Gold Mine Tour November 3, 2013...book now!

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
mandylynn

Re: Gold Mine Tour November 3, 2013...book now!

Post by mandylynn »

Robyn and I are in! If it's alright with you Keith we would like to bring a friend who has some experience spelunking?
gooned

Post by gooned »

Hit up MEC and grabbed a 100 lumen headlamp:

was a bit more than the one from Lee Valley but I didn't have to leave town or pay a toll so maybe cheaper in the end? :idea:

I will be wearing my hardhat from work (since I have it but no bump cap), looks like I have a couple of "possibly" guests also.

Aron - I did the chipmunk caves MANY years ago and being a taller guy I got stuck a few times - never again :!: :!: what an awfull feeling :( , but the mines that have survived the test of time with wider passages etc don't seem to bug me (for the most part) and always a great trip back in time :D
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Betty and I zipped up to Whistler yesterday to catch the fall colours and hike around Lost Lake, which is anything but lost in the summer time.

The picture of the snow/glaciated mountains is called the Tantalus range, and we will be driving past them at the base, on our way to the mine.

Sure was a nice time to go to Whistler, no crowds, traffic flowed, what there was, and the fall colours were at their peak.

At least I can hijack my own thread... :)

Also...we carry no one out....we leave them the pistol and one bullet......
Attachments
IMGP7209 (Large).JPG
IMGP7209 (Large).JPG (153.77 KiB) Viewed 4305 times
IMGP7214 (Large).JPG
IMGP7214 (Large).JPG (300.06 KiB) Viewed 4305 times
IMGP7213 (Large).JPG
IMGP7213 (Large).JPG (190 KiB) Viewed 4305 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

bertvorgon wrote: Also...we carry no one out....we leave them the pistol and one bullet......
Gotcha... New boots purchased today.
Hard hat beside them, gwo lights in the back pack...

Looking forward go joining you all.

Bert, maybe post up some meeting details, and departure time. I'm really hoping it's not 4am...
Maybe expected duration of the day. You mentioned lunch, will we do a group effort or fend for yourself?
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

nice pictures Keith.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Ok, time to get a list of who is going and what vehicles may have extra seats.

Keith, Matt, Laura ( 1 seat Tracker)
Byron
Jason W. & Julliett? ( CRV seats? )
Jason K & ?
Robyn & Mandy & friend
?????

I suggest we meet at the St. David's United Church parking lot, at the top of Taylor Way, at 8:00 AM,

No crazy start times on this one, it will take us about 2 hours to get to the mine from here. Make sure your fueled up...BEFORE..you get here. We will leave this lot at 8:10 SHARP...if you are not here......
Not to be anal about the start time, but, we had a summer of lagging behind on the getting go, so MATT has laid the law down. Same with fuel stops, food, come prepared, the drive is not long, so you can fuel back up in Squamish

As we get close to the weekend, we will see how the weather is, in terms of how we do lunch. Best case is that it is not raining hard, Matt and I will build a fire, and we can roast some smokies, or whatever you want to bring. I will supply smokies and buns, plus some condiments. If it is raining heavily, bring some sort of snackie lunch and we can eat in the old mill building, at least out of the rain.

If it is raining, we have bush to go through, so dress appropriately, and/or bring a change of clothes for the drive back. The mine is dry inside for the most part. We do have Roaring creek to cross, and that is always a guess as to how, depending on water level. James and I hid an old ladder in the grass, it may still be there...or...we take a big RUN...... With rain predicted to come in, it is amazing how fast the mountain creeks can swell. We will do the usual photo stops to, for the new people. Likely even climb down to the river if it is not too wet.

Ropes not required! Have a back up light, just in case your main one fails, Murphy being the bugger he is.

After we leave the mine, we are going to swing up the other side of the valley quickly, just to see if the road is open after that avalanche, to check out the possible route to the old mine camp. We will not be going down, just maybe looking at an entry point.

Basically, this will be a day, so plan on being home anywhere from 5-6;30 depending on. The weather dictates a lot, so we will have a better idea by Friday/Saturday.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
gooned

Post by gooned »

At this point I'm solo and taking the crew cab duramax, (still haven't fixed the Dodge) however will likely stay for dinner in Squamish with Noel if he's around.

So I can ferry several bodies up the gravel but not the whole way...I'll confirm by Friday if I have seats and a return trip available.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

what would be better suited for the day? ImageImage
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I think the 510 would be fine, only one rough, loose hill, but nothing major at all.

Looks like we will have enough seats for the extra people with regular vehicles.

Keith Law
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

I'm in!!! :)
In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Hi guys, I'll need a ride as I don't think this is a trip for Ole Blue.

Anyone coming through Or past New Westminster?

Or I could meet you at???

Byron
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning Gang,

I thought we would all meet at that United Church, at the top of Taylor Way...8:00 am SHARP, as we leave at 8:10, leave vehicles there for those getting a ride. Byron, there will be an extra seat in the Tracker at this point.

Do NOT forget that the clocks change.....

looks like we might get a break in the rain on Sunday, will make judgement call on Saturday as to lunch plans.

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Sounds good Keith, see you there.

Byron
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Byron, I may have a seat open in the Honda depending on if Andrew and Joanne are coming or not, I'll let you know tonight.
Jason
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

There will be an underground map and small history sheets given out for the tour. Should you get lost in there, I don't want you starving to death.

As it looks like we will have quite a large group, I want everyone to be aware of the old timbers...DO NOT MESS WITH THEM. This is an old mine and not without it's risks. There has been a recent rock burst ( within the last 20 years ), and while we will not be going into that area, it does point out the risk. It was in the stope, which is a very open area with no support for the roof. We will be sticking to the main tunnels and going up an adit, which is relatively narrow, so should be well supported in terms of the 1 zillion tons of mountain above us!

You will have a colourized map, showing the flooded sections. We will be donning scuba gear for half the mine, as holding one's breath will not work for 150 feet of water.

we will be in the 1350 level, then climbing inside to the 1450 level.
Attachments
scan0006 (Large).jpg
scan0006 (Large).jpg (148.37 KiB) Viewed 4115 times

Keith Law