new door panels

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
drieseck
Supporter

new door panels

Post by drieseck »

Gents, I've just had a discussion with a upholstery shop in Camby OR interested in tooling up to produce new (OEM design) vinyl interior door panels. He understands the 510 hippie collective and is interested in production if I/we get enough interested buyers. I've given him a 2-door front set as a pattern and he is willing to do the back panels also.

He wants to retain the tooling so he's willing to cut an "affordable" deal with enough initial purchases. I'm not sure what is the best path to polling this group so I'm up for generating an "interest" tally here.

No, he hasn't provided me a quote, I tried. Sort of holding-his-cards, but he's very willing and interested to make it work for us (his words). My sense is that I'll conduct the first round of negotiations when I get an idea if we have 2, 5, 10, or 20 buyers, then he'll work with everyone to order/purchase from him directly.

I thought I'd pass it along/post to several domestic parts sites, DQ, Ratsun and maybe Maddat or other? Let me know what you think, ideas, approach. Thanks, dave

PS, yes I missed the set on e-bay today :(
drieseck
Supporter

Re: new door panels

Post by drieseck »

oh, BTW, I think Too Intense Restoration is no longer, been trying phone/fax/e-mail for 9 months.
dcuplover

Post by dcuplover »

for door cards the BMW 2002 guys sell CNC cut mahogany door cards with all the holes cut for $80 a pair.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I might be in for a set of front and rear in black, although I really only NEED the rear panels. I believe there is a difference in the pattern of the early cars ('68, '69) and the later models.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Yes the early ones, the lines at the bottom go straight across, the later ones swoop up in front, plus other more curvy details.

Plus other changes to pattern:

Early panel (unrestored)
early door panel.jpg
Later panel (NOS)
later door panel.jpg
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
freekwonder

Post by freekwonder »

I would love a set, I wouldn't feel so bad molesting aftermarket repoductions for installing speakers. I don't want to mess with the original ones I have.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Just to be clear, your guy can produce the fiberboard panels, or the vinyl "covers," or both? Any color as long as it's black? Does he have samples of his work from other makes?

Too Intense hasn't answered e-mail in a year, but people still say they get parts from him in the mail. :lol:

Also add the Bluebird maillist to your trolling for interest.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
eoot

Post by eoot »

you can count me in for a set, put me on the list.
1970 2dr with S13 SR20DET and S15 6Speed
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

skins only correct?

toointense still sells, but no communications... :?
drieseck wrote: I've given him a 2-door front set as a pattern and he is willing to do the back panels also.
no 4dr/wagon love??? :evil:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
sexyL

Post by sexyL »

hang_510 wrote:skins only correct?

toointense still sells, but no communications... :?
drieseck wrote: I've given him a 2-door front set as a pattern and he is willing to do the back panels also.
no 4dr/wagon love??? :evil:
You know, I had about 2 sets of both wagon and 4dr door panels that have been sitting in an ex-racer's garage for probably 30+ years that were dusty and of course in mint condition. Me being me, I threw them away :lol:.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

98203 eh? Everett Washington----we know where you live!!!!!!!

Do you think they are still in the dumpster :lol: :lol:
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
sexyL

Post by sexyL »

Lol I'd say if you wanted them you'd go digging in some landfills. Don't worry though, I now know better and keep nearly anything Datsun I own :wink:
drieseck
Supporter

Post by drieseck »

Panel update:
Thanks for the thoughts. Looks like I'm getting in the neighborhood of 10-12 interested players, Realm & DQ so far.

I'll get it on Bluebirds.

Yes, these are just the "skins."

I'll ask if there is any cost implication for colors other than black. Black is what I told him.

I've given him a 73' style (curved lower stamping (as pictured below) I think that is 70-73?) he said he had a line on the small rear panels.

I'll ask about 4-door implications, not sure if it is an entirely new die/tooling. I assume wagon size is the same as 4 doors?

I'd still like to support Too Intense Restoration, if he still mails/ships does that mean I have to "walk-up" to place an order?
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

two_68_510s wrote:Do you think they are still in the dumpster :lol: :lol:
ill drive, but i get the drivers side set! :lol:

drieseck wrote:I'll ask about 4-door implications, not sure if it is an entirely new die/tooling. I assume wagon size is the same as 4 doors?

I'd still like to support Too Intense Restoration, if he still mails/ships does that mean I have to "walk-up" to place an order?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
the doors are similiar, but the wagon requires an additional 2 cargo panels and a hatch piece. :wink:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.