Darrell

street legal?

Post by Darrell »

is it ok to :

1 replace interor with sheet metal
2 replace dash with sheet matal with all the basic gauges
3 have a fuel cell
4 no headliner

my 510's interor looks like shit . i want to strip every thing down and have just the functional parts
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

1,2 and 4 for sure. Even though a Fuel cell is safer...who knows how 'they' will look at it...
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

how bout no front and rear bumpers?

it'd be nice if i could shave the side lights too. my buddy said it's ok to shave them as long as i have refective tape on both sides. i was thinking to shave them and put small LED singal lights on the sides
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

no bumpers is definalty illegal. you won't get pulled over necessarily just for that, but if you are ever pulled over for somethig else, including a road block, you could be screwed.

the lights is tough. you always need fronts, but the rears were only required from 69. now whether a police officer knows this, as most new cars don't have a side marker specificaly, will decide if you get in trouble.
I personally will be removing mine in the future. I'm currently missing one on the left front, and the right front is unplugged. both rears work. but as some know, the left front of my car is not "correct", and the "correct" fender is being fixed and no longer has the hole.
I also have no front bumber and haven't had any problems.

the same similiar thing with seat belts. the 3 point system wasn't required until mid-model, so I run just lap belts in my 70, which is illegal, but they don't know specifics, so...
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
wtf

Post by wtf »

Who's going to know you run a fuel cell? Unless you're going in for an inspection, who cares.
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

I run with no rear bumper... actualy I heard that the 510 bumpers are not needed due to the fact they add zero safty factor to the car.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

Good point Tob. I don't think I matters what the fuel's in, as long as it's securely mounted in a safe location. Again, only relevent in case of inspection.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

I think for safety you'd want side marker lights. Blinking side marker lights are even better.
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

side markers are a MUST unless you can pass them off as never being there stock..but if the cop knows 510s and knows the markers should be there... SAFTY INSPECTION!
wtf

Post by wtf »

///FiveOneOh wrote:I run with no rear bumper... actualy I heard that the 510 bumpers are not needed due to the fact they add zero safty factor to the car.
They're still a bumper. It's braced against the body, and it stops shiet from hitting your grille/rad/hood etc. etc. I'm sure it's illegal, But who's gunna stop you for it? An anal retentive cop. So prepare for inspection.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

couldnt i just say to the cops"err.. i cant find any parts for this car any where espeicaly a decent front bumper"
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

Darrell wrote:couldnt i just say to the cops"err.. i cant find any parts for this car any where espeicaly a decent front bumper"
Hahaha, probabaly dont say 'decent'. Even then i assume he would just laugh at you.
wtf

Post by wtf »

5teN wrote:
Darrell wrote:couldnt i just say to the cops"err.. i cant find any parts for this car any where espeicaly a decent front bumper"
Hahaha, probabaly dont say 'decent'. Even then i assume he would just laugh at you.
Never bring up the fact that your car is substandard in any way, shape or form, d00d. If they see you don't have this-or-that.... Inspection !! Say that it's very dificult locating one, and you're having your friend fabricate one for you.... Just totally bull shit 'em.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

*nail a 2X4 on the sheet metal*
dat.evil

Post by dat.evil »

hey darrel you should try and get some side lights from oz thats were iam at we have factory small ones that look great they are half the size of yours .