Differential Options

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Byron510

Differential Options

Post by Byron510 »

Guys, I'm embarking on plans to do a serious road trip in the Bronze this summer - Pikes Peak.

The drive will take me from the Metro Vancouver area to just south of Denver Co and back - a solid 3200 miles return - 23 hours’ drive time each way.

Aside from the installation of some much needed interior in my car, I have seriously considered a gear swap for this drive. I run a .86:1 OD 5 speed on 23.5 inch tall 15" tires, currently with a 4.375 diff. I run an EFI LZ2.2 pushing about 160 HP

I'm thinking of dropping down to a 3.7 for this trip, maybe even a 3.54 (3.36??!!). I plan on taking dad, and I want to make it as comfortable as possible.

But what I wanted to ask those who actually done the swap - what really works? If I put the effirt in, I'd rather go LSD. Clutch type is preferable. But then there are the input flange and the axles. I already run a WCR CV conversion, so a second set of adapters is likely in order. Otherwise I run 510 drive shaft and control arms.
Guys that have done swaps often include mods to drive train – drive shafts, stub axles ect. When I’m done this trip, I will put the car back to how it’s been for years because it just simply works.
But today - what's available. I'm not looking for something unobtainium. It would seem that LSD center sections for the classic R180 Datsun diffs are all but gone (please correct me if I'm wrong). So when we step into the later model Subaru diffs - what's out there, and summed up what's involved. Again - guys that have done it, not the internet "I heard it form a sister's, friends' uncle's second cousin third removed...." Seriously I'd like good solid advice here. Something, or a combinations of somethings that will bolt in this application.

Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated - thanks.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
sssr20det510

Re: Differential Options

Post by sssr20det510 »

Subi sti rear diff r180 clutch limited slip 2004-2006 3.70 gears. You can buy adapters to stock axles or there are a few ways to go cv axles
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

You didn't post up what sort of budget you're looking to go for. I believe your cheapest option would be be a 3.364 R180 from a 240Z but the LSD would be spendy if you wanted one.
Here's a list of all the ratios in the Z cars if you're interested.

I cleaned up the sheet I made the other night for doing speed/rpm calcs and it lives on google docs. Anyone can edit it and it shows you pretty easily how different parameters affect the gearing/RPM for a couple different setups. Here's the link. Let me know if it works for you.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I'd personally go with the 3.54. I ran one for a trip to King, NC a 15 hour drive then to Summit Point with my bud Keith a 6hr drive then back home to NH another 9 hours. It was great!!! crusing at 77 mph at 3500 was great or at 70 mph at 3200 was even better. I'm running the S14 SR20DE with Tomie Poncams with a 23 diameter tire 0.83 5th. Horse power stock is 165 hp with the cams who knows but it sure woke the engine up. Anyway the 3.54 is a one legger and came from an auto 240Z I paid $75 for. It isn't bad around town but you will feel a slight power loss at low end as compaired to the 3:70 LSD that i am currently running. But because your going on a road trip why spend the $$ on an LSD when your simply going to be driving and not racing? Me I'd go the cheap way, a one legger and put the halfshafts back in just for the trip. Heck it's a simple 4 beer job right?

Lou
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

Byron,
Wolf Creek has the correct stub axles to do the STi R180 CLSD swap.

Talk to Todd about using an R180 with his axle kit. I believe the slightly wider R180 require slightly shorter axles. You could shorten the ones you have if that is the case, but going back to the R160 would require new axles.

Contact Todd, he will give you the correct info.
twalrich@ix.netcom.com
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

Byron and group,

Very interested in the outcome of this one. Options list combined with estimated costs should get an end result for Byron and provide plenty of info for the rest of us.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

DQ covered three different ways to adapt the later STi diffs; one covering the Beta Motorsports adapters, the other two involving fab/DIY.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

Thanks for the reminder...I'll go back and study my DQ's tonight
sssr20det510

Post by sssr20det510 »

2007 sti has 3.54 gears and clsd I belive
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

eh Byron.....here are a few of my Pike's souvenirs....
Attachments
IMGP7428 (Large).JPG
IMGP7428 (Large).JPG (321.98 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Im not sure if this is any help to your quest however it is an option at least.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Datsun-Max ... a1&vxp=mtr
Jesse C.

Post by Jesse C. »

My question would be, can you swap out the 3:54 gears from an R-160 VLSD and put them in an R-160 CLSD?

I have both, but, I would really like the 3:54 gears. Anyone?
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I have never cracked open a VLSD to know the internal differences, the optimum for less set up hassle would be to take the CLSD and bolt it in the VLSD carrier, don't know if it can be done. To figure your option, I would think you would just need to open them both and see if the R&P have the same configuration.
sss1600

Post by sss1600 »

Jesse C. wrote:My question would be, can you swap out the 3:54 gears from an R-160 VLSD and put them in an R-160 CLSD?

I have both, but, I would really like the 3:54 gears. Anyone?
Possibly, in the past ive swapped a Subaru Liberty vlsd R160 centre into a Subaru Leone open R160 before so the gearing may well interchange.

Byron, did you consider just stepping up a size or two in tyre diameter?...