Great shirt Rush!
edekalil

Re: 72 2 Door 510 Restoration-25 years in the making

Post by edekalil »

Cool
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Rush wrote: 01 Dec 2023 17:54 Bradicuss hooked me up with a nice fan so I'm all set again!

And with the Christmas season upon us, I have to show off the shirt I designed& printed! Santa has a sweet ride, if I do say so myself!
Cool shirt
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks!
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Rush wrote: 15 Sep 2023 13:16 Yay!!! 😍

Beautiful 510
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks so much! I am really happy to finally be driving it again! Well, not since October because our weather is terrible, but in general! 🙂
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

So Santa brought an electronic distributor and a new coil. Yay! I have no clue what to do with them. Well, I mean beyond wanting to put them in my car! There are no rules included and I've never dealt with an electronic distributor/ignition so I have no idea if it's complete or how to install, or if I need to change wiring or what. I've seen the terms "Pertronix", "Matchbox" & a version of a GM HEI but I don't know anything about them or if this is the same as one of those systems.

Can anyone point me to some reading so I can learn about how to install, etc?

510rob

Post by 510rob »

bash through the datasheet for the old Motorola MC3334 "High Energy Ignition Circuit" - it explains the essential principles that all of the electronic ignition systems are based on...

page 3 explains everything from an engineering perspective, but from that, you will understand the rest of the systems (like wizard knowledge)

https://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datash ... CF3334.pdf
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks, Rob! I'll have a read-through.
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

What is the brand/make of the distributor?
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

I don't know, it seems to be unbranded. It came from ZcarDepot.
https://zcardepot.com/products/copy-of- ... f22c&_ss=r

It seems to be the same as this one? https://www.hot-spark.com/1-HS-HIT4-Distributor.htm
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

So, I spent New Year's Eve day working on my car. I installed the new electronic distributor and coil. I followed the directions at Hot Spark and it works! Yay! I had to exchange the coil hubby bought for a 3.0 resistance one, and use the stock mounting plate/new O-ring on the new distributor; otherwise, it was straightforward and the car started right up. It runs like a champ. I won't be able to fine-tune it until spring (we just got snow 2 days ago; figures) but it runs smoothly sitting there! The top end sounds a little clackety so I need to do some reading & see if I need to make some adjustments in the head or something.

I also finally found hood trim, in Canada, of all places! Woo hoo! It had 2 dings in it that I massaged out last night but one of them is right behind one of the mounting tabs so I can't get to it very well to get it smooth. It's better than it was but it's not perfect there. I wet-sanded and polished the hood trim and the lower gill piece I got from Iceman510 and with a little more love, they'll both be ready to go on the car. I'm so excited, it'll really make the front end shine!

Santa didn't stuff bumpers into my stocking so I'll have to save up for a set but they're next on my list.

Video:
https://youtu.be/27sS9j3GPDU
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Glad you were able to source the hood trim Rush... The local guy I have been trying to get a 69 grill from, who also had a hood trim that I was trying to get for you has gone silent on me unfortunately. I'm sure shipping from Canada wasn't cheap, but glad to see it arrived safely.
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks, Owen, I really appreciate your effort! I didn't look at the shipping tag too closely but the guy packaged it up really, really well, in the perfect box, with a wood base so that had to add quite a bit to the price. He clearly knew what he was doing. It's a guy called Riggs Vintage Mazda in Calgary (I think). It looks like he fell into 3 510's he's parting out.
I found the listing on FB, I think you may be in the group, too. You might want to hit him up; maybe he's got the part you need, too.
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Rush wrote: 01 Jan 2024 10:27
It had 2 dings in it that I massaged out last night but one of them is right behind one of the mounting tabs so I can't get to it very well to get it smooth. It's better than it was but it's not perfect there.
With some careful judicious prying you can get those mounting clips out. Easiest on the ends, not so easy for the middle ones. Finding a perfect piece is really hard. I recently acquired one from Washington state that needs a little love too. I have a perfect one that I powdercoated black years ago (which I somewhat now regret following that trend) along with all the other front trim. Not sure if it could be feasibly stripped, but probably don't need to now.

Looking forward to seeing the front end of your car with those installed.