ended up away that weekend. I saw a few photos of Dave's race car, would be great to see it in person!
Three B's Racing
Supporter

[/quote]

I wanted to get up there for it! Unfortunately ended up away that weekend. I saw a few photos of Dave's race car, would be great to see it in person!
[/quote]

Well, if you were in need of some Futofab gear we could meet at my place then head up to Dunbarton for a purchase/visit and tool thru the twisties up there.
- John Lennon
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Three B's Racing wrote: 20 Aug 2021 07:23 ... tool thru the twisties up there.
You had me at tool through the twisties! I'm getting ready to run the car out to Limerock for the Vintage Races over Labor Day weekend, but sometime in Sept/Oct when the weather is good could be perfect.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

demo243 wrote: 20 Aug 2021 10:18
Three B's Racing wrote: 20 Aug 2021 07:23 ... tool thru the twisties up there.
You had me at tool through the twisties! I'm getting ready to run the car out to Limerock for the Vintage Races over Labor Day weekend, but sometime in Sept/Oct when the weather is good could be perfect.
Lime Rock next weekend ha? Hmm!!
- John Lennon
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Three B's Racing wrote: 29 Aug 2021 10:10 Lime Rock next weekend ha? Hmm!!
Ill be there! Got a camp spot back on the Uphill. Weather on Thursday is looking crappy.. so probably drive out early Friday and come home Monday.

Got another event you might be interested in on Sept 18th - out at Thompson. The CT Z Car club is having a gathering. I think CT Cart is running AutoX that day to? and we will supposedly get a a paced lap or two of the track. Gotta send it to Paul as well since its not to far for him.

http://forums.ctzcc.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10044
demo243

Post by demo243 »

We’ll it’s been over a year since I have posted here… have a kid they said- it’ll be fun! Actually it is pretty fun, but it has definitely taken a lot of time away from the Datsuns.

I really haven’t done anything to the car other then change the oil. Oh I did swap my 4.11 rear end back in to help a little bit with the highway driving over the 4.44 I had in there.

Drove it out to the Vintage races at Lime Rock a couple weeks ago. Put more miles on it just driving out then I did all summer! It was a great weekend. Was able to get a few Z friends together and we snapped a few shots. Didn’t bring my big camera this year but did snap a couple other Datsun race car photos too.

Always cool having Datsuns in the rearview

Two 510s racing this year, but the blue one ran into some trouble and retired early.

Only issue with the car right now seems to be an intermittent high oil pressure issue. Popped up on the way back from Lime Rock, and again when I went to drive it on Monday. Need to do some more diagnosis.

Also will post this up here -

I am actively looking for a 2 door 510. Would consider a clean 4 door as well. Sold the 620 so time to add another one to the stable.