I have an idea.

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
Naka

I have an idea.

Post by Naka »

What do you guys think of an L28, in a 510?
thisismatt
Supporter

Re: I have an idea.

Post by thisismatt »

You know that saying, "There's no such thing as a stupid question." Well, it's false.

:lol:
I'm your huckleberry.
indy510

Post by indy510 »

Naka wrote:What do you guys think of an L28, in a 510?
Awesome idea,, ... seems like the lightest engine choice ....or, why not try a straight 8 out of a 50's Packard?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Image .... oh... ohh must... get... control.... harumph... Yes it's been done and with a L28ET. It does not fit but anything can be made to fit with a smoke wrench. Which results in a cut up 510 that is no use to anyone if not completed and little use if it is. So this brings us to the 100? added pounds to the front end and the need to modify the suspension to carry it but never compensating for the loss of handling or braking. Can it be done... yes. Should it be done?.... likely not. There are 4 cylinder engines that fit and make as much/more power. The VG30 has almost limitless possibilities, weighs almost as much as the KA, fits, and is a well documented swap.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I have not heard of the term "smoke wrench" before. I like it. :lol:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Julian, perhaps you know it as the blue tipped wrench? Or maybe the wire feed wrench.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

Hey, it makes about as much sense as putting an L16 in a 280z.
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

ya there is a 510 with a 280zx motor for sale on vancouver craigs list for like 1500.00. take a look and see the damage thats been done.
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori »

Smoke Wrench....how about the Gas Axe ?
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
1972 Triumph GT6 SCCA Vintage Race Car
1974 Mazda RX3 former IMSA race car
kayakdude07

Post by kayakdude07 »

butters68 wrote:ya there is a 510 with a 280zx motor for sale on vancouver craigs list for like 1500.00. take a look and see the damage thats been done.
Heres an L28 510. MMMMM
Some guys were looking at it at school on craigslist. I just laughed.. :lol: :lol:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/c ... 70789.html

71 Datsun 510 with back doors welded and filled which was an old westwood racing car that comes with regi papers. Has 280zx engine with dual webber carbs that had recent rebuilt kit done to them, new starter , back brakes, plugs , oil, gas tank, fuel filter , fuel lines and some brake lines. Got car running now to show but, i will need to take a electrical part and battery back out for my new 510. (part cost under $60 bucks) Spent alot a time and money on it , but busy with new projects, Needs welding on floor pans and front windsheild which i no where to find brand new, sweet project car and Killer deal for $1500 obo No looky loos, harsh low ballers or time waisters , .Call Karm at (604)618-2593 anytime between 12-11pm thanks.

Jordan || '72 2 door KA project || '72 2 door goon project- Flintstones powered (dad's)
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

kayakdude07 wrote:
butters68 wrote:ya there is a 510 with a 280zx motor for sale on vancouver craigs list for like 1500.00. take a look and see the damage thats been done.
Heres an L28 510. MMMMM
Some guys were looking at it at school on craigslist. I just laughed.. :lol: :lol:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/c ... 70789.html

71 Datsun 510 with back doors welded and filled which was an old westwood racing car that comes with regi papers. Has 280zx engine with dual webber carbs that had recent rebuilt kit done to them, new starter , back brakes, plugs , oil, gas tank, fuel filter , fuel lines and some brake lines. Got car running now to show but, i will need to take a electrical part and battery back out for my new 510. (part cost under $60 bucks) Spent alot a time and money on it , but busy with new projects, Needs welding on floor pans and front windsheild which i no where to find brand new, sweet project car and Killer deal for $1500 obo No looky loos, harsh low ballers or time waisters , .Call Karm at (604)618-2593 anytime between 12-11pm thanks.

fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Hack.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Naka wrote:What do you guys think of an L28, in a 510?
Well now you see that this car is no longer much use to anyone who want's to build with it. Too much work needed to put it right. True if you like the L28 and want to keep it then fine. But when you are done with or tired of it you can't swap a VG or any L, KA or SR into it. If sold you would have to find someone else who wanted this motor in it.

An L28 powered 510 is kind of an evolutionary cul-de-sac.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I dunno...that firewall cutout might be useful for those SBC swaps. And the cut radiator support makes installation a breeze.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I bow to the superior logic. I am in awe! as I crawl backwards from your presence.