A 510 30 years in planing.

View and post your 510 project(s)
S15DET
Supporter

Re: A 510 30 years in planing.

Post by S15DET »

Where's the CAS? I see the connector hanging loose, but can't find the sensor itself. Pricey item if it's missing.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

And it looks like they sheared the studs on the bottom of both motor mounts?
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

S15DET wrote:Where's the CAS? I see the connector hanging loose, but can't find the sensor itself. Pricey item if it's missing.
Thanks for very much for spotting that! Sorry S15DAT what is a "CAS" so I can make sure they ship one. Also I will ask about the motor mounts. :shock:
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

It's the thing that looks like a distributor, but isn't.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

OK, We're back!

I got it figured out on line. CAS= Crank angle sensor, Yes. I asked about this and the salesperson at JDM Racing Motors assured me he would install a good one before shipping. As for the motor mounts I plan on replacing them with poly mounts from Mckinny anyway, so no harm. I placed the order for the motor this morning and by late next week I should have it deliver to my shop. My shop is on Yerba Buena Island in the middle of the San Francisco bay. The Bay Bridge passed right through the island with the SF Bay Brides on one side and the Oakland Bay Bridge on the other. The pace my brother and I are renting was used by the Navy to maintain light transport vehicle and now it's DIME CENTRAL. The future of the island is very much up in the air, because of the construction of the new Oakland Bay Bridge and subsequent redevelopment of the island, so there is a chance that right in the middle of this project I may have to move it all into my little garage at home. :(

I think my next investment will be to buy a DVD outlining the step by step process for swapping an SR into a 510. This way I can keep my beginner questions to a minimum and save my good name on the real. As you may have guessed I am squarely place at the bottom end of the curve when it comes to the vast technical know how required for a "successful" sr20det swap. I'm more than willing to admit what I don't know, because it's the shortest path to learning what I need to know. Thank you all very much for your patience and help so far.

With Gratitude!

RonM
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

RonM wrote:The future of the island is very much up in the air, because of the construction of the new Oakland Bay Bridge and subsequent redevelopment of the island,
Weird, that project was just in my local paper, and I'm in SoCal! Perhaps it's a cool project, but it is already bonkers traffic on the Bay Bridge...add 8000 more homes right in the middle of it? :shock:
RonM wrote:I think my next investment will be to buy a DVD outlining the step by step process for swapping an SR into a 510.
There is such a thing?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

RonM wrote:I think my next investment will be to MAKE a DVD outlining the step by step process for swapping an SR into a 510.
fixed it for you ;)
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

okayfine wrote:
Weird, that project was just in my local paper, and I'm in SoCal! Perhaps it's a cool project, but it is already bonkers traffic on the Bay Bridge...add 8000 more homes right in the middle of it? :shock:

I lived on the island for 3 years, 2000-03, and my brother is still there. Traffic on the bridge isn't that bad, it's the approaches that are a day killer. That being said, 8000 more people heading to SF at 8:30 am won't help things. Land is at such a premium in the city that development is inevitable. The question that haunts the people living on the island is when. :roll: ??????

RonM wrote:I think my next investment will be to buy a DVD outlining the step by step process for swapping an SR into a 510.
okayfine wrote:
There is such a thing?
Short answer... NO :cry: After a futile expedition into the wilds of the internet, i return fruitless and empty handed, however I discovered an un-tapped open market to be exploit by an entrepreneurial lad with a video camera and some free time. HINT HINT! :D I would do it myself, but most of the real hands on mod/fabrication work for my project will be store bought products, so any video I make would wind up looking like a Mckinney motor sports ad. I know, Shameless! But at this point, and in the position I find myself in time-wise, short cuts are my only realistic option. Don't get me wrong, I'm not throwing money at it to keep a comfortable / easy distance, I'm simply weighing my time, knowledge, and skill, and asking, is it worth the $250 to buy a shop made cross-member, over trying to fab one myself? For me the answer is 100% YES.

Something I haven't shared with the realm is that I am loosing my vision. I have what's called Retinitis Pigmentosa, which causes slow deterioration of the retina. There is a very real sense immediacy for me, because at this time I'm not able to drive at night, and for Pete sake, I want to finish this car before I'm not able drive at all. With any luck, stem cell research will catch up to my situation, but I'm not going to sit around waiting. I'm building this car ASAP. Otherwise you'd better stay off the road once I get this thing fired up, because I'm drive'n it on matter what! :twisted:
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

RonM wrote:Short answer... NO :cry: After a futile expedition into the wilds of the internet, i return fruitless and empty handed
Well, at least I'm not losing my mind, 'cause I'da figured I'da known about something like that :lol:

As I mentioned, 99% of the 510 swaps are different in some respect, some are quite different. Some flip the crossmember, some build an oil pan, some use stock 510 crossmember motor mounts, some make new mounts to use the KA/SR hydro mounts. The list is endless.
RonM wrote:asking, is it worth the $250 to buy a shop made cross-member, over trying to fab one myself? For me the answer is 100% YES.
Yeah, if you don't have a welder, flipping a crossmember is going to be a hard row to hoe. If you have a welder, flipping a crossmember is the work of three hours and a can of parts wash.
RonM wrote:Something I haven't shared with the realm is that I am loosing my vision. ...Otherwise you'd better stay off the road once I get this thing fired up, because I'm drive'n it on matter what! :twisted:
Ron, I'm sorry to hear that. That said, you're painting your 510 bright-freakin-yellow with a fricken bee on the side...if that's not enough warning for people, they ain't got no common sense anyway.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Back to your quandry, there are probably a half-dozen "what all do I need to do" threads that have been populated here on The Realm. You could break it up into the following categories and tackle them as needed.

Engine
-mounting engine
-mounting trans
-driveshaft

Electrics
-wiring the SR to the 510

Accessories
-high-pressure fuel system
-cooling (radiator, fan(s), upper coolant neck modification)
-intercooler
-brakes (upgrades)

There's lots I'm leaving out, but you can't get to Electronics before you get the engine mounted, etc.

That said, have you looked at the time/money battle with regard to getting someone like Troy Ermish to do the dirty work for you? I know for me a project is all about doing it myself, so I understand that view totally.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

okayfine wrote: Engine
-mounting engine
-mounting trans
-driveshaft

Electrics
-wiring the SR to the 510

Accessories
-high-pressure fuel system
-cooling (radiator, fan(s), upper coolant neck modification)
-intercooler
-brakes (upgrades)

There's lots I'm leaving out, but you can't get to Electronics before you get the engine mounted, etc.

That said, have you looked at the time/money battle with regard to getting someone like Troy Ermish to do the dirty work for you? I know for me a project is all about doing it myself, so I understand that view totally.
Thanks okayfine,

I have been filing through the thread history on the realm, and found tones of info. I have found it a little frustrating however to try and find an answer to specific questions though.

As for the list of steps you've outlined I think I have most of it figured out. Here is a list of parts I've ordered from Mckinney that address some of the items you pointed out.

DATSUN 510 SR SWAP PARTS : t3 turbo manifold w 38mm waste gate

DATSUN 510 SR SWAP PARTS : TOUGE DOWN pipe 3"

DATSUN 510 SR SWAP PARTS : SR20 WATER NECK 510

DATSUN 510 SR SWAP PARTS : TURBO OIL AND WATER LINES

DATSUN 510 SR SWAP PARTS : custon 510 radiator rev 3

DATSUN 510 SR SWAP PARTS : custon 510 intercooler rev 3

DATSUN 510 SR SWAP PARTS : S13 intercooler / radiator PIPING

DATSUN 510 SR-KA mount kit : engine crossmember

DATSUN 510 SR SWAP PARTS : POLY MOTOR MOUNTS

DATSUN 510 SR-KA mount kit : 510 trans mount

SR20DET Parts : S13 OR S14 SR20DETone piece driveshaft

DATSUN 510 SR SWAP PARTS Custom 1" sway bar

Once the engine comes (in 4-5 days) I'm removing the harness and sending it to Mckinney for 510 mods. They've done many of them and insure their work. Once it's done there are only 4 wire to hook up.

I have made contact with a dyno equipped garage in San Jose to do the fire up and final tuning. I realize that getting the project from here to there may be much bigger that I'm fully capable of. I do not, however what to hand this off to someone and get it back all shiny and finished. Frankly I couldn't afford it if I wanted to. I'd much rather be in it up to my elbows, so I can learn the car from a DNA level, and feel as though I earned it. It would be fantastic if I could find a "consultant" to work directly with; Someone who could keep me headed in the right direction, and step in if, and when, I get in over my head. Does Troy Ermish do that kind of thing?

Thanks again
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

RonM wrote:I have been filing through the thread history on the realm, and found tones of info. I have found it a little frustrating however to try and find an answer to specific questions though.
Specific questions are what The Realm and forums in general are for. It's those basic "we've covered it ten ways from Sunday" questions that make everyone scream "SEARCH NOOB!" Okay, maybe that's just me.
RonM wrote:It would be fantastic if I could find a "consultant" to work directly with; Someone who could keep me headed in the right direction, and step in if, and when, I get in over my head. Does Troy Ermish do that kind of thing?
I don't know what Troy does, but I'd doubt it. Once an established shop becomes associated with a car, they're going to be wanting to do the work to ensure a car doesn't go out and about with stuff falling off :lol:

For what you're looking for, you're going to want to try to pair up with with a local who's done the swap. I don't know any SF SR guys off the top of my head, but there have to be quite a few.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

okayfine wrote: I don't know any SF SR guys off the top of my head, but there have to be quite a few.
DGR fabrication

only other "shop" i know of
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

I'm sitting on pin and needles because tomorrow, between 11:00 and 4:00, that sweet S13 will finally be sitting in my garage, other parts are being shipped from all corners, I'll trailer the body back next week, and soon I will be up to my elbows. The one gaping hole in all of this is the Differential. I've been researching the advantages and disadvantages of 180 v 200, VLSD v LSD, 80's Subi 180 v 04 STi 180. At this point I'm talking to someone who has an 80's subi r180 for $450. Hoping this all works out. If however anyone has a solid LSD r180 diffs laying around unused I know a great home for it.

I'll send picts next week.

RonM
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

An '80s Subaru R180?