510 Wagon Traction Bars Group Buy

Post your forsale and wanted ads
nullbound

510 Wagon Traction Bars Group Buy

Post by nullbound »

I'm working with Kelvin Dietz on a new group buy for his Traction Bar kits for '68 to '73 510 Wagons. He had a small run a little while back and would be willing to do another run, but would like to have at least 6 buyers. If we can get 6 or more confirmed buyers (really just need 5 buyers, since I'm first on the list), the price for each set will be $280 shipped in the continental US. If we can't get 5 or more buyers, the price will be $380 per set.

510 Wagon Traction Bar Info
Some early pics of his design can be found on the following flickr link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelvins_pi ... 784952719/

The intent with this setup is to prevent the diff/driveline from hitting the floor on a lowered 510 Wagon. The pics in the flickr page are from the first set Kelvin put together. With the initial solid bar design, Kelvin found that the solid bars REALLY restricted the normal movement of the springs. Kelvin cut the tubes and did the telescope design and is much happier with the results of that change.

There is no axle wrap with the telescoping design. When you're on the gas, the two halves of the bar come together and effectively create a solid bar.

The telescoping rods can be seen in the following build thread: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/40112 ... ntry644473

Also, here's a video showing the movement during acceleration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVnxaI2KgTM

Kelvin reports to have a 3/16" gap when static. A simple piece of bike innertube held on by tie-wraps covers the joint. You can see it doesn't move much.

What's included in this kit
*Laser-cut Brackets for front leaf spring mounts and shock mounts
*Traction bars
*Heim joints
*Hardware (bushings, bolts, nuts, etc.)

This is essentially all the pieces you need to bolt it together. However, you will have to weld the brackets included in the kit to the shock mounts and front leaf spring brackets on your wagon. The bars themselves will not require welding.

Shock mount pic: http://flic.kr/p/9RnDeJ
Front leaf spring bracket pic, showing parts welded on:http://flic.kr/p/9RjKM6
Here's a pic of Kelvin's wagon with the bars installed:

Kelvin's car is around 2" lower than stock and he reworked the tunnel a little. Any lower than this and you'll likely have to do more work on the tunnel.

Purchase Info
In order to be a confirmed buyer, you will have to pay Kelvin 50% of the cost via PayPal up front. No money will be collected until we have the confirmed list of buyers. Once we get 6 buyers, I'll reach out to them via private message on the respective forum with Kelvin's PayPal address and they can pay him the 50% down payment. Kelvin will get to work on putting together the sets. Once the sets are complete, I'll again contact buyers and they can pay Kelvin the remaining amount. Once final payment is received, your parts will be shipped by Kelvin.

Disclaimer/Legal
The buyer assumes all risk as to quality, performance and use of these products and agrees to hold Kelvin Dietz, Ryan Ash, and this forum harmless for any injury, loss, or damage; including any and all incidental or consequential damages arising from the sale, installation, or use of the products in this thread. It is suggested that State and Federal regulations be checked before using these parts on your vehicle.

Basically it boils down to the fact that neither Kelvin nor I can take responsibility for your welding on the shock mounts/front leaf spring brackets.

Buyer list
1. Ryan Ash (nullbound)

Let me know if you want to be added to the list and we'll go from there.

Thanks!
Ryan
alsct1

Re: 510 Wagon Traction Bars Group Buy

Post by alsct1 »

I am willing to commit.

let me know
nullbound

Post by nullbound »

Very good. I had some others interested from Ratsun and this should put us at six sets. I'm going to put the list of those interested together and doublecheck locations. Shipping may be a little higher going to your location, but we can confirm that once parts are ready to ship.

Also, there's been a small change in that we no longer require 50% down. I'm working it out with Kelvin such that no one pays anything until parts are ready to ship.

Thanks,
Ryan
alsct1

Post by alsct1 »

Ok great! let me know.

Ashley
HapaHaole

Post by HapaHaole »

Can I join also?
nullbound

Post by nullbound »

I can't add any more sets at this point, but someone on the list may back out once the parts are ready to ship (just the nature of things). I can put you down as next in line if that happens.

What's your location?
HapaHaole

Post by HapaHaole »

I am in sacramento, CA Put me on the list for sure.
nullbound

Post by nullbound »

Small Update from Kelvin on status of the group buy:

Everything but the tubing is ordered, but that will be sourced locally. A lot of the parts required are in Kelvin's hands.

It's currently looking like this may take a month or so before parts are ready to ship based on current schedules.

Kelvin is looking to get a nearby motorcycle guy/shop that's near his location to weld up the "T" parts of the bars. The guy builds frames so we're guessing he can weld these to where they are both functional/strong and cosmetically appealing.

I have another update from Kelvin on my work PC that I'll post tomorrow evening.

Thanks,
Ryan
nullbound

Post by nullbound »

Small update on payment once parts are ready to ship:

Kelvin required half down in order to start producing the parts for this group buy. I footed the bill on my own so that this could move forward and paid the the half price for 6 sets of bars to get Kelvin started. Once parts are ready to ship, 1/2 of the payment will go to me and the other half to Kelvin before Kelvin will ship.

Current list of interested buyers:
1. Ryan Ash (nullbound)
2. KyushaKai (from ratsun)
3. dakotahchore (from ratsun)
4. ariascarlos1990 (from ratsun)
5. fivetenguy (from ratsun)
6. alsct1 (the510realm)

Next in line
7. HapaHaole (the510realm)
FJDatto

Post by FJDatto »

Sorry for the late reply, and probably (prolly) too late for this round. I'm in for this, too, when the second batch is ready to go.
nullbound

Post by nullbound »

There's no current plan for a second batch. For now, I can add you to the "next in line" list, in case someone backs out from the six sets per the GB.

Current list of interested buyers:
1. Ryan Ash (nullbound)
2. KyushaKai (from ratsun)
3. dakotahchore (from ratsun)
4. ariascarlos1990 (from ratsun)
5. fivetenguy (from ratsun)
6. alsct1 (the510realm)

Next in line
7. HapaHaole (the510realm)
8. FJDatto (the510realm)

Thanks,
Ryan
nullbound

Post by nullbound »

All parts are in and the T-Bars have been tig-welded. Next steps are to install bushings and to ream them to fit tubing inside. Parts should be ready to ship within the next two weeks. Once I have confirmation, I'll start pinging people to submit payments.

Updated list of buyers:
1. Ryan Ash (nullbound)
2. dakotahchore (from ratsun)
3. ariascarlos1990 (from ratsun)
4. fivetenguy (from ratsun)
5. alsct1 (the510realm)
6. HapaHaole (the510realm)
7. FJDatto (the510realm)
Nkl dme

Post by Nkl dme »

I'm really bummed that I haven't visited the forum in awhile and may have completely missed out on this.

Is there ANYWAY that another set can be made for me? If so, please let me know!

Thank you,

Brandon
NKL DME
nullbound

Post by nullbound »

Sorry, but we already stretched it to make a 7th set. I'll put you on the list in case anyone else backs out.

Updated list of buyers:
1. Ryan Ash (nullbound)
2. dakotahchore (from ratsun)
3. ariascarlos1990 (from ratsun)
4. fivetenguy (from ratsun)
5. alsct1 (the510realm)
6. HapaHaole (the510realm)
7. FJDatto (the510realm)

Next in line
8. Nkl dme (the510realm)
nullbound

Post by nullbound »

06/16 Update:

Kelvin came up slightly short on the 1" tubing he had ordered. The supply place had sold him a random length that was supposed to be right around 20', but it was more like 18'. He went back to get 2' more, but they were out. They're supposed to have more in later in the week.

That puts a delay in my last update, where we were hoping to be able ship within the next two weeks. We're currently hoping to have parts ready for shipping the first week of July.