Derek's EFI-L18 4 Door MEGATHREAD

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
Gensaiken1

Post by Gensaiken1 »

Your project is looking really good. The car looks very nice, suprised you are willing to take it out driving on such harsh terrain.
1971 2dr Datsun 510 - L20b, 219 SSS Head, Roundtop SU's
Derek

Post by Derek »

Gensaiken1 wrote:Your project is looking really good. The car looks very nice, suprised you are willing to take it out driving on such harsh terrain.
You should not be surprised -- you and I already went over this on page 11! What's the point in building a race car if you're not going to race it?

That being said, I am more worried about it shipping across the country than I am about racing it in NFLD.
Gensaiken1

Post by Gensaiken1 »

Derek wrote:
Gensaiken1 wrote:Your project is looking really good. The car looks very nice, suprised you are willing to take it out driving on such harsh terrain.
You should not be surprised -- you and I already went over this on page 11! What's the point in building a race car if you're not going to race it?

That being said, I am more worried about it shipping across the country than I am about racing it in NFLD.
yeah I know, I figure if I say it enough you'll be like "oh yeah, thats a good point" :lol:

If I had a decent looking car that was race prepped I'd definately be looking at road courses. If it was already pretty rough i'd consider rally.
1971 2dr Datsun 510 - L20b, 219 SSS Head, Roundtop SU's
Derek

Post by Derek »

I don't know if you realize that this event is on tarmac (paved roads). I'm not taking this car gravel rallying until I crash it on tarmac :)
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

Derek I'm reminded when we switch rides at AutoX that one time and I got completely sideways through the crossover...ahh good times :-)

Good luck @ Targa!
Derek

Post by Derek »

Hi guys, since I can't access the Realm from home for some reason (just get a "page cannot be reached error"), I need to post at work, which means I can't really update this thread properly, so I'm just going to link you to a thread I CAN update from home. Feel free to comment or ask questions.

Derek

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=2503815
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Awesome stuff Derek, the car looks great and I hope Targa goes well for you.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Geeze Derek, if you're having that much trouble shipping, send it up on a truck to Vancouver and I'm sure we can get it onto CN Rail for you. Let us know if you need help there.

Nice work on the car, I really like the ride height she's at and with the Watanabe's and Falken RT615's, very nice! Good luck on the Targa and get us some of your usual superb video and pictures up here please!

Thanks
Jason
Derek

Post by Derek »

The car is already in Toronto via TFX International. I might end up shipping it back to Vancouver though on the train. Anyone want to drive it down to California for me?
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Ohhh, that's a tempting problem Derek, I don't think I can take the time off then though, school starting for the kid and moving work means no holidays this year for me.......
Jason
supersportsedan
Supporter

Post by supersportsedan »

What day? I have 4 days off a week.
15cent

Post by 15cent »

Nice read..Your car is so nice derek...Hope mines that clean someday ! Great work!
'72 2 Door Sedan
Z20 + 5Speed
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

I'm sure i could call in sick for a few days! ;)
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
Derek

Post by Derek »

If the Vancouver thing happens I will let you guys know. I might just fly up myself, but I will keep you all posted.

Derek
Derek

Re: Derek's EFI-L18 4 Door MEGATHREAD

Post by Derek »

Man - I haven't updated this thread in for ever. So where were we? Oh yes, pre-Targa build up!

8 pt cage by Impact engineering in Milpitas CA

Some more suspension tricks and armor down below -- 3/16" 6061 skid plate, Troy Ermish front end (TC rods, LCAs, all steering stuff replaced)

Rally ready interior

Image[/quote]

Can't forget the decals!

With newly installed decals, as many of you know, I took the car to Targa Newfoundland and back. We managed to be the first 510 to ever finish the rally, ended up 9th overall, 2nd in class!

Clip of some action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvZ6g85-EcY

After Targa my car whiles away its days going to the occasional hillclimb, trackday and weekend jaunt. Don't know what's next for it but I the next logical step involves more HP. :)

Hillclimb flyby: http://www.vimeo.com/1268061
Hillclimb onboard: http://www.vimeo.com/1338118

Laguna Seca 92dB approved!

Crater Lake en route to Larison Rock Hillclimb

Hillclimbing is high stakes!

Offroading (!) in Downieville CA (friends neglected to tell me our camping location was off a dirt road) a few weeks back. Wish I still had my mudflaps on here!o