Anyone use a pressure bleeder?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
MtnGoat

Anyone use a pressure bleeder?

Post by MtnGoat »

Saw some on Amazon, they seem like a great idea. I'm not sure which version is the right one to fit our Datsun master cylinders, but it would appear this is a pretty good idea. I'd sure love to pour a couple quarts in the pressure tank, pump it up, then just walk around and let each bleeder go till it runs clean and bubble free.

These things work?
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Anyone use a pressure bleeder?

Post by okayfine »

For that kind of money I'd look for a good pressure/vacuum pump that will work for lots of things and not just BMC tops.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

I have a vacuum system with bleeder accessory. I'm tired of running back to the front to refill the stupid cylinder, which I always forget.

I suppose I could use an old master cap and rig up some kind of pressure vessel for a do it yourself version, see how it works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

With a pressure/vac version, you could attach the reservoir bottle and push fluid through the bleeders at the calipers/drums.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Made this for bleeding the clutch system on my Audi. Bled from the bottom up and it required 0 pumps.

'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Sorry, I owe a bit more explanation. That's just a pistol grip oil can I got at my FLAPS for ~$10. I attached a piece of hose to the end and use the can to fill the hose before I attach it to the bleed nipple. Crack the nipple and pump to your hearts content making sure you don't overflow the master or run an air bubble into the system with the pump. Close bleeder and remove the hose. Enjoy your quick bleed job.

For me this didn't require anymore bleeding but it could change for different systems. I have yet to try this on my 510 or 240.

Motivation came from YouTube. Skip to the ~4:50 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdf--suwqw0
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

I've been fighting a soft pedal issue for a week now, finally crossed the street to a mech shop to have them pressure bleed it. Couldn't access the master ports due to the pressure plate needed for dual master. No air out of calipers, still soft pedal. Took it home and 4 hours later bled the master and got a cloud out of each, which slightly stiffened the pedal. In summary, if you get the chance to pressure bleed, try your hardest to access the master first. My 2€. Trades humor...
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.