ka24de swap issues

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
510kevin

ka24de swap issues

Post by 510kevin »

hey everyone, i put a ka24de in my 70 510. its an s13 motor, 5speed, running icehouse's can-am box.
everything SEEMS to be wired correctly per icehouse's drawings.

the problem is this: when i crank the motor over, it will turn over fine, but wont fire. it has spark, nice white spark at that.
fuel pump is running, i have the return line in a gas can, so i can see the fuel is making the round trip its supposed to.

when i use starting fluid, the car WILL run, but i havent let it run very long. long enough that i believe it has burned off the starting fluid and is running on its own fuel.

anyone have any ideas? im going to get a noid tester friday morning and see if the injectors are pulsing the way they should.
i still havent finished the exhaust(open header) or the intake.

would not having the maf and iacv make it not want to run? given these symptoms, give me your best ideas, im running out of money and patience!

thanks!!!
q-tip

Re: ka24de swap issues

Post by q-tip »

the maf is important, that may well be the problem. the maf tells the ecu how much air is going into the motor and then the ecu regulates the fuel. no maf no run. unless your ecu is re flashed to not use one.
'72 4dr w KA24DE
'76 620 king cab
510kevin

Post by 510kevin »

sweet. im gonna finish the exhaust friday, finish the intake and maf. hopefully it'll fire. ill post results when i get them
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

The IACV (idle air control valve) is there to correct fuel mixture during cold starts, kind of like an electronic choke. you'll definitely need that to get it to start.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
510kevin

Post by 510kevin »

and it is plumbed into the intake tube after the maf correct? my maf adaptor has a bung before the maf, maybe it goes there?
i junked the 240 intake, should've looked at it better before i did that
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

This is what the IACV looks like. It's not located on the cold air intake, it's mounted to the intake manifold. On an S13 SR20 it is mounted to the bottom of the intake manifold towards the back, and on an S14, and S15 they are on the side. Not sure for the KA. The bung after the MAF should be for your valve cover pressure return. It's connected to the hose nipple off the side of the valve cover.
Attachments
IACV.jpg
IACV.jpg (39.36 KiB) Viewed 7394 times
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
510kevin

Post by 510kevin »

i was asking where the hose from the iacv( the big one out of the bottom of the pic) goes to.
it is located on the back of the intake like an sr, i was just curious if i run that hose to the air intake pipe as well as the hose from the valve cover.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Sorry about the miss fire Dude :mrgreen: Yes, I believe on the KA it does go there. Same as an S14 SR20
510kevin

Post by 510kevin »

no worries man! i just read that the iacv needs vacuum from in front of the throttle body, so ill weld a bung in the intake tube for it.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

RonM wrote:Sorry about the miss fire Dude :mrgreen: Yes, I believe on the KA it does go there. Same as an S14 SR20
Just confirmed it on a 240 SX forum. It connects to the intake.
q-tip

Post by q-tip »

clean the iacv if you can, they can get alittle dirty and not work quite right
'72 4dr w KA24DE
'76 620 king cab
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

hey! you need to have everything hooked up to make it run right, everything, even the air filter needs to be on it. The MAF is really sensitive, it you were to remove your filter and blow into it it would cause a problem. so, first, connect everything, get your intake piping done and filter installed, check all your vacuum lines twice, then if you have a problem maybe someone can help you.....not having everything makes it difficult to do any kind of troubleshooting.
dogdat

Post by dogdat »

:) can you do away with the small hard lines coming from back of cylinder head through the intake manifold on a ka24de swap on a 510
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Hey Dog,

Can you be more specific about the "hard line" you're talking about. Are you talking about the vacuum lines on the the manifold that starts as two rubber hoses, then feeds into a single pipe running to the front of the mani just below the throttle body? Those lines are part of the emissions system and can be removed, but obviously the holes must be plugged and sealed. You can also leave it there and use it as a vacuum source for other stuff.

This is your one Noob give away though. Researching this stuff on your own is way easier than posting a question in someone else's old thread and waiting for an answer. Just do a google search on "ka24de intake manifold vacuum lines" and I'm sure you'll get all the info you need. There's tons of info out there just for the taking.

Peace,

RonM