james399

Re: 71 4dr pos to awesome tastey goodness

Post by james399 »

Lol... Fair...
james399

Post by james399 »

pictures on the way...

the interior is completely stripped, and the custom bolt in cage is being finalized...

the plan as of now, the entire cage will be base rustoleum then tan bedliner,

the entire car interior will be rustoleium than black bedliner, (minus the doors)

then onto the rest... sigh... trying to decide between swap, interior, and exterior... lol....

got the cross member from mckinney, and it looks good, we will see how it goes when it comes time to install... lol...

the car looks awesome with the seats installed...
torqued

Post by torqued »

FYI it is Tasty, But who needs spelling when building cars right?
Liking your attitude in this build. Going to be a sweet one once done
james399

Post by james399 »

lol... thanks for the heads up, but i was going for "tastey," (extra emphasis on the end of the word... so i take it was a fail... lol...)

Ill try and take some photos, the cage work turned out imo awesome....
torqued wrote:FYI it is Tasty, But who needs spelling when building cars right?
Liking your attitude in this build. Going to be a sweet one once done
torqued

Post by torqued »

james399 wrote:
Yes get some pics, Otherwise it is just teasing
james399

Post by james399 »

torqued wrote:
james399 wrote:
Yes get some pics, Otherwise it is just teasing
When I poste the picts, let me know if anyone wants any custom fab work, I can introduce you to the guy that did the work on my car...
he is expensive, he takes forever, but he does deliver badd ass sh@t (no affiliation etc.. just a happy happy customer... lol...)

so to give you a guys a breakdown of the cage, bolt in 4 point roll bar, two sill bars (not a justifiable description), dash bar, custom seat brackets, seats, and seatbelt mounting.

there is also an additional under body brace that connects the two seats to the sill bars... yeah it sounds crazy... will make sense when you see the picts... lol...
james399

Post by james399 »

here are some shots... please note much tanner in color, camera phone...
any questions let me know...

Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

I can see why it took many hours to build. There are a number of time consuming details in it.

Not sure I would have gone this exact route, but it's the old time vs. benefit question as with any customized item.

Here is a 510 rally cage I built some years back. Non removable and yes plenty of hours in it as well.
http://datsun510.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3440
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
james399

Post by james399 »

Hi Dave, How is NH this time of year? should be beautiful with seasonal change. I spent about 5 years there in Hanover, miss it all the time, I hate the LA smog and traffic.

You can say that again, if you see all the pieces out of the car, your like wow... thats a lot of work... installed and all tucked up, its hard to see all the details that did go into this, unless of course you did something of the same nature... lol...

actually, we were planning on a much simpler cage initially, however, when we looked under the car and saw an absense of a frame rail, it did not make sense to put a 300 hp power plant into the car with sticky tires... it would bend or tweak the car... not to mention the concern for safety... its just a tin box... lol...

the project goal is to build a 200-300 hp car streetable, showable, trackable daily driver... tall order... never been able to pull it off with my other cars, but this time, I am putting a lot of "needless," effort to achieve that goal...

The interior is still rough, and needs to be cleaned up...

The seats are out of a similar era porsche, and the design is nice, because they have a flat rail less than 2 inches thick... race car part from factory... lol...

I decided to make the cage bolt in for the wow factor... I am planning on a black carpeted interior, and it would really make the cage pop especially in that tan with the zinc plated bolts and nuts... I love the contrast of the look... also, it is more of a show cage than a true race cage... keep in mind the roof isn't boxed, and there should be a much higher reinforced x on each side... also there is no connection between the top of the dash bar back to the main hoop...

I am planning on adding in additional pieces as modular units that in theory would be completely bolt in... i.e. considering the roof, a diagnol that connects the main hoop to the floor of the passenger side... but at this time i am happy with the outcome and plan on pressing forward... i don't want to get 'lost' in the cage build...

Thanks for sharing your photos... hopefully as i make more progress ill post more photos.

Edit: Holy crap, I was looking at your photos again didn't realize you put a square tube down the length of the car flush with the floor!!! how long did that take a bajillion years?

Dave Patten wrote:I can see why it took many hours to build. There are a number of time consuming details in it.

Not sure I would have gone this exact route, but it's the old time vs. benefit question as with any customized item.

Here is a 510 rally cage I built some years back. Non removable and yes plenty of hours in it as well.
http://datsun510.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3440
james399

Post by james399 »

i wish you guys can see the cage in person... all the tolerances are tight... the reason why the main hoop narrows is so that you can reach back and still roll the rear window up and down and to reach the handle... there is a less than 1 inch gap between the rear door handle and the hoop... even the bottom of the main hoop uses the square beam that is arleady in the car and sandwiches itself on each side... save some weight and looks epic... (imo)...

just really excited about the build again... it was draggin me down a bit... sorry if i sound a bit like a star struck teenage girl as i am gushing on and on about my car... lol...
james399

Post by james399 »

small update, parting out the miata... crashed the vr4 (at the body shop as we speak...) driving the 510 with the 1.6... gotta pay for the accident.... 510 progress slowed...lol...
james399

Post by james399 »

even smaller shittier update... blew the head gasket on the 1.6, but its a water jacket, so as long as i keep pouring water in every coupla days, its good...

then the alternator fell out of the car... yup, fell completely out of the damn thing and had to go back to get it... lol....

the other car should be out of the body shop in 10 days, so the 510 can finally get the motor swap going...