Turn7

Post by Turn7 »

A Datsun 1000 or 1200 8)
?
Y ?
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

510rob wrote:a nissan patrol? noooo, a 510 wagon? or, ummmm, errrrr, ahhhhh...

a 240Z?
And the winner is - 510rob!! Yes, a 240Z could benefit very nicely from such a makeover - and I just happen to have one that needs a resto job tucked in the back of the shop. I also learned this weekend of another similar swap underway, Nissan Skyline RB26DETT & AWD running gear going into a 260Z in Mississauga.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

I know this will go against many people's mantra to keep Nissan products "pure Nissan", but what about the idea of installing a Toyota 2JZGTE + Getrag 6 speed, and then grafting in a R230 viscous diff out of a 300ZXTT... The RB26 is nice, but the 2JZ has... for lack of better or more elegant descriptions, a little over 15% more displacement to begin with... Going one step further, apparently the 6 speed in the AWD Skylines is the same unit that Toyota spec'd as the 6 speed for the TT Supra, so perhaps the ... ahhh, this is just turning into a friggin mess of grafts and splices... I'm scared!!!

I've always liked the idea of putting a RB25 motor + RWD 5-speed out of a R32 Skyline into a 240Z chassis. I suppose the RB26 would be better because it is a "bigger" motor, but that starts to add unknowns and those might involve all kinds of unnecessary/unjustified expense.

Overall the idea of doing a RWD to AWD swap scares the crap out of me - I haven't been able to finish my one car in 15 years as it stands, so to think about the nightmare of an AWD drivetrain + front hubs/suspension + God knows what else... AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH - It's giving me a headache just thinking about it...
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

240z was what I thought, just because of the six.
I'm smiling because I have no idea what is going on.
sspikey

Post by sspikey »

wow where to start. :) You guys know carbs i know modern day EFI turbo motors from nissan. First off

the 2.6 is in EVERYWAY different than its little brothers. 4 throttle bodies, TT, solid lifters, 8500RPM redline on stock everything, bigger oil pump, forged internals, forged rods, lightened crankshaft, more aggressive camshafts the list goes on and on and on and on. DONT YOU DARE skimp out and get a 2.5 instead of the 2.6. the difference in price MORE than warrants the 26 from the 25 (yes i know its twice the price)

Now to get this motor RWD there is a few options here. First off a tranny off a same year GTR GTS-T (as in RB25 turbo) MOST OF THE TIME bolts up however you will need to use a Z32 n/a clutch with it. (550HP is the strongest i have found however custom isnt hard to get :)) next off you have to check if the flywheel is flat or has a raised contact surface depending which not it is ypu will or will not be able to use that tranny with that motor. Also certain trannies were push type when they should of been Pull type and vice versa. Its a slight ordeal to find the right tranny but you need to know what your looking for.

Next up for 2.6 in a Z body you will almost for sure need to convert to single turbo. Get a nice GT35R or GT30 turbo on there and have some fun. Heck even a T66 would feel right at home with the 2.6. Currently were dropping a 26 into a S14 silvia starting in a few days, everything should be arriving in the next few hours and with the Help of Mckinney motorsports its allllll bolt in. Might i add you need the 2.5 turbo oil pan to use the RWD ttranny which again Mack at mckinney can get you . also the slave cylinders are hard to find he can get them for you too. Great guy to deal with :)

NOW as for the 2JZgte idea in a 240Z yup you nailed it on the head that motor will outperform a Skyline motor having 400CC more and can take SUCH a beating on stock internals. If your willing to go ahead with that motor be forwarned though i have no idea what needs to be done.

good luck and PM me if you have any questions

SOOOO can i get modern nissan motor guru status now :)
RWD nissan man got 510 SR king
Byron is well 510 king period can i be modern day lacki :P
Derek

Post by Derek »

I'm waiting for next year when the Pulsar GTi-R is available. 4wd SR20DET powered Nissan hatchback, what's not to love? They even have a built in umbrella hold in the driver's side door jam.

R32 Skyline GT-R pricing is a little out of it right now from these importing companies (nearly all are +$20K), but if you can find someone in Japan to find you one, they generally sell for less than half that. Check out http://www.goo-net.com/index.html for Japanese classifieds. I run it through the Altavista babelfish translator with reasonably good results. Mind you, the prices of the 15 year old cars will probably be more than a car that is 14 years old due to the increase in demand.

I would like one of these too please: http://tinyurl.com/62b8t (even better if it was a REAL gtr)
sspikey

Post by sspikey »

RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

Derek wrote:I'm waiting for next year when the Pulsar GTi-R is available. 4wd SR20DET powered Nissan hatchback, what's not to love? They even have a built in umbrella hold in the driver's side door jam.

Derek - Dan Sprongl has bought one and it is currently stuck in Customs Canada waiting for the 15 year date to clear it.

R32 Skyline GT-R pricing is a little out of it right now from these importing companies (nearly all are +$20K), but if you can find someone in Japan to find you one, they generally sell for less than half that.

Yes, this is what I am doing. Check out Skye Services SPL, he is a Canadian (originally from Kitchener) who is now living in Osaka. Has the advantage of having multi-lingual capabilities, knows Canada Customs rules for importing JDM cars into Canada and has a bank account in a Canadian bank to make it much easier to pay him. Plus he seems like a genuine good guy to deal with and has an interest in fine cars.
Check out http://www.goo-net.com/index.html for Japanese classifieds. I run it through the Altavista babelfish translator with reasonably good results. Mind you, the prices of the 15 year old cars will probably be more than a car that is 14 years old due to the increase in demand.

You are correct, a 10 yr. old Skyline GT-R is cheaper than a 15 yr. old one due to the demand for export of complete cars. I am sourcing a '93-94 model year so I can cut it up for export as parts.

I would like one of these too please: http://tinyurl.com/62b8t (even better if it was a REAL gtr)
krackerx7

Post by krackerx7 »

its been done before its was in a option magizine. I saw it on the internet from pics from the option mag i might be able to get pics for you but it was one mean mutha
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

Yes, there has been a few of these conversions started, haven't seen any in the flesh yet. Apparently there is one in Vancouver. Something like this is what I was thinking, except in an AWD version.
Attachments
240Z RB26DETT.JPG
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

Seems like it all fits in there - this is a project a guy in the UK is doing I think (can't remember where I grabbed this pic).
Attachments
240Z RB26DETT Engine Bay.JPG
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

I found out more about the one in the Vancouver area I had heard about. It was a motor swap of an RB26DETT into a 1970 240Z. It was built by a guy named Rick Wong, owner of Infinity Machining in North Vancouver. Apparently a guy named Hide Hayakawa and Andy at Specialty Engineering were involved in that project as well. There was an article on it in the May 2003 issue of Performance Automotive & Sound magazine.

Anybody on here have any pics or know anything about this car??
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

I think there is a picture in the gallery under one of the older All Nissan/Datsun Show and shines.
You could email rick @ infinitymachining@shaw.ca!
He used to advertise on this website!
Derek

Post by Derek »

I've got pictures of this car Bob. Taken in 2000 at the all Nissan show in North Van.
Attachments
P9100015.jpg
P9100016.jpg
P9100017.jpg
Derek

Post by Derek »

More.. And yes it was RWD only.
Attachments
P9100018.jpg
P9100030.jpg