Honda powered or Nissan powered ?

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
69five10

Honda powered or Nissan powered ?

Post by 69five10 »

When it comes to the time of completley finish restoring this car, i want to either go F20C or SR20DET. what are your oppinions on both these motors?

510rob

Re: Honda powered or Nissan powered ?

Post by 510rob »

Why have you not also considered a big block Ford V8?
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Putting aside cost and difficulty of installation, in my opinion, I would go with the SR20.
The swap has been done many times, there is lots of support in the community, it is a same brand swap, the SR20 can make gobs of power and the main reason for me would be

The honda engine is a weenie on torque.

I have driven an S2000 and an SR20 powered 510 and the SR20 just feels right. You need to rev the hell out of the honda to get the power. Below 4000 rpms it is a slug.

Just my opinion.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

69five10 wrote:When it comes to the time of completley finish restoring this car, i want to either go F20C or SR20DET. what are your oppinions on both these motors?
There have been a few lengthy threads regarding the differences between these engines. Search for 'em.

The two aren't, IMO, comparable in any way other than relative stock HP output. They are different makes, have vastly different support in the 510 community, make their power in completely different ways and have totally different powerbands. They generally aren't cross-shopped.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510rob

Post by 510rob »

...apparently they are. This is the 2nd or 3rd time someone has cross-shopped them, right?

That's why I figured it might be a good idea to introduce a bit of random noise to the system. If someone is considering two motors that seem so vastly different, then suggesting one that is a complete sidebar might expose the reasons for wanting each one... ...but probably not.

To the OP, why would you want to use an F20C?
pros as you see them?
cons as you see them?

Similarly, why would you want to use an SR20?
pros as you see them?
cons as you see them?

Why not a Miata engine? That's also a convertible sports car, just like the S2000, right? In that case, I suppose that an MG Midget engine also qualifies too...

(my point is, what criteria do you have in your head that makes you narrow down the pool to wanting an F20C or an SR20???)
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

That's well put, why those two choices? My guess is that the OP has seen 510's with those motors, and derived that these were common swaps.

I say go SR, but of course I would say that. I have 35k miles with my SR 510 and have loved every one of them.
Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

I would personally use the F20c, but you are going to need to do a lot more fab work...
The sr20 will be much cheaper and easier to get it up and running.
Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of lives problems- Homer Simpson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

510rob wrote:...apparently they are. This is the 2nd or 3rd time someone has cross-shopped them, right?
Touche. :mrgreen:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

510rob wrote:Why have you not also considered a big block Ford V8?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
q-tip

Post by q-tip »

Sr is going o be alot easier, sr20de would be even easier.

And plus cross breeding is wrong :lol:
'72 4dr w KA24DE
'76 620 king cab
00_si

Post by 00_si »

I might be a little biased but i think the f20c is the better choice just because sr's are so common.

My f20c is in paint right now

TUF510

Post by TUF510 »

at least with the F20C, if you decide to turbocharge it the turbo will clear the BMC :shock:
Some Boost in my FJ is good....More is better!!! :D
gumby510

Post by gumby510 »

Im going through a similar problem Im trying to decide between the f20c or L20 with a 2.3L efi and supercharger. I have a s2000 and I love it. I like the f20c power band and 9k, i cant get enough of it.

For me if Im going to swap something im going f20c, also with the f20c it gets good mpg 26ish (my s2k does 31mpg hwy with a 4.77 rear end) and hits my goal of 200-230whp NA which is really big to me. Id like to keep my L but to get the whp I want out of it I have to go boost (I dont like) and Id be in the 12-15mpg range.
71 PL510
92 rhd 180sx
01 s2000 aka skidmark
03 wrx winter car
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

my sr20det get's 30mpg
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

510rob wrote:
To the OP, why would you want to use an F20C?
pros as you see them? Not afraid to breed outside my species.
cons as you see them? Parents refuse to go to the wedding.

Similarly, why would you want to use an SR20?
pros as you see them? Very little risk of being social outcast by playing it safe.
cons as you see them? Been done... or talked to death about doing it
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs