Switches on dogleg

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Camano510
Supporter

Switches on dogleg

Post by Camano510 »

I couldn't figure out what words to use to search, so, I found nothing in the search, so I'm posting.

I realize one of the switches is for back up lights, but what is the second one? And which one is the reverse switch?

Datzenmike- You out there?

Thanks!
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project
izzo

Re: Switches on dogleg

Post by izzo »

I had this problem when i hooked mine up also. The second plug is for 5th gear, it triggered something in the carb for emissions or maybe something else? Not sure. Tell you what though. Put transmission in reverse. Hook wires up, and then turn key on. If your reverse lights light up its fine, if not put it in 5th and see if they light up then. If they do, switch the wires to the other plug. Mine was backwards and I did not test it. Next time i drove at night in 5th gear i got pulled over, no ticket but lesson learned.
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Doesn't anyone own an ohm meter anymore? :)
I'm your huckleberry.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I'm here....

The top most switch (yellow wires)is the neutral switch used in Canadian 200sx. (maybe others) It is high up and is activated by the shift lever and not a shift rod like the others... and yes this is a NAPS Z series dogleg.

The next one down is the reverse lamp switch. Take careful note where it is because if your tranny does not have the neutral switch the reverse switch becomes the top most switch.

There was a third switch. It's not shown, but would be behind the two black connectors on the reverse wires just to the right and slightly below the reverse switch. You can see a quarter sized flat boss where it would be mounted. It was a top or 5th gear switch used for emissions.

Here is a picture of the top (5th) gear switch below, bottom right. Upper right is the reverse lamp switch. To the upper right of it is the place where the neutral switch would have been.

"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Thanks, Mike. Another awesome response.

I DO have an ohm meter, but the shifter is buried in a box right now.

I'm curious about the neutral switch. What is it for? Was that used in place of the clutch pedal switch for starting safety back in the day? Was there a clutch switch on these? I noticed one on my pedal assy when I took it out, but it wasn't connected to anything. May incorporate it into the system.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I think it's part of the BCDD system. Again it's emission related.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

thisismatt wrote:Doesn't anyone own an ohm meter anymore? :)
:lol:
resistance is futile!

so i use a continuity meter :P
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.