2.3L of fun

View and post your 510 project(s)
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: 2.3L of fun

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Well I got the car out for a longer drive a few times this past week. It was my drive to work for the past week so I took advantage of the last bit of nice weather and gave the new setup a real test.
The drive.JPG
The drive.JPG (149.06 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
64km each way with a lot of great corners. I did it twice each way so I really got a feel for it. In the slower corners and on the really bumpy sections it fantastic. It rotates better without feeling like it wants to swap ends and it feels way more controllable over the rough corners. Am I faster? No, in those sections the speed I can carry is about the same. It is just way nicer to drive.
On the fast long sweepers I could for sure use a stiffer bar. It picks up a bit more body roll than is comfortable on them. Maybe I could get used to it. I can still carry the same speed and it doesn't feel like there is any difference in grip level but on an off camber 140pkh corner that goes on for 15 seconds it is a bit disconcerting when you have a good bit of body roll.
I would really like to have a bar that is about twice as stiff I think. I'm not sure at the moment though. I am probably not going to get a lot more driving in till spring now so I will probably wait to get a few drives in the spring on it before I decide to change it or not. The way it rides on the bumpy roads is so much better I for sure don't want to go back to what I had.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Well flock it.....

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I have been working on a few things. I have the first one done. It turned out pretty good.
20210411_165554_copy_2000x934.jpg
20210411_165554_copy_2000x934.jpg (592.05 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
20210411_165603_copy_2000x934.jpg
20210411_165603_copy_2000x934.jpg (412.28 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
20210411_165612_copy_2000x934.jpg
20210411_165612_copy_2000x934.jpg (471.97 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
Cost a total of $50 and about 3 hours of my time.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

Nice! I love a good flocking. My dash looks a bit like that from a distance... and then as you get closer you realize that is dust piled up.
The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Well it has been a pretty slow year with the 510. I have only put on about 1000km this year. I have to drive a truck my company has provided to work every day so I only drive the car every now and then on weekends. I would drive it more but my clutch has started to go.
I have been looking into replacements and it seems that the KA24DE clutch and flywheel should fit. Can anyone confirm this? I have been looking at the Chromoly flywheel and clutch kits and am thinking about going with them. 11 to 13lb flywheel with 6 puck sprung clutch.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Same...I have only done about 650 KM so far this season. I do plan to both get a drive to Specialty to re-jet carb and hopefully a fall drive, even if it is just following Paul again.

Maybe quick blip to Bromley Rock with a loop on the old Hedley highway, see the fall colours..
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

I can’t confirm your clutch questions but I did go down the clutch upgrade rabbit hole on my KA. I used an rb25 aftermarket chromoly flywheel and a 350Z stock clutch/pp. This allows a 250mm clutch and holds ~300ftlb reliably and feels similar to stock.
Pay attention to the stack up height of your throw out bearing sleeve when you’re mcguyvering!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Looks like I found the answer. On the DP Racing page he has the same flywheel for the L motors, ka motors and the Z motors.
Thanks Jordan for the tips. I will make sure to watch out.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I would keep the stock heavy flywheel. I put for the first time ever a lightened flywheel in one of my cars and I hate it. It makes clutch release more of a pain and didn't feel like any more power. I also read afterwards a dude who worked at a shop with a dyno run his car after every upgrade. Lightened flywheel made 1 HP average, maybe for an L guy it's worth it but when that clutch fails and I gotta dig in it's going in the bin.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

icehouse wrote: 27 Sep 2021 13:15 I would keep the stock heavy flywheel. I put for the first time ever a lightened flywheel in one of my cars and I hate it. It makes clutch release more of a pain and didn't feel like any more power. I also read afterwards a dude who worked at a shop with a dyno run his car after every upgrade. Lightened flywheel made 1 HP average, maybe for an L guy it's worth it but when that clutch fails and I gotta dig in it's going in the bin.
What Flywheel you have in there? I have the 10lb Findanza IN MY SR20DE S14 and also had one in my 2.2LZ years ago and they were both awesome and were as easy to drive as the stock anchor flywheel. Is yours a stock flywheel that was lightened? If they remove material from around the outside you loose inertia making it difficult on take offs and traffic. Lightened flywheels from what I understand don't make HP, they simply allow the engine to rev more freely.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I had the 11lb findanza behind the stock L16 and it was easy enough to drive. I never had a problem with it.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

For what it is worth, mine is either 12 or 14 lbs, turned down steel one, we left it a tad on the heavy side for Solo type starts, which were hard with sticky race tires on. Some inertia was good.

It revs just fine.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I know my current is 14 or 16lb steel one. I'm not going to be going down a lot. I think changing from the 4 puck unsprung metallic clutch to a sprung one will make a bit of a difference also.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

It will be a nice difference. I used the unsprung disc for my race years..ON...OFF.

I put the sprung one in and it at least has some leeway when kinda feathering the clutch.

There are 20 years on my clutch this year. I did buy the last Roadster Pressure plate when Glen blew out the last of the factory ones.

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I have done almost 35000km on this clutch. That is pretty good I think for what it is and the way I treat it. I have gone pretty deep down the rabbit hole researching clutches, flywheels and pressure plates. I have it down to 4 different setups. I will post once I decide and have it in hand.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Most of this stuff is pretty bullet proof given a bit of care.

What I think of what my power train has been through, between Westwood, Mission, hillclimbs and of course 30+ years of Solo, I had almost zip for in use failures.

Your a smooth driver and that makes a lot of difference.

Keith Law