My Wagon Project!! O'tannenbrown

View and post your 510 project(s)
goichi1
Supporter

Re: My Wagon Project!! O'tannenbrown

Post by goichi1 »

I was just going to flip and weld the engine crossmember, and I already have a trans member....
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

goichi1 wrote:I was just going to flip and weld the engine crossmember, and I already have a trans member....
Best way to go!
70bird

Post by 70bird »

I agree best way!
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

yea, i am not going to use the datsport kit this time around, but I will have to get a sway bar somewhere.....I do like the datsport sway bar, but don't know where I would get one.....unless I ordered it from them....that could be expensive. but I may get some other stuff from them too, still thinking.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I really want to make it an automatic too, so looking for a good used transmission, harness and computer for an S14 auto....
kayakdude07

Post by kayakdude07 »

goichi1 wrote:yea, i am not going to use the datsport kit this time around, but I will have to get a sway bar somewhere.....I do like the datsport sway bar, but don't know where I would get one.....unless I ordered it from them....that could be expensive. but I may get some other stuff from them too, still thinking.
You could make one! :D
Jordan || '72 2 door KA project || '72 2 door goon project- Flintstones powered (dad's)
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Hey Rich!,

Man, there's no slowing you down is there. I'll bet there a big S printed on your undershirt too? :wink:

Are you planning on lowering the wagon at all? And if so do you plan on razing the control arm pivot point on your X-member? Here's a picture of one Troy Ermish did on my car. I've also see stock X-members with the stock opening in tact and a second opening just above it. I figure if you're already there flipping your X-mem why not. Just my $.02
Attachments
Razed.poit.jpg
Razed.poit.jpg (38.67 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

hahaha, no, there's no slowing down here!! I am always like this, just go, go, go.....never ends. If I get lazy and sit around it would never get done.

It's a little lower now, sitting on coilovers now, it does ride ok for now. I probably will raise the pivot point when I flip the member, I will also go with the 200 sx V6 struts so I can run my bigger brakes, hopefully they will fit under the 15 inch wheels....if not I may have to look into changing something.....wheels or brakes. I hate the way it stops right now, when I jump in the coupe and drive it, it's night and day compared to the wagon.....so I gotta get those brakes upgraded soon. I want to keep it on the road as much as possible, so I will probably do the motor swap first, then put it back on the road and then do the struts and brakes....or I might do it all at once....not sure yet.
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

I know you already have the SR20 for it, but why not go with a VG for the extra low end torque. It'll make driving the wagon much easier when its loaded up with family, camping gear and bicylcles. Also, VG's with auto's are dirt cheap, can be installed with a modified pan (no crossmember or sway bar modifications) You could probably cover most of the cost of swap by selling the SR20.
Now, I do love the sound and look of a N/A 4 cylinder, and surely the Sr will have plenty of power, but .... I think if it were me, when considering it will be an automatic, I would choose the V6.
1972 Yellow 4dr
q-tip

Post by q-tip »

i say vg too, nothing like torque.....mmmmm rotational force......
'72 4dr w KA24DE
'76 620 king cab
datsunrcool

Post by datsunrcool »

Found a A/T SR trans on ebay Rich! Pretty cheap. Only thing is I don't see a torque conv. in the pic?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-NISS ... 2891wt_941
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

yea, I have put a little thought into a VG, but i am pretty familiar with the SR swap so I thought it would go much easier and cheaper.....having done it once before and then minus the turbo stuff.....but I appreciate all the input, I am thinking!! Thanks!!
70bird

Post by 70bird »

Rich been thinking of ordering some stuff from datsport myself. Not sure if we could work out something like having them ship everything together then you could ship to me? I'm not sure if it would be worth it or save us any money if we split all the shipping but who knows. If your interested let me know, if not it's cool.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Well, been out there in the garage all day on the wagon, I decided to change the right rear axle shaft out, the one in there now is bent a little, so I have a little wobble and the brakes drag a little. It all started out good, took off the wheel, 4 bolts that hold the back plate on and disconnected the brake line, pulled out the shaft with a slide hammer and up to that point went fairly smooth.

then noticed that you have to remove a sleeve that is pressed on the shaft, this sleeve holds the bearing and backing plate on, so this thing is not coming off, at least not with any tools I have here at the house, I tried all my pullers, a small torch, and still didn't budge it. I will take it to work tomorrow and see if I can find a press and try to press it out. Even a press is not going to be easy....then it has to be pressed back on...what a PITA.......I will also get a new bearing since I am at it....no need to have to go through all this again.

the first pic is the spare shaft, I cut the backing plate off so I could see more of what was there.....it was all beat up anyway, and it was the earlier style, or the later style, it was different than the one I have, the flange bolt pattern is bigger.....

the second pic is the one coming out, the easy part!! then I got creative in trying to get that sleeve off, so I actually cut the shaft off, and left about 4 inches to use the puller on, still didn't get it off....so now I am committed to fixing this!!
Attachments
IMG_0832.JPG
IMG_0832.JPG (168.39 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
IMG_0831.JPG
IMG_0831.JPG (147.01 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
TerryHackman
Supporter

Post by TerryHackman »

Easy to get that sleeve off and this is how I got mine off last winter. Take a 4 1/2" angle grinder and grind one side till you remove enough till it splits. Once it splits the grip is relaxed and you should be able to pry it off. Took about 5 min per sleeve. Then pressed the new one on.