Flipping a front PL510 Cross Member

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Byron510

Flipping a front PL510 Cross Member

Post by Byron510 » 25 Oct 2010 22:27

Flipping a PL510 front X-member 101 – here’s my old link, but it doesn’t work anymore;
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4051&start=0

So I’ll post a photo step by step. Helping me in the welding department in these photos is my old friend, and past co-worker, Sean – a magician when it comes to welding;

This was Owen C’s (The Big O – where did you go??) project. He happened to drop by our work one day when the boss wasn’t there, and we didn’t have anything on the go but cleaning the workshop. So when Owen asked if we could flip an X member - we did, in about an hour and a half if I remember correctly – this was back in about 2004 or 5, so things do get fuzzy with time.

Owen brought us this fairly clean and strait X-member;

From here we knew we needed a jig – so we built one out of some scrap we had left over from building some work benches or shelves for the workshop;

Jig done.
Since we are a turbo service shop, fab tooling is limited. But we did have large cut off wheels, which happened to fit in the table saw – so we put two and two together – the Miter helped keep the cuts square and parallel. Here I am me pushing the one side through the saw;

And Sean pushing the other side through;

The two ends put in the jig;

And then the center section put in place. Note the welding rods splitting the difference on both sides so that the weld would be of equal gap to fill. I have to admit – just after we tacked in the center section we both looked at the X member and said – is that the way it was, or is it the other way? Would that have been good if we had welded it back together the way it came in the shop – I laugh now, I may have cried then!

And then Sean did his magic trade. Even though we had sand blasted the X member, the oil, rust and crap on the inside kept bleeding though into Sean’s weld, making his life a bit of a challenge.

And the finished result;

Sean wanted to add a couple strips for extra security – I didn’t think it was necessary, but by the time I said that, Sean was already welding. So reinforced it was – it sure wasn’t going to fail!

I have no idea what happened to this car (or Owen!!). I think I have the jig still – somewhere. I know I lent it out to some great guy who built an awesome 510 web site and I think I got it back… still fuzzy. The X member was destined to go into Noel’s green 69 car that Owen had bought – I think it may have resurfaced last year here on the Realm in text, but I saw no photos.
So, I just thought this thread needed to be re-done and re-posted since so many guys want to do a front sump engine swap these days.

Byron (and Sean in his absence)
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

Dave Patten
Supporter

Re: Flipping a front PL510 Cross Member

Post by Dave Patten » 27 Oct 2010 20:02

Byron,
Here are some pictures of the crossmember flip fixture I made.

The crossmember bolts into the fixture. To make the cuts the crossmember mounted to the fixture is clamped into a 14" Kalamazoo cut-off saw. This makes sure the cuts are perfectly paralell to each other. Sorry I don't have pics of that, but here is the crossmember still bolted into the fixture after the cuts have been made.

By mounting the crossmember to the fixture before cutting and then keeping the ends bolted to it thru the welding process, the orginal allignment and position of the ends remains exactly as they were before the saw cuts are made and the center section flipped.

Here is the crossmember after welding with the leading (now trailing) lip removed. The ends are never unbolted from the fixture to keep all the parts in proper alignment. Once the welding is complete then the cross member is removed from the fixture.

Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 27 Oct 2010 22:24

Hi Dave,

Yes, the band saw width of cut would be less than half what the cut off disc is - definitely better as there is less gap to fill. I see we have the same idea of grabbing the X member in two planes -the only way to go here. I used 10mm bolts as they were a nice tight fit into the 8mm clearance holes in the X-member (to body) mounts. The motor mounts used 8mm bolts.
I like that nice thick plate you used - looks like 3/4" - that's some jig!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

Creepy Cruiser

Post by Creepy Cruiser » 27 Oct 2010 22:51

Since we are posting pics of our flip jigs, here's mine, lol.

Same thing, never leaves the jig until it's all done, so it doesn't warp.

This is why they call me Creepy.
The Creepy Cruiser ( My Bagged 65' Caddy Hearse), AND YES, "I DRAG THE HELL OUT OF IT." LOL. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/753364

Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten » 28 Oct 2010 05:17

Byron,
Actually the base of my fixture is 12" channel, the same as used for stair stringers in commercial buildings. It has 1.5” legs and the web is .190” thick and weighs 10.6#/LF. I also used the same material for the loading ramps on my open deck trailer. It’s some pretty tough stuff.

Creepy,
I like the open framework of your fixture for welding, but as you can see I tend to overbuild for strength/rigidity. I can still get all the way around the cross member to weld, but the working area can get tight in some places because my fixture is pretty bulky.

Like with all things, the final results usually have some kind of compromise built into it.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH

Creepy Cruiser

Post by Creepy Cruiser » 28 Oct 2010 17:00

As I see it, as long as it gets the job done right the first time, it's all good, lol. (you don't mess around, that's one serious jig, lol.)

I tend to way over build also myself, but in this case, I will tell you, it is quite nice to have that little extra room.

I like to see all the different styles that people come up with, that's why I posted mine too.
This is why they call me Creepy.
The Creepy Cruiser ( My Bagged 65' Caddy Hearse), AND YES, "I DRAG THE HELL OUT OF IT." LOL. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/753364