Tubular rear crossmember

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Cscray94

Tubular rear crossmember

Post by Cscray94 »

So I have been tossing the idea of making a tubular type rear cross-member for our rally 510, an was curious in anyone else has done this or has any pictures of one that has been done. I have searched this site as well as a bit of googeling but no avail.
My main reasoning for wanting to do this is to have the ability to make an replace our own if something was to happen to the car, an not have to depend on finding one for sale online.
Thanks in advance for any help!!
Curt Scray
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Tubular rear crossmember

Post by okayfine »

Cscray94 wrote:So I have been tossing the idea of making a tubular type rear cross-member for our rally 510, an was curious in anyone else has done this or has any pictures of one that has been done. I have searched this site as well as a bit of googeling but no avail.
Rear crossmember? Or rear a-arms? Rear a-arms have been done here. Rear crossmember work has pretty much been saved for the massive reworking of a tube-frame race car or hill-climb special.
Cscray94 wrote:My main reasoning for wanting to do this is to have the ability to make an replace our own if something was to happen to the car, an not have to depend on finding one for sale online.
If we're still talking rear crossmembers, I'm not familiar with how they'd get damaged to need replacing. Have you had this type of failure before?

Might be easier to source a couple spares before the season, and maintain at least one spare in inventory at all times.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Cscray94

Post by Cscray94 »

I am talking about the crossmember its self. We bent the one that we have on the car a bit from hitting a big rock.
I guess my other thought is that the crossmember that we have has been slotted to gain more adjustment, as well as enlarging the exhaust opening. SO If we would build one from scrach we could incorporate things like that right away.
But still any pictures of the rear a-arms that have been done?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson