Lift is in, car in air...

View and post your 510 project(s)
Camano510
Supporter

Re: Lift is in, car in air...

Post by Camano510 »

Pics of the cart and the butchery of the past to install rear flares. Oh the humanity.......

I built the cart for ease of replacing the floors, and working the bottom side. Rockers are about 3ft off the floor. It will be available to anyone who wants it when I'm done, for a small fee to help replace the casters.
Attachments
resized5.jpg
resized6.jpg
resized4.jpg
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Camano510 wrote:Now I'm looking at the posting in the classifieds for the VQ33 swap, and my mind is racing. An already sorted swap for the price of a SR20 drivetrain. Obviously things would come up to put it into this car, but it seems to be a well done swap. And, he's not too far away........
Big difference in wheel HP between an L-series and that VG33. The VG deal is a very good value, but as much as you trust your son, I'd barely trust ME with worked VG33 power :lol:

The VG and SR are quite different engines in terms of HP and powerband and aren't typically "cross shopped."
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Dude, don't waste any more time or money, just get that VG swap, if I were there it would be in my garage going into a 4 door.....that is the most bang for your buck you will ever get. Just the fact that it's all there and ready, proven and just and easy install. I don't know this guy or the quality of the swap, but it's def worth going to look at...Looks like a lot of detail went into that too, so that should say something for the possibility of very good quality. Having done a SR swap myself, I can tel you that 2000 bucks won't get you far...my intercooler and rad cost that alone.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Was headed that direction. Planning to place a deposit, run south next weekend and get it, etc... but... when I finally got the guy on the phone, too late. If the first depositer falls through, its mine. Couldn't get an answer on the phone earlier today, but back and forthed him on the site. Just didn't make the connection quickly enough.

I understand what you mean about putting him in it with that kind of grunt, but hey, I can always 'hide' the big power with throttle stops, etc. He's young and naive. Can't teach him everything yet.....

That has to be the best deal I've seen for what you would get in a long time..... *sigh*.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Got to spend some time in the shop today, so I decided it was time to remove the flares and see what was inderneath. All I can say is ......Ugh. The only good thing about what I found is that it makes it easy to decide which way to go to fix it. Just going to be alot of work, which I already had prepared myself for. What is there is just, well, disgusting, as the pics show. Can't believe someone thought this was an acceptable way to do ANYTHING to a car. I saved the flares enough to reuse them. Going to create quarters and not be concerned with the factory lip, since the flares will be there. Will need to perform some surgery on the wheel wells.

Had my son cleaning and getting ready to detail the lights. A bit more to go with making messes, and then its off to my buddy's to do the sheetmetal work.

Good body/crap mechanicals is a WAAAAAYYYYYY better way to go.
Attachments
resize003.jpg
resize002.jpg
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Pulled the glass and dash out, and the doors off. Got the rear section delivered and cleaned up. Will save alot of work when the time comes. Baby steps......
Attachments
resize7.jpg
resize6.jpg
resize4.jpg
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

To those who are running the remote filter mount- Is there a kit available, or do I have to source all the pieces separately? Looking at where and how the stock filter sits, I am predicting a big clean up after each oil change. I really like Byron's location/set up. All I got from searching was a bunch of SBC shops saying 'Yes! your sing a PH8 right?'. Well, I may end up using one, but I don't know if the adapeter will go on the block correctly.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

Kits are available. The fact that the PH8 Fram Filter that fits the Datsun L series engine also fits the small block V8 Fords from the '60's & '70's helps.

Summit racing sells a kit for $51.95
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-1113/

If you are looking for a different line attachment at the mount or steel braid AN lines the parts can be sourced individually, but this gets expensive.

Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

That remote mount will be fine. Thanks, Dave!

I picked up my heater core after it being rebuilt/re-cored. Is it me, or can no-one do anything right? For the last couple weeks, it seems like everything I've attempted to have someone else do has not been satisfactory. Case in point for this item- As soon as I saw the heater core, I told them it wasn't right. The inlet and outlet tubes are not perpendicular/square to the core, so I knew right away it wouldn't go back into the heater box, because of the way the tubes snake through thier respective holes. So, he tells me to take it, and see if it will work, and if not, bring it back and they'll fix it. He even said I could take a torch to it and tweak the longer tube so it would work. Uh, no. I'm not going to put a twisting load on the connection to the tank. Now I'm in the 'can they do this correctly without causing other headaches?' realm. I'll give them one more go, and if its not good, I'll have to go another route, which will suck, because I'm already into them for $145.
Darryl Cavanaugh
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Camano510 wrote:Got to spend some time in the shop today, so I decided it was time to remove the flares and see what was inderneath. All I can say is ......Ugh. The only good thing about what I found is that it makes it easy to decide which way to go to fix it. Just going to be alot of work, which I already had prepared myself for. What is there is just, well, disgusting, as the pics show. Can't believe someone thought this was an acceptable way to do ANYTHING to a car. I saved the flares enough to reuse them. Going to create quarters and not be concerned with the factory lip, since the flares will be there. Will need to perform some surgery on the wheel wells.

Had my son cleaning and getting ready to detail the lights. A bit more to go with making messes, and then its off to my buddy's to do the sheetmetal work.

Good body/crap mechanicals is a WAAAAAYYYYYY better way to go.
Lord have mercy, your rear panels like mine! I just couldn't understand how someone could that either. What are you going to about yours? I'm either going to put bolt on flares on there or try to find some fiberglass replacement panels.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

spoolinitup33- Check the pics a few posts up. The rear section is going in place of the rotted old, and I will fab the sections fwd of the wheel wells. Flares are going back in place, so the fender lip is a non-issue.

Heater core update- Drop it at the shop, DRAW A PICTURE of what it needs to look like, with dimensions, and get the call that they've straigtened the tube. My response- "Only 1 tube? I left a drawing of what needed to be repaired, and I noted that both were not in the right place"........pause........ his response- "well, what do you want us to do? do you want us to fix that, too?" ........ Wow. So, around we go again. That heater core has travelled farther in the last week than the car has in the last 15 years. I will NOT be recommending this shop to others. Sadly, they are one of the only ones around here.

This weekend is dedicated to those who gave thier ALL for US, and getting some things handled in and around the shop. Sadly, few are 510 related.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Heater core returned in usable condition. I will have to open up the heater box at one of the inlet/outlets (the stubby one), because its not exactly where it was originally. Probably about 3/32 off, but will be fine. No real 510 progress otherwise...... Lots of other things need attention, and they are getting it.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Wow, almost 1 year since the last post here.... Sad.

Car is now steel only.... here are the pics of the floor pans. Not exact factory replacements, but will be a big improvement.

I have Tycotts rockers to address the as expected condition behind the panels.

Going to cut out what I need to, and send it out for blasting. Then a quick coat of primer, and back home to perform the repairs. Between the cage and seat mount bars and floor structure that will remain, I'm not concerned with any twisting or sagging.

Why is it I want to start working in the shop when the weather gets nice and I need to do the outdoor stuff?
Attachments
018 resize.jpg
018 resize.jpg (39.25 KiB) Viewed 4467 times
016 resize.jpg
016 resize.jpg (31.92 KiB) Viewed 4467 times
014 resize.jpg
014 resize.jpg (43.75 KiB) Viewed 4467 times
Darryl Cavanaugh
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

there was a guy on Ratsun from Australia posting his sheet metal. Even have a new tire well.
cant find it right now . They looked a little better but MORE Money.125 AU per side

nissco also sells some sheet metal.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Passenger side rocker is mostly off-still have to remove what is behind the jamb. Not nearly as bad as I'd figured....saving as much as I can, especially the multi-bend stamped areas.
Darryl Cavanaugh