Arriving Soon...

View and post your 510 project(s)
TheHeretic
Supporter

Arriving Soon...

Post by TheHeretic »

Had no plans for another 510 and not really the extra garage space but was browsing online (bad idea) and stumbled upon this 1971 2-door model in beautiful shape. Fell in love with the stock appearance and unique interior color and spontaneously purchased it sight unseen and without even talking to the owner. Following that, a mild panic attack occurred lasting about 1 hour. :shock:

Was able to chat with the owner the next day and felt much better after hearing the history of the car and the quality of the mild restoration he did on the car. Talked him into selling me a matching needle NOS tachometer for a fair price as well. Much more to follow including detailed pics and hopefully some opinions along the way as you share in the experiences of driving a 100% stock 510 along with potential debates on if any slight period correct modifications should be made at all.

Loaded up today from Kentucky and should be arriving Sun/Mon into sunny California.

Last edited by TheHeretic on 22 Jun 2016 11:00, edited 2 times in total.
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Re: Arriving Soon...

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Wow! Nice score.
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

She's a beauty from 25ft for sure! I look forward to more details and photos when you get it. What colour is the interior?
The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Damn - it does look nice. I'd be excited too.

What does a stock example of a 510 fetch in Kentucky these days?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

Interior color picture from the online posting below. I'll take some better pictures once the car arrives and have a link to all of them posted. One of the challenges I have always found is getting information to how the factory originally put these cars together. It seems that basically every Datsun 510 online has a decent amount of work/modifications completed. So a detailed link with many high-resolution pictures of a stock 510 might be helpful to others so I hope to provide that.

Carpe Diem!
Ryan
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

White on Blue - did the blue interiors come on any other colour?
This is the only way I have ever soon them aside from my blue on blue 68 4 door.
A good friend of mine started a resto-mod on a white on blue 2dr car many years ago. A car I caged, but it still sits to this day in primer. I believe he kept the blue interior panels and the rear seat. The front seats were chucked as far as I know due to their rough condition.

Cool car, love to see more when you get it.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

very nice find. your interior blue looks very different than the metallic blue in my blue by 4 but it could just be the pic
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Early US Parts Catalog lists only one blue for the interior, but three textures for different spots of the interior. Also only lists blue interiors on Blue 567 and Light Blue 562 cars, but again this is for the early cars, '68-'69. Someone else may have a later Parts Catalog.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

I saw this 510 on some site a couple days ago, it's condition looked outstanding as I glared at the photos for several minutes.

Enjoy!
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

I'm still looking into the interior color code/option but was told by the previous owner it was a 1971 only option. This seems to make sense as I have found the same color interior online in a few pictures of 1971 240zs. Hopefully, someone else will have some knowledge into it.
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

My sons 70 wagon had the same color but his exterior color was light blue.
spriso

Post by spriso »

There are at least 2 variations of the blue interior that I know of.

My 1970 PL510 was 831 white and had a more aqua blue interior than this one. The later cars (like this one) had a "metallic' blue interior (and the later door panel design). I recently sold some of my original panels here are the shots:

Early, Aqua panel:

Late style panel:

Hard to see the difference in this light, but it is pretty noticeable in natural light.

Anyway-- great looking car you have bought there, can't wait to see more pics!

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Nice car. Can't wait to see more pics.

My 70 2 door was color code 567 (light Blue) and had a blue interior.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
timm510

Post by timm510 »

Nice score!
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

Well the car showed up this past week and is absolutely beautiful! Drove it yesterday for the first time and let me tell you driving on bias ply tires is very different. Not entirely confidence inspiring...

Also found out that we going to have another child which means three little rugrats running around soon. Definitely a nice surprise but a big surpise none the less. Based on that news and a number of other factors including my sentimental attachment to my existing 510, it looks like this one will have to be sold again. :( Hopefully, the new owner will keep it much longer than I will.

Going to finish prepping it for sale and then will post a ton of pictures for your enjoyment.
Carpe Diem!
Ryan