Swap options and MPG's.

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
TUF510

Re: Swap options and MPG's.

Post by TUF510 »

My turbo fj20 in economy mode gets 30 mpg ie hwy
Power mode = 13mpg (approx 400-450 hp atw US - lots of non standard parts)
0-60 in 4 seconds and 12 sec 1/4 mile

Always keeps a smile on my dial
Some Boost in my FJ is good....More is better!!! :D
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Everyone run the tanks to total empty. I did did this with my black cage car. I had my Garmin GPS, 1 gallon can of gas, 5 gallon can of gas (for after the 1 gal ran out). I placed all the items I usually store in the car during my day to day commute.

I ran the tank to empty (Sputtering empty), Set my Garmin for miles traveled to zero. Added the single gallon of gas (reg grade octane), then ran the car to the same condition of sputtering empty. I managed to get 32 miles at 65 mph with the L-18 single webber. The last 3 miles was a sputtering chugging laugh. I added the 5 gallons then ran it empty again and averaged my mileage getting 30-32 depending on who was blocking the breeze.

Why couldn't a modern more efficient engine push this light weight car getting much better mileage? My Black cage car on the truck scales weighed in a tad bit over 1800 lbs.

Just a side thought. I have a friend who has a 89 BMW 325 with 2 transmissions inline concept. He has the second inline trans reversed to become a multiplier. His thought is 75 mph at 1500 engine rpm on freeway, and incredible pulling power with correct gear combos. :wink:
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Mattndew76 wrote:Why couldn't a modern more efficient engine push this light weight car getting much better mileage? My Black cage car on the truck scales weighed in a tad bit over 1800 lbs.
Weight matters to acceleration, so city stop-n-go. Doesn't impact much on the highway at constant speed. Also, a more efficient/modern engine in a 510 still has to deal with the same aero as any other engine, and that's a huge issue on the highway at speed.
Mattndew76 wrote:Just a side thought. I have a friend who has a 89 BMW 325 with 2 transmissions inline concept. He has the second inline trans reversed to become a multiplier. His thought is 75 mph at 1500 engine rpm on freeway, and incredible pulling power with correct gear combos. :wink:
There are easier ways of adding overdrive :lol:

And there's no torque at 1500rpm so if he wanted to pass anyone or go up a hill or just accelerate with traffic on the highway he'd have to downshift. Ask all the 510 guys with L16s and L18s how they liked the ZX 5-speed with the .76 5th gear.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
McWicked
Supporter

Post by McWicked »

Mattndew76 wrote:Everyone run the tanks to total empty.
This is a bad idea for folks running an electric fuel pump. It can also be a costly bad idea for people running an in-tank pump on a fuel injected ride.
Mattndew76 wrote: I have a friend who has a 89 BMW 325 with 2 transmissions inline concept. He has the second inline trans reversed to become a multiplier. His thought is 75 mph at 1500 engine rpm on freeway, and incredible pulling power with correct gear combos. :wink:
And that just sounds like the fevered dream of a mad man.

-McWicked
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I also feel I must weigh in on the mileage game - or not.
I put, on average 30 hours behind the wheel of The Bronze annually.
Honestly, I couldn't care less if I got 10 MPG! I just know if my mileage was that low in its current form, it just wouldn't be making nay power for being too rich! I drive it so little; the cost of annual insurance far outweighs the fuel I consume in any given year. Fuel consumption for me - well it is what it is. And I love it the way it is.
In fact I'm pretty sure I'm loving it more when I'm getting 15 MPG that when I'm touching that 28 MPG mark!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Byron510 wrote:I also feel I must weigh in on the mileage game - or not.
I put, on average 30 hours behind the wheel of The Bronze annually.
Honestly, I couldn't care less if I got 10 MPG! I just know if my mileage was that low in its current form, it just wouldn't be making nay power for being too rich! I drive it so little; the cost of annual insurance far outweighs the fuel I consume in any given year. Fuel consumption for me - well it is what it is. And I love it the way it is.
In fact I'm pretty sure I'm loving it more when I'm getting 15 MPG that when I'm touching that 28 MPG mark!

Byron

Agreed.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.