240sx gas tank in a 510?

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
goichi1
Supporter

Re: 240sx gas tank in a 510?

Post by goichi1 »

Have you started a build thread yet?? I can't wait to see what you are working with!!! a mint 510, sounds interesting.
Paisss510

Post by Paisss510 »

A build thread... thats not a bad idea. Just dont make fun of me when it isnt mint, because to me it is <3
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Paisss510 wrote:this car has no smog
Sure the car still has to meet smog regulations. Just because CA doesn't test our cars anymore doesn't do diddly to the STATE and FEDERAL smog requirements that it still must meet now and forever more. The car is exempt from biennial smog testing. That's it.

Sure, the likelihood of you getting in trouble with an SR swap in your 510 is slim, but it has happened to others.

Now, if you have a 510 you imported under the 25-year exemption, you could put a jet engine in it and the CHP couldn't say "Boo!" Exempt from FMVSS.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Paisss510 wrote:A build thread... thats not a bad idea. Just dont make fun of me when it isnt mint, because to me it is <3
...no laughing here, everyone has their own view of mint, show up yours!!
Paisss510

Post by Paisss510 »

I doubt ill get in trouble with having a sr. There is no smog, which means, i can put whatever i want, yes, even a sr, chp aint gonna stop me, neither are you LOL

Okay great goichi, ill take pics as soon as i can, my phone got stolen recently in berkley so i have to buy a camera, i just pulled my motor out too!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Paisss510 wrote:There is no smog, which means, i can put whatever i want, yes, even a sr, chp aint gonna stop me
You are sadly misinformed.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

:roll:
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Paisss510

Post by Paisss510 »

Explain to me how i wouldnt be able to.... i register car, i only have to pay, no smog, whos gonna come to my house and tell me i cant do that?
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

http://www.importtuner.com/newsstand/im ... uidelines/

nobody is telling you what to do. their just concerned that a 510 might go to the crusher
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

Paisss510 wrote:Explain to me how i wouldnt be able to....
no one is gonna come to your house.
but the day a CHP sees you and has a hair up his ass, he is gonna flag(cite) you and send you in for an inspection. (don't pop the hood!)
that will be the day that the chippy doing the inspection is gonna say i had one of these in high school....pop the hood, OH its not the stock motor, well then you MUST meet the smog requirements of that motor now.

yes it has happened. :twisted:

i personally know a guy who sold his KA 510, just because of that hassle.

still slim & many have not had an issue, but don't think it can't/won't happen.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
Paisss510

Post by Paisss510 »

Your comparing a 99 civic to my pre smog 72 datsun....? That link is not made for pre smog cars, sorry.
Paisss510

Post by Paisss510 »

Not gonna say its impossible, but i think ill be alright lol let me worry about that.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Paisss510 wrote:That link is not made for pre smog cars, sorry.
This is where you are sadly misinformed.

As I posted above, your car IS NOT PRE-SMOG. PRE-SMOG is 1965 and earlier. ALL the 510 is is smog-test exempt. There is a difference. Each and every smog regulation applicable to your car when it was new is still applicable today. You still have to meet all emissions standards. You still have to have all factory-installed smog equipment attached and functional. There are ZERO provisions for anything else in CA/CARB law.

What's more, there's no way that, even if you were stopped by the CHP or any other police authority and they saw your engine swap and they referred you to the BAR, that you'd ever get your SR legal. The RWD SR was never a legal engine in CA in the first place. A KA24E, for example, has been made smog/CARB legal with exemption number for proof. But the KA was sold here. If people could make the SR legal, all the 240SX guys would be running around with them instead of slinking to the shady smog shops every two years.

Now, what are the chances of you getting popped by the popo? Slim. But not zero. Especially in Sac. Between that and your "knowledge" that your car is smog-exempt may very well get you into trouble down the road. Your unwillingness to listen to fact will do that as well.
Paisss510

Post by Paisss510 »

If you dont have to smog it, then how would you even know if your car is a mass polluter or not?
Paisss510

Post by Paisss510 »

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/0 ... p_Req.html

see the part that says UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES