moar good videos :P

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: moar good videos :P

Post by bertvorgon »

That was interesting, thanks for posting that up. Maybe my old dinosaur of a turbo is not that bad.

In my 46 odd years of playing with my turbos, I only had one failure, which we never did figure out WHY. I had just spent the day at the Canadian National Solo course in Chilliwack, at Cottonwood Corners, before Sunday shopping came in. I had done 8 runs that day, all in full kill mode, no issues. I was on my way home when I heard this siren sound, thinking a cop or ambulance had come upon me on # 1 highway. The scream just got louder and I realized it was ME! Long story short, for whatever reason the shaft went out of balance and the noise was the compressor wheel hitting the housing.

In taking it apart there was NO sign of FOD damage, all looked good.

I have always let my engine idle for a few minutes after a Solo/race run and originally, had my fan on the drivers side, to also blow back over the turbo, helping cool things.

My existing turbo has been running since about 1984 with a compressor upgrade to help cool things down and get into a better efficiency zone on the compressor map. With the compressor change and inter-cooler I dropped about almost 180F in intake air temp, no small drop.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Wow, that is a lot of heat to drop out of the system. I would imagine that the detonation limit on the same fuel would then be a lot better too!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

As I used to run "Super Blue" for fuel at Knox ( and the bit of track days), the Super Blue was not good in my car unless WO most of the time. The temp drop let me back off on fuel octane and burn a faster burning fuel ( C-16).

That also is now how I get away with running the Avgas, albeit at only 14 PSI.

1997 was the culmination of cooler intake temps, 3" exhaust and a hotter spark plug....the engine ran crisp that year.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

I thought you also added the intercooler in 1997 as well, or was that before?
510rob

Post by 510rob »

gooned

Post by gooned »

So what does the offset hook thingy he clamps on do?
510rob

Post by 510rob »

a turned shaft can only ever be concentric if you turn everything in one clamping.

If you have to re-clamp a part a few times, for something like turning a pair of eccentric lobes, then you will need to re-clamp it a few times; best technique is to cut a taper in each end of the shaft and then spin the shaft between pointed centers (make note that each time he re-clamps the center into the chuck, he re-cuts the taper to ensure that it is 100% concentric.

If you are trying to turn a shaft that is held between centers, then how do you transmit the chuck's torque to the piece of metal so that it can turn when faced with the pressure of the cutting tool?

You clamp a piece of metal onto the shaft and make the clampy piece of metal have a lump of metal that then reaches over to bear against one of the chuck jaws - then the torque from the chuck is transmitted to the shaft, but the shaft is still floated between centers...

then you have to give that clampy piece of metal a name, so you decide to call it a lathe dog.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Ok, that lights my fire.
For a start, I’ve always loved the rotary engine.
And to make a baby one, that’s just way cool!

Damn, another site to follow... I don’t get enough done as it is - thanks Rob!

:-)

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

To answer your question Rob, I built the inter-cooler in 1995. Byron helped spray cold water on pre-grid, onto the cooler, as a test of how cool I could keep things. I could leave the line with air temp at 70F. when outside ambient was 85F. This prompted me to build my Inter-cooler spray system for 1997. I also put on the Eagle Talon modified compressor by-pass, which was a big contributing factor to throttle response at Knox. It does not open till 16-18" of vacuum, so on a fast shift, I still had positive pressure from the turbo, so boost was right there.

I had also decided to use one gear higher for the trip up the hill.

I also took a very BIG breath going into Turn 7.......

Keith Law
gooned

Post by gooned »

510rob wrote: 24 Nov 2020 22:55
then you have to give that clampy piece of metal a name, so you decide to call it a lathe dog.
Ahh that name tickles a distant part of the brain...no real lathe time / theory since high school... :shock:
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

gooned wrote: 25 Nov 2020 19:22
510rob wrote: 24 Nov 2020 22:55
Ahh that name tickles a distant part of the brain...no real lathe time / theory since high school... :shock:
I’ve always referred to them as drive dogs.

Anyways, most of the turbine shafts I repaired over the years are done between centres. I would always turn the the chuck end Center to make it perfect, and then use little foil papers to shim the tail stock end to dial the shaft below .01mm (not inch). Years ago, Rob, Jason and I sat up late one night eating Almond Roches and bench racing - and all I really wanted was the wrappers for work! Specifically for this type of job!
Crazy - but cool.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal