distrubutor question

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
murderwagon

distrubutor question

Post by murderwagon »

i have a distributor with the ignition module on it on a l20b i bought. i have no idea what the motor came out of but i need to buy a cap and rotor for the distributor. so i need a year make and model for the local parts store. thanks
okayfine
Supporter

Re: distrubutor question

Post by okayfine »

EI L20B dizzy is the same as any other. '78 510 should work fine.

DQ Volume 4 Issue 2 - Electronic Distributor Guide - Installing an electronic ignition distributor is one of the most recommended and a relatively simple modification. The benefits are clear: You get better reliability, more accurate timing and a more powerful spark that delivers easier starts, a smoother idle and virtually eliminates missing and stumbling at cruising speed.

^will have your distributor listed by part number on the body, can determine year, advance, etc.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
murderwagon

Post by murderwagon »

thank you i have had it on for about a year with no problem. but its starting to skip a bit and the cap is pretty gross. its a cheap aluminum terminal garbage cap in the first place. time for an upgrade
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

The only upgrade cap is the JH63X. Generally NLA from parts stores, but they are on eBay. I have one, it is better built, with copper contacts. Probably more a longevity thing than outright performance, but...
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

I have used the BlueStreak ones as Okfine has mentioned. that was made by Standard Motor products.

They sell another version with black cap and bradss contacks. close to 20$ retail.
Match box distributor I usually just say 79 200sx rotor and cap. But I believe all the way doown to 1975 will work for the rotor&Cap

Be honest I havent changed a cap in about 8 years on any of my datsuns. So maybe just clean them. swap in new plugs( I rarely change them also) and ck the timming and ck the valave lash.
tighten the carb intake bolts
murderwagon

Post by murderwagon »

motor is brand new valves are set, new ignition module, plugs, wires, coil. im positive the cap is junk. thanks for the advice thou.