kade head on lz24??

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
rustydatsun510

Post by rustydatsun510 »

510rob wrote:
rustydatsun510 wrote:smaller displacement block means more revs... more power (hopefully)
Oh man, cut the crap - small engines DON'T make more hopsepower unless they cost 10 times as much to build, and then only if it's something really special (and no passenger car based motor is that special, so don't get any funny ideas)
you quoted me but failed to read the quote... more power (HOPEFULLY) no crap bub, its called theory. I know this is the real world and things don't always work theoretically, but then again... lets bring up the s2000 engine 240hp from 2ltr disp. YES this engine make insane power for NA, its all in the revs, 120hp per ltr, viper V10 7ltr is a RACE bred engine makes 500hp (new viper, it also may be 8ltr) 62.5hp per ltr... now what?
rustydatsun510

Post by rustydatsun510 »

i never did bring up torque... thats another story altogether. You can always make ANYTHING work together... want a vtec datsun with a l series block? how much money u got? ;)
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

rustydatsun510 wrote:i never did bring up torque... thats another story altogether. You can always make ANYTHING work together... want a vtec datsun with a l series block? how much money u got? ;)
now that's just silly! nissan has it's own variable valve timing, etc. that I'm sure is near bolt-on.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

rustydatsun510 wrote:
510rob wrote:
rustydatsun510 wrote:smaller displacement block means more revs... more power (hopefully)
Oh man, cut the crap - small engines DON'T make more hopsepower unless they cost 10 times as much to build, and then only if it's something really special (and no passenger car based motor is that special, so don't get any funny ideas)
you quoted me but failed to read the quote... more power (HOPEFULLY) no crap bub, its called theory. I know this is the real world and things don't always work theoretically, but then again... lets bring up the s2000 engine 240hp from 2ltr disp. YES this engine make insane power for NA, its all in the revs, 120hp per ltr, viper V10 7ltr is a RACE bred engine makes 500hp (new viper, it also may be 8ltr) 62.5hp per ltr... now what?
I don't get it, 500hp is more than 240hp...
rustydatsun510

Post by rustydatsun510 »

ok... now you just screwing with me... not nice. You are right tho, 500 is more than 240, more than DOUBLE!! but at what cost? Is the viper able to make 30+ mpg? lets just say no... so for 1/3 the money, 1/4 the displacment, DOUBLE the gas mileage, you get half the hp, at almost triple the rpms. Comeon guys... am I the only one smokin this pipe or what? BTW you compare 240 to 500 but what about the hp/ltr arguement? 120 is almost DOUBLE 62.5 whice makes the s2000 the winner... :) BTW, this is the first time I got spencer to post a reply to somethin I said... cool!
rustydatsun510

Post by rustydatsun510 »

Ok... on the notion of torque... some of us like torque, love it... If the ka head bolts up to the l block, then the l head will bolt to the ka block. Lets go peanut head here, 41cc on 2.4l block that is stronger than the z24, hmmm. On the other hand you would be doing twice the work, you have to have custom trans option, oil pan, motor mounts, whatever... plus fitting the head. Sounds like a nightmare!
510rob

Post by 510rob »

rustydatsun wrote:am I the only one smokin this pipe or what?
Sorry my friend, but it kind of looks that way.
Son-of-DAT

Post by Son-of-DAT »

I have built many of these ka/l/z hybrids. Sohc and dohc 2.0-2.5l and next season dropping down under 2.0. These are unlimited formula replicas, only legal in a few forms of racing here in the US.

the basics

Many combinations are available utilizing l/z/ka series parts, in both FWD/RWD form. I prefer full custom rotating assembly components but as is well known, lots of compatibility here using oem parts. I recommend not using l series block with ka head or you will have a small leak issue :) dont try it. Stout medium deck ht z blocks are of choice. ka24e/ka24de heads from both rwd/fwd can but used in either platform (except for dual cam rwd heads in fwd).

Sohc ka head swap to any z series 4cyl block is no brainer, you even get to keep the stout timing/adjustment setup. Combustion chamber volume is large (65cc) in the sohc head, so custom piston or chamber volumes is necessary for high compression ratio. Front cover/deck passages/headbolt length is directly compatible. I have built many of these sohc, it is a great platform. I offer a few custom valvetrain parts for these engines online.

Dohc ka is similar in a few ways. Main deck layout of all ka20,24 is same so no issue here. Front timing cover modifications depend on cylinder head version, rwd 240sx model have extended front upper cover for the distributor drive so they are more difficult to mate to standard sohc shape cover. Rwd frontier ka24de and fwd altima ka24de do not have the distributor drive in this location so the cover is easier to fit. Some modification is required. Lower timing chain setup must be full custom, Ive made up a few of these sets for some in the race community as well as my own engines. Custom length chain/custom lower gear/and custom guides are required. Single lower chain is only option, I recommend a very high quality race chain for this, I use Renold race roller 06H on all of mine.

Always run external oil pump system on any performance build of the nature, the stock system is not even close to adequate. Dry sump is the option, but if the car has lots of sump room a nice wet sump with external scavenge can do the trick cheaply.

Also, never run bore less than 88mm with 2.4l head

I work with these a lot and have a lot of custom parts built in house, im slowly trickling some products online.

My latest build for the datsun i just got is a 2140cc dual cam. Full custom rotating assembly designed to be as low friction as possible. I have more time into the shortblock than i would care to mention. Cylinder head is a modified fwd ka24de casting with 35cc custom chambers, with custom intake/exhaust manifolds. I built another dual cam 2200 a couple years ago, and sohc ka hybrid has been around for years, its been done.

-deviousKA
jovial_cynic
Supporter

Post by jovial_cynic »

nice! do you have any online write-ups of the stuff you've done? maybe you can upload a video file of the engine running? that'd be pretty sweet...
71 510 2-door SR20DET (S13)
------------------
http://www.myagentjosh.com
http://www.newprotest.org/510
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

did anyone find anything online? I looked, but to no avail.
I'm intersted in what parts he's made/modified and why.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
jovial_cynic
Supporter

Post by jovial_cynic »

any updated information on this? i looked for zac510's site online, but it appears to have been knocked offline. ozdat's forum also seems to be down... and i think that might have had some information as well.
------------------
jovial_cynic
Supporter

Post by jovial_cynic »

oh... disregard. ozdat was only temporarily down, and the info to the KA-L hybrid on this thread:

http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t= ... sc&start=0

And... zac510 is alive and well, but his personal site is down. he's gonna put it back up soon. does anybody here have his site cached on their machine to share w/ the rest of us?
------------------