Weber carb linkage

brad8401

Weber carb linkage

Post by brad8401 »

I have tried to search for this so i don't bring up things that have already been posted but i didn't find anything, or i may have typed in the wrong words, but i just fired up the old datsun just after installing the new weber carb, and runs good, but i have seen some guys on youtube using the cars stock throttle linkage, i was wondering what i need for that? i found a ball linkage kit that they say is universal for any car using a linkage for a throttle system on ebay, would that be the part i need or something else? plz post links or sites for the part i would need, and if this has been posted before im sorry for bringing it up.
Creepy Cruiser

Re: Weber carb linkage

Post by Creepy Cruiser »

A few pics would help identify what motor and carb setup you are dealing with. There are many different combinations.
This is why they call me Creepy.
The Creepy Cruiser ( My Bagged 65' Caddy Hearse), AND YES, "I DRAG THE HELL OUT OF IT." LOL. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/753364
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Post up the universal kit, I'd be curious to see as it was an issue I dealt with about 10 years ago with my SU's. The 510's came with a hanger, pivot arm, yoke and a couple of adjustable ball socket arms. I probably have most if not all of the parts around here in a box some where. In the meantime, I'll see if I can find pictures of my old linkage.
brad8401

Post by brad8401 »

I think i just answered my own question, i think i have to do the throttle cable conversion, i thought for a minute some one had a kit that would allow u to still use ur factory throttle linkage rods to hook up to the weber car, but i see now it was a mix up, dang got all excited for nothing, oh well at least i got her to fire up and idle healthy, well now off to some junk yards, or if anyone knows where i can get a compatible throttle cable and gas pedal for the datsun.
brad8401

Post by brad8401 »

also if anyone has seen or know of any tutorial on installing a throttle cable to my Weber carb would be awesome, i have never performed this kind of conversion before, but any info would surly help, gotta get the datsun rolling before the end of the month. Thanks Guys.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Lokar makes a compatible one, I use it on my FJ20 and my L16 race car.
lokar.jpg
lokar.jpg (24.41 KiB) Viewed 8755 times
Attachments
linkage1.JPG
linkage1.JPG (142.65 KiB) Viewed 8755 times
linkage2.JPG
linkage2.JPG (169.38 KiB) Viewed 8755 times
brad8401

Post by brad8401 »

sweet thanx, now just need to find a datsun with a compatible throttle pedal.
Creepy Cruiser

Post by Creepy Cruiser »

On my KA swap, I just welded the top part from the KA pedal on to the 510 pedal. Simple and works great.

And defdes, that cable look very cool.

Brad, what motor and what carb are you running? Some do actually use the factory linkage.
The Creepy Cruiser ( My Bagged 65' Caddy Hearse), AND YES, "I DRAG THE HELL OUT OF IT." LOL. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/753364
brad8401

Post by brad8401 »

i have a 72 510 wagon, with the stock 1600, which is what i can guess, looks stock, but the bolts on the motor m r not factory and they r not even bolted all the way down, but its had the stock carb, which when i first got the car it would fire up, but spit and sputter and shot flames out of the carb, so i took the carb in to get tested and the guy said when he started to apply pressure with his machine, it started to shoot fuel everywhere, so he said it needed to get rebuilt, so i decided to get a weber 32/36 DGEV, took some time to figure out the base adapter plates, got it mounted, and then just off of sound, got it to idle pretty smooth, but can still tell would need further tuning, in the future i will be doing a KA swap, and then after i get bored with that motor i will swap for an sr20, but for now just need the car to run, so that i can move it when time comes for me to move at the end of this month, but i have alot of work ahead of me, i bought it off a kid from the zilvia forum.

He claims he got it from the original owner, and told me that the original owner was driving down the fwy an didnt have the hood latched, so the front windshield needs to be replaced, probably along with the hood, and the interior carpet needs to be replaced, along with the head liner, due to poor installment, i need dash pad, door skins for all doors, rear hatch glass, and both rear side windows, and all the electrical was cut for some reason, all the lights and wires to all the gauges were snipped, dunno why, but luckily i have hook ups with alot of people that restore cars, im gunna take some pics and post ass i progress with the project, but for now like i said just need it to drive, i will have to look into that pedal mod, i have also heard if i find a later 70's or early 80's datsun with a throttle cable setup, to use that cable and pedal, but also at the same time odds of finding that car will be pretty low, i have been to 2 local pick a parts, and have had no luck, but im sure i can find something.
Creepy Cruiser

Post by Creepy Cruiser »

I'm pretty sure you can just change the end for the linkage on the carb and hook the stock linkage right up to it. (if I remember correctly anyway. It has been 20+ years since I had a L motor in a dime with a down draft weber on it, lol). I've never needed a cable setup for a weber on an L motor though.

You can kinda see in these pics the stock linkage.

brad8401

Post by brad8401 »

Very nice setup, after i get off work im gunna check it out to see if i can use the stock linkage on my new weber carb, but i will take a pic of my setup so that u guys can get a better picture on what i have
brad8401

Post by brad8401 »

here r some pics i took with my phone, i took them real quick before it got to dark, not the best quality but i will have better ones soon, i also think i have a vacuum leak somewhere, cause im chasing my self around with tuning the carb, and i did try to hook up the factory throttle linkage, the part on the carb fits, but the cars throttle linkage pulls the opposite way of the weber carb, so i will need to do the throttle cable conversion.ImageImageImage
bigjim5551212

Post by bigjim5551212 »

that last carburetor is a solex
"He forgot more than what i know about a Datsun"
Creepy Cruiser

Post by Creepy Cruiser »

If I remember correctly, you can flip the main rod so the ball is on the top instead, and it will rotate the other way. Just make sure you put on the washer and put the cotter pin in, so it doesn't fall out of the carb end slots (because it will be sideways now). Again, this is all stuff I'm trying to remember how we used to do it back in the 80's, lol
brad8401

Post by brad8401 »

Lol wouldn't even think of that, i will have to try that as soon as i get home from eating.