SPEED gone from Shaw Cable

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
bertvorgon
Supporter

SPEED gone from Shaw Cable

Post by bertvorgon »

I have noticed a few times, and on my latest Shaw bill, that SPEED will be removed from the Shaw line up, as of April 1. While I consider it the NASCAR channel, it still had some motor sports stuff that I watched. Just another nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned, as I'm so close to cancelling my cable anyhow. I pay 760.00 a year for the crud that I get and even my wife last week said..."There's NOTHING on!"
Other than Walking Dead........

I have seen how to watch stuff online, and I now have a CHROMECAST device that lets me send stuff from my computer to my TV(s), all in HD. YOUTUBE videos sent to my HD tv are pretty spectacular, now that most stuff is HD.

Hello Shaw.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_%28TV_network%29
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
icehouse

Re: SPEED gone from Shaw Cable

Post by icehouse »

Yeah we don't have cable just internet. Our TV is hooked up to Apple TV which has a bunch of things built in. Like netflix, HBO, PBS ect. Some are free some aren't. I'd rather pay little bits for the few things worth having than a big chunk for a bunch of crap with commercials. I'm into ZERO pop culture so I've never tried to watch anything live, well besides politics which is really easy to find on the internet.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

SPEED died in the US a couple years ago. FOX owns the channel and they're using the channel slot for Fox Sports 2.

A la carte is happening despite the cable industry not wanting to provide it.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

They continued it on in Canada until their contracts ran out. It came off Telus last fall. Not a big loss. All the good racing was removed when Fox took it over and changed the name.
1972 Yellow 4dr
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I canceled cable 4 years ago because of the crap that was polluting my kids’ minds mostly.

Besides it was a distraction that life didn’t require.

A year ago I needed to switch to Shaw hi speed cable because my Telus speed was so slow - no high speed option from Telus in my area. For a year now Shaw has been sucking me into promotion after promotion trying to get me hooked on cable - until this month I had not paid a cent for it all year. Now that I have to pay - I canceled as I just don't need it. My have not changed my mind since 4 years ago. I sampled it again, but face it - cable programming sucks, period.
So with that I don't mind seeing an end to an era. Go back to the old days where I have a news channel and decent kids programming, and I'd be ok. Otherwise - I'm out. Old days of course being relative from a guy nearing his mid 40's....

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

OLD DAYS...yah...that's a relative reference point..... :lol:
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I read an article yesterday about living in NYC "90 days without cellphone, internet or cable". Sad commentary that that seems like such an unbelievable feat of accomplishment.
I call that living in Vermont.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

No Kidding! Being the old school fart that I am, I find it staggering when I go down town and see all the people with their face buried in their devices.

My wife and I sat down in a restaurant the other day...young couple come in, maybe late 20's. They sit down and start working on their phones..not one word spoken...after 10 minutes..waitress comes..of course they have not looked at menu...then..she comes back and takes quick order, they go back to device....lunch comes...they hardly spoke a word to each other....just bizarre.

When the Zombie Apocalypse comes, there will be very few who know how to survive, which is good, more food for me...my bunker is ready!

Keith Law
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

My wife e-mailed me from 6 feet away. But it was on my computer. Have never had or owned a hand held device, will never own a hand held device. They are the biggest waster of time ever invented, almost as bad a car forums. I like watching the zombies we have shuffle/walking and riding around right now.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Me neither Mike!

I still have a land line at home. No kidding about walking zombies, it is just crazy in downtown Vancouver at crosswalks...NOBODY even makes an effort to look anymore as they step off the curb....AGAINST the do not walk sign, which of course they did not look at. Drives me crazy as it screws up all the right and left turn timing at lights.

Keith Law