RUN TO THE CASCADES 2013

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
bertvorgon
Supporter

RUN TO THE CASCADES 2013

Post by bertvorgon »

RUN TO THE CASCADES 2013

As I thought about this year's drive, I really thought we need to go somewhere different. I could not stand that drive to Hope and back, I have done that a zillion times in my life. We really only have 3 routes out of the lower mainland and we have burned up a lot of fuel over the years doing the same thing.

So, this year, we are going to pop across the Border, cruise down I-5, cut over to Sedro Woolley, then proceed onto the Cascade Highway #20, to Winthrop, WA.. I am also working on the possible detour route at Concrete, that takes us up Baker lake road, over the top of the dam, then link back onto the #20 highway, and proceed to Winthrop. The North Cascade highway was developed strictly as a scenic highway, with views in mind, and actually has a whole loop component to it, which we will not do at this time. The highway winds up over two passes, hitting 1,669 meters, or 5,477 feet. The grade is only around 6 -7 percent, so it is not a fuel burner either. This highway is closed over the winter, as the snow load gets too great to keep clear, and, it is not a main route for commerce. This year, it opened early, with ONLY 30 feet of snow on it. Last year it was 70 feet in the avalanche chutes, which cover the highway.

I have scoped out Winthrop, small little town, has a Chevron and Texaco. Looks to be a few restaurants and taverns there, where we can grab some lunch. I then plan for us to come back the same route, other than the Concrete detour, back I-5, and then re-cross the border at Aldergrove, to minimize line ups.

In terms of distance, using Blaine as our starting point of reference, it is about 283 Km, or 175 miles. If we do the Baker Lake detour, that would add about 25 miles going. It's almost the same as if we drove to Princeton, to give you an idea. So, round trip would be about 603 KM, or 375 miles there and back, to the border, well within drives we have done before. In terms of time.....well...between photo ops, lunch, misc, I suggest this will be our usual 12 hour day, with an early start recommended, say cross the border at 5:00. This would get us down to Sedro at 6:00 ish and onto the highway before any major traffic builds. If we made sure we had full tanks in Blaine, I think we can all make the drive to Winthrop without another fuel stop?!

It is possible that the U.S. gang could meet us in Sedro Woolley, then they could complete the loop back to Everett.

To be continued.....

SOME LINKS:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/northcascades/

http://maps.google.ca/maps?bav=on.2,or. ... CCsQ-A8wAA
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
datsunscom
Supporter

Re: RUN TO THE CASCADES 2013

Post by datsunscom »

When is this event? I have a brother that lives in Winthrop..

Dave Lum
www.datsuns.com
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning Dave,

We have not picked a date yet, a few people finishing their cars still. I am thinking it will be in July.
I will start to throw up some dates towards mid to end of June, then people can plan, weather dependent.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
tbsteen
Supporter

Post by tbsteen »

I can attest that this is a very nice drive. Here are a couple pics from the last time I went over in my Roadster.

jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

All right, I'm going to be ready for this one! Working on the 510 today already!
Jason
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I'm in, but let's pick a date soon so that we can make concrete plans.

Sounds like a great trip, I look forward to it.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

OK, dates thrown out...

1st weekend , either July 6 or 7, Primary choice! Will narrow when we get closer.

alternate July 13 0r 14.

I am doing a major back pack wilderness trip, which we need to have a good weather window for also, I have no interest in camping beyond the middle of nowhere in the rain. I have not carried a heavy pack in some time, so I don't want to worry about the weather. Matt and I will go on the 13th or the 20th, depending on the Datsun drive.

So, be ready, car in GOOD running shape, NO ISSUES before we leave..if something crops up, fine, but lets not START OUT WITH ROUGH RUNNING OR LEAKING anything!!!!!!!! PLEASE.

Thanks for posting those pictures1 I am really looking forward to how scenic this drive will be.

Keith Law
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

"So, be ready, car in GOOD running shape, NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER before we leave..if something crops up, fine, but lets not START OUT WITH ROUGH RUNNING OR LEAKING anything!!!!!!!! PLEASE."

Yes. If your car has existing or ongoing problems - please leave it at home. Breakdowns hold up the whole group and stretch out an already long day for all of us. If you really want to go, my passenger seat is sometimes empty - if you're looking for a little thrill. Ha Haaa :twisted:

James
Last edited by McShagger510 on 13 Jun 2013 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

That's awesome, weekend is booked on my end.
Need to do a nut and bolt check, take a close look at the front wheel bearings. This will be a great drive to shake down of the new Setpoint EFI system. I still have a lot of learning to do on that system.

I look forward to driving the new route. My hopes are that a few of our friends from the PNW can join in.

Byron
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Sounds pretty good to me!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

This will be our tentative list as to who is going:

Keith & Matt
James
Pat R.
Byron
Jordan
Malcolm
Ron & Is
Matt S.
Deni

Washington People:
Chunstone
Last edited by bertvorgon on 05 Jul 2013 07:28, edited 7 times in total.

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I was talking wilth Malcolm yesterday - he's in as well.

Byron
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Count me and Is in!
msaunders
Supporter

Post by msaunders »

I'm in Keith
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

McShagger510 wrote:"So, be ready, car in GOOD running shape, NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER before we leave..if something crops up, fine, but lets not START OUT WITH ROUGH RUNNING OR LEAKING anything!!!!!!!! PLEASE."

Yes. If your car has existing or ongoing problems - please leave it at home. Breakdowns hold up the whole group and stretch out an already long day for all of us. If you really want to go, my passenger seat is sometimes empty - if your looking for a little thrill. Ha Haaa :twisted:

James
I'm too old for your idea of a little "thrill" James ;-)!
Jason