Datsun Matsuri 2013!

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
DatsunDave
Supporter

Datsun Matsuri 2013!

Post by DatsunDave »

Hey all,

I am a little bit behind on some of the details for Datsun Matsuri 2013 but I didn't want to leave it too late. I'm happy to confirm that we're going to do it again!

I will have details and registration up a bit later but in the mean time, MARK YOUR CALENDARS and make plans to attend.

The first event was a big success thanks to everyone taking a leap of faith and trusting that it wouldn't be a flop. We had 43 cars out. This is a solid turn out for a first time event. For comparison, the Solvang Datsun Roadster Meet, celebrating its 25th year in 2012 (I think) had 86 roadsters (if my info is correct), so we didn't do too bad for a first shot.

Here are the basics:

Datsun Matsuri 2013
Kelowna, BC
Held in conjunction with the Knox Mountain Hill Climb
May 17-19, 2013 (show on the 18th)

In addition to the Hill Climb on the periphery, Datsun Matsuri is also part of a larger car show going on simultaneously so there will be plenty going on. Kelowna is a great spot for those who haven't been there before.

Here is the thread from Datsun Matsuri 2012 http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23415

Looking forward to seeing plenty of you there.

Dave
Datsun Dave
Edmonton, Alberta
69 SRL 311
74 (early) 260Z
510 on the bucket list
///FiveOneOh

Re: Datsun Matsuri 2013!

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

I'll be there again.
DatsunDave
Supporter

Post by DatsunDave »

Hey All,

I am a little behind on things so the registration page isn't up yet but plan to be there regardless.

Dave
Datsun Dave
Edmonton, Alberta
69 SRL 311
74 (early) 260Z
510 on the bucket list
DatsunDave
Supporter

Post by DatsunDave »

Just keeping everyone in the loop. Registration will open soon.
Datsun Dave
Edmonton, Alberta
69 SRL 311
74 (early) 260Z
510 on the bucket list
DatsunDave
Supporter

Post by DatsunDave »

Finally...

Registration is open: http://www.myautoproject.com/datsun-matsuri-2013/

A few other tidbits of info for you:

The T-shirt design will be finalized in the next 10 days. It won't suck. Essentially, there will be a number of popular Datsun models featured on the same shirt; Z, Roadster, 510, and a 320. The artwork will have a similar look and feel to the 2012 design.

I did a survey of 2012 participants and the result is the Twisties Tour is a no go for this year but there are some cool options for those interested in a little cruise on Sunday (a massive hot rod / muscle car show down the road about 40 minutes in Peachland, some great wineries to tour up in the hills around Kelowna).

New for this year is a swap meet (or "boot sale" as British friends say) on Friday night (again, based on survey results).

I've also been in discussions with a pro automotive photographer who is working on putting some affordable options together for those who want professional shots of their car. The photo shoot will take place same time as the swap meet (Friday night).

So, please go ahead and register.

Also, some great prizes this year too which I'll tell you about later.

Woooohooo
Datsun Dave
Edmonton, Alberta
69 SRL 311
74 (early) 260Z
510 on the bucket list
DatsunDave
Supporter

Post by DatsunDave »

For those wanting a lead on rooms...

Recreation Inn
Nothing special but clean and the absolute best parking and social layout for owners of little cars that don't lock up so well.
$99 special rate for show participants.

Kelowna on the long weekend is pricey so you aren't likely to find a better combination of parking / social layout (those who stayed there last year can chime in to explain more) and price.

When phoning to make a reservation, please quote either Group #413 or ask for the Datsun Collectors group.

(tf) 1-800-663-8603 (p) 250-860-3982 (f) 250-860-1095

ACT FAST! Rooms are filling up quickly.
Datsun Dave
Edmonton, Alberta
69 SRL 311
74 (early) 260Z
510 on the bucket list
DatsunDave
Supporter

Post by DatsunDave »

Anyone else from the Realm planning on attending? The roadster guys showed up the 510 guys last year...just sayin'. ;)
Datsun Dave
Edmonton, Alberta
69 SRL 311
74 (early) 260Z
510 on the bucket list
DatsunDave
Supporter

Post by DatsunDave »

Update Time:

Register by May 1st: $25

Register after May 1st: $50

Anyone else in?

Here are pictures from the 2012 event here:http://www.myautoproject.com/datsun-matsuri-2012-2/
Datsun Dave
Edmonton, Alberta
69 SRL 311
74 (early) 260Z
510 on the bucket list
DatsunDave
Supporter

Post by DatsunDave »

Well folks, we're 18 days away from the event and I am disappointed to report that registration is drastically behind what it was last year at this time.

I'm stumped.

Despite doing the same promo as 2012 and running what was a solid inaugural event to build a positive reputation for the show, registration currently sits at just 18.

I know there may be people who have been thinking about registering but haven't yet for whatever reason but I must now make a decision as to whether or not the event will proceed.

There are a number of logistical related decisions that cannot be delayed any longer and with the registration as it is presently, I can't expect the sponsors to keep any commitment to the event as they based their decision on being involved on registration being at least as high as it was in 2012.

Additionally, I do not have enough t-shirt orders to break even on the printing and I don't have enough registration to cover some of the core / non-variable costs.

So, while I am very disappointed to have to do this, the event is cancelled for 2013.

I am truly sorry.

Refunds for all those who have registered will be processed in the next 48 hours (or sooner).
Datsun Dave
Edmonton, Alberta
69 SRL 311
74 (early) 260Z
510 on the bucket list
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Sorry Dave, I'd come up, but, I just don't have one road worthy just yet ....
Jason
DatsunDave
Supporter

Post by DatsunDave »

No worries Jason
Datsun Dave
Edmonton, Alberta
69 SRL 311
74 (early) 260Z
510 on the bucket list
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

unfortunately my wagon is having a lot of issues as well. Was trying to get it fixed in time for the Matsuri. :cry:
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

To be very honest, I looked at the cost..50.00...to enter a car show......

It costs me over 250.00 in high octane fuel to drive up there and back.

I have some other things I want to get done this year, so I will be passing this year.

Sorry Dave.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
DatsunDave
Supporter

Post by DatsunDave »

The registration fee was $25 up until May 1st and folks had the option of registering by that date so the increase after May 1st couldn't have been a factor in the poor registration up until that date. And honestly, I only put in the "after May 1st" increase as a last ditch attempt at spurring on some who may have been sitting on the fence and I wasn't really intending on keeping it at that amount.

Obviously there are a number of factors that affected people's decision this year. Maybe there were other things I missed and some were likely out of my control. Know the weather has sucked this spring and that may have affected some people's decisions.

Some think the drive is too far but I drive a twenty hour round trip to put on the event so I may not have the best perspective on how far too far is.

Some have their car in various states of disassembly.

And the list goes on.

Anyway, no worries.

It's all good

Dave
Datsun Dave
Edmonton, Alberta
69 SRL 311
74 (early) 260Z
510 on the bucket list
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

For most of us, it usually has to be a last minute call, as we really don't need to drive in the rain/snow, that's why the registration early does not work for us ( at least for me, I should not speak for all). Last year was gorgeous on the drive up, and other than the "small" delay last year, the drive back was fine.

The distance is NOTHING, we do 500 mile days on our drives all the time.

I used to drive up with a van load of drivers to walk Knox back in our racing days, the Coke makes things easy now.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer