ace028's 72 2 door

View and post your 510 project(s)
ace028

Re: ace028's 72 2 door

Post by ace028 »

Always so ling in-between updates, however, not much new here. I have acquired a few odds and ends that I will be installing for several reasons. I plan to put together the car as much as possible, to see what I have and what I need. I also feel that it will assist in keeping some parts safe during transport as I will be moving again.

Question:

I am trying to fit the side markers and there are some speed clips that go on the fenders, what size should I be looking for? Or if you have links? Also headlight trim is held on with similar clips? Are they the same size? Also the headlight buckets require M5 bolts? Thanks.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Can someone measure the trunk lock hole spacing for me? I searched but can't find anything. I have a fiberglass trunk and assume it is perfectly centered, but how far up from the bottom of the trunk lid?

Also for the trunk latch that mounts to the car, they appear to be M5 bolts, are they special or do you just use really large washers on the m5 bolts? Thanks.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Just putting parts on the car to check for fitment

ImageIMG_3782 by Asa Eells,

ImageIMG_3783 by Asa Eells,

ImageIMG_3918 by Asa Eells,
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

Fitment looks pretty darn good from my vantage point at least. I’m sure it’s satisfying to see things coming together 👍
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Thanks, yes finally seeing it with parts makes seeing it as a light at the end of the tunnel easier. Can't wait to source an engine for it. Somehow I am missing parts after getting it back from powder coating so I have to track those parts down now....
ace028

Post by ace028 »

https://youtu.be/7QLKF8gPIlU

Just pushed outside for a little sun.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Seeing how I will be going overseas for my job, and the need to transport the 510 once again here in a few months. I decided it was time to enable the hood to latch again. This way I don't have to worry about securing it down with wire or ropes.

I sourced a lever and latch set. Seeing that I think my replacement front end was from a early 510, the new lower latch didn't fit without cutting. So I didn't want to do that today, so I will use the old lower latch for now. I want to use the newer latch in the future because they updated the part that grabs the upper latch making it more secure.
ImageUntitled by Asa Eells, on Flickr

Here you can see the difference between the old and new style. The new style didn't fit the current radiator support opening due to the more pronounced bump on the left side. Note the different style catch.

And here it is installed. I threw some quick black paint on it I had laying around. Should have sprayed that center steering link too (it was suppose to have been powder coated along with all of the other parts from where the car had been being worked on, didn't notice that along with a lot of missing odds and ends such as my gas tank....)

I didn't like the factory way of mounting a course thread screw into sheet metal, so...

Open them up to 3/8

Put 6x1.0 nutcerts in there

and final result

Here are a few fun shots to keep myself motivated that this car will eventually be finished

Any suggestions on removing the seam sealer that is stuck in the adjoining panels. I notice that it retains water, so I need to remove, treat and reseal. Any tips would be cool. Thanks.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

I am getting the car ready to transport still. I adjusted the locks so now I can lock the doors, and have installed the front glass. I was surprised that my local glass shop had one available. They said they were too. Only think I have noticed is that the rest of my glass except the passenger door glass (plain clear) is nice blue tint and the windshield is green tinted. I was hoping it would be blue tinted but this is the only glass I could find. You may wonder why I am installing it now. Well I will be moving for my job, and need to transport it next month where it will be subject to the weather along the way. I did this to not only protect the glass while transporting but keep the weather out and the ability to keep the car locked and store my parts inside along the way. She will again sit for a year while I am gone so not much updates. This is the longest build ever, but it is moving forward one small step at a time. My next big purchase for it will be a SR20 and a subie R180 LSD and CV shafts.

Thoughts on door mirrors? I am leaning toward OEM but they are hard to find.

I like the APR mirrors as they have the blue tint to them and readily available.

ImageWindow installed by Asa Eells,

I am playing around with youtube here and there if you would like to see

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIRuWE ... subscriber
JasonLee
Supporter

Post by JasonLee »

Personally I like the look of the OEM mirror best, and am in the process of prepping one to receive a shot of silver paint to freshen it up. One door mirror only, and a 5 panel wink mirror to provide some rear view.
Jason
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

JasonLee wrote: 04 Nov 2019 16:34 Personally I like the look of the OEM mirror best, and am in the process of prepping one to receive a shot of silver paint to freshen it up. One door mirror only, and a 5 panel wink mirror to provide some rear view.
I love the idea! Stealing it, thanks!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I use the factory mirror and a Wink mirror. That side mirror is in stock location.

The stock mirror I like as it has no distortion and, it is WIDE, so I get a bit more view to my left, and the Wink covers everything else.
Attachments
Stock 510 mirror
Stock 510 mirror
IMG_6285.JPG (170.91 KiB) Viewed 3773 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Awesome, that’s what I was kinda thinking. Do you have more pics of the wink mirror installed?
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Hey Keith you wouldn't want to do anything that wasn't specified by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards No 111 :D

ace028

Post by ace028 »

😂😂😂
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That's funny.....I think my whole car is in violation.....HHRUMP....what do they know....

I was going over to the garage today to clean up something on the 510 so I will take some close up photos of the mirror mounting. It's dead simple, other than getting the "tilt" right.

Obviously be aware that you will not have sun shades.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer