muffler opinions

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
benz-tech
Supporter

muffler opinions

Post by benz-tech »

I don't even have the block back from the shop and I'm already thinking of other things I can do to my car. Here's the problem, 3.0L V6, 11:1 compression, step-up headers, 3" exhaust all equal LOUD. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE how it sounds, but my car can be heard from blocks away esp at WOT. I'd love a little stealth and thought of splitting the exh just after the rear axle and sending it out 2 2" mufflers, one on each side of the car. It seems to me that this effectively doubles the sound deadening. It also would cut some of the bass due to the smaller pipe.
I don't like the idea of dual exh, especially on a 510, and I would do everything to make it look as un-ricer as possible. But I would also like the car not to attract as much attention from the authorities as it already has. Still need the flow but don't want the noise. Any input? Other solutions?
Also I'd like some opinions on mufflers. My Magnafart is getting louder everyday but is still quieter than the 40-series flowmaster I have. Granted, both flow enough for a V8.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: muffler opinions

Post by okayfine »

benz-tech wrote:Still need the flow but don't want the noise. Any input? Other solutions?
Smaller pipe. Resonator. Smaller muffler.

I vaguely recall you have other mods to your VG than just the headers and compression. What about something like 2.25" mid pipes collecting to a 2.5" pipe through the crossmember and out back? Unless you want duals (and you indicate you don't) I wouldn't split it back again after collecting it together.

Do you have room underneath for resonators? That would also work well WRT quieting noise.

In the end, 2.5" single might be on the small side for all-out, top-end performance. But there are tradeoffs to be made.

I had a similar LOUD exhaust on my KA510. 2.25" pipe to a single Borla straight-through muffler. I know where you're coming from. For my SR510 I toned it down somewhat by sticking a resonator in the middle and using a muffler with a core one size smaller (2" core on a 2.25" system). Result is perfect levels of sound, for me.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
benz-tech
Supporter

Post by benz-tech »

Yeah, my VG has everything done short of boost and N2O. it currently has a 3" resonator + the muffler. how about a 3" in dual 2.25 out with a butterfly on one outlet, its what my bmw has. 2.25 is still good flow but thow a switch and its WOT in all its glory.
I have a 2" tip I put on to pass the 93 decible test (which it does) but power is off dramatically.
I see exhausts with additional chambers to absorb sound waves- a capped pipe welded in at 90* to the regular pipe- I wonder if adding something like this (assuming I could tune it) would get rid of some of the drone and/or buzz.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

benz-tech wrote:Yeah, my VG has everything done short of boost and N2O. it currently has a 3" resonator + the muffler. how about a 3" in dual 2.25 out with a butterfly on one outlet, its what my bmw has. 2.25 is still good flow but thow a switch and its WOT in all its glory.
2.25" mids to dual 2.5" outs with a crossover pipe? Kinda hot-rodish, but should provide all the flow you need, while being usefully quieter (depending on muffler choice, of course).

I'd be more inclined toward the electric cutouts if you could set them up to open at a certain rpm. That way, say if the opening was 4000rpm, you could run around town and stay in the lower powerband. Automatic for these sorts of controls is my preference. Would be an interesting construction.
benz-tech wrote:I see exhausts with additional chambers to absorb sound waves- a capped pipe welded in at 90* to the regular pipe- I wonder if adding something like this (assuming I could tune it) would get rid of some of the drone and/or buzz.
I think the difficult bit would be tuning. Unless you were pulling the design off a car with the same engine, I'd imagine the wave tuning would be particular to the engine and exhaust used. But that's way out of my league.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
benz-tech
Supporter

Post by benz-tech »

okayfine wrote: I'd be more inclined toward the electric cutouts if you could set them up to open at a certain rpm. That way, say if the opening was 4000rpm, you could run around town and stay in the lower powerband. Automatic for these sorts of controls is my preference. Would be an interesting construction.

I think the difficult bit would be tuning. Unless you were pulling the design off a car with the same engine, I'd imagine the wave tuning would be particular to the engine and exhaust used. But that's way out of my league.
It would like the manual cutout just because 2.5" is still pretty good flowing and I could drop the hammer down without having a completely flat top end. Then, if I lost, I could throw a switch and all hell breaks loose :lol:
I am seriously leaning in this direction

Wave tuning is way out of my league as well. Just thinking out loud.
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

A bigger can muffler is going to make the most difference in silencing eg an oval as opposed to a tube or bullet muffler. Most baffle mufflers reduce sound but tend to increase backpressure. A straight through design will give you the best flow but most are glass packed and will burn out and get louder as they age. You want a drilled straight through rather than louvered.

FlowMaster is baffled but usually pretty loud for a baffled muffler with a significant backpresure compared to a straight through design. Growlly and agressive sounding - probably not what you want.

MagnaFlow is a good muffler as well and the oval of course would be the way to go with that brand.

Dynomax seems to flow the best with their Ultraflow (Walker) but their Super Turbo mufflers tend to be quiter and are quite inexpensive. I'd probably go with the Super Turbo for what you want. I'm installing an Ultraflow as I'll be going to a L28ET on my S130 so I'll want as little backpreasure as possible.

An X pipe generally gives a little better performance for a V6 as well....