need space

little beast

need space

Post by little beast »

i have a 521 and i need more space between me and the steering wheel, is there a way of shortening the steering column
okayfine
Supporter

Re: need space

Post by okayfine »

If you're asking, it's probably not something you should be doing.

What sort of steering wheel do you have? Can you find one with less dish? But 521s are small, but one of the reasons I don't have one.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

hack saw and some JB weld.
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

a hack saw ,jb weld and some wood screws,o yah don't forget the duck tape.
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

okayfine wrote:If you're asking, it's probably not something you should be doing.

What sort of steering wheel do you have? Can you find one with less dish? But 521s are small, but one of the reasons I don't have one.
You and me both! My wife loves the 521 PU - out of all the Datsuns, this is her favorite one. But there is no way that my 6' plus tall frame could ever drive one of these, and call it comfortable!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The 521 has a one piece column and gear box unlike newer models that are splined to collapse in an accident. The actual turning part is inside a steel tube and supported by bearings at both ends. I would imagine you would have to remove the box and column and disassemble the top part. For God's sake don't mess with the box end itself (worm gear = nightmare) The outer sheath can be unbolted from the box and slid back and off leaving the column bare. I suppose the inner column and outer sheath could be shortened separately and re-welded, then assembled. The limit is the distance between the wheel and the dash.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
little beast

Post by little beast »

thanks 4 the info
little beast

Post by little beast »

byron510 i hav speaker box behind seat and adapter on steering wheel, so i hav bout 8 inches of space between me and wheel, and im 5-4 lol, the info datzenmike gav ill take to my welder friend and hope 4 the best,
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

i'm in the same boat with the one i just bought... the steering column could easily lose 4 inches and still clear the dash etc...

What about:

1. cutting and shortening the inner and outer shafts ... cut about 3 inches more out of the outer shaft.
2. fit a sliding sleeve over the outer shaft
3. weld the inner shaft
4. slide the outer shaft sleeve back up over the gap and weld that.
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"