Lift is in, car in air...

View and post your 510 project(s)
Camano510
Supporter

Re: Lift is in, car in air...

Post by Camano510 »

Quick update-

Since my last post, things have fallen into place. 2 weeks ago, my lumber package arrived. Walls are up and sheeted/nailed off per the plans. Trusses are in the design phase. Trench for utilities is dug. Working on setting power and water in place. Foundation has been back filled. Circular drive at the front of my home has been expanded. My original estimations were insufficient. Had to alter the the diameter a bit. Will test it out to make sure its sufficient. Making changes now is way easier than later....

Heading back to the factory on Tuesday the 26th. Will assess the schedule/workload once I’m there. Need to be home for the truss delivery, so that they stage them as needed. Potential Jury duty on 6/4. Don’t see any real travel in my immediate future, but, that’s fine with me.

Visited the Datsuns in the container while I was gathering framing equipment/tools. Seeing the projects stuffed in there just added to my urgency. Moisture is no ones friend who lives in our project world, and the container is not well ventilated.....

Pics soon....
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project
gooned

Post by gooned »

Progress 😎
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Camano510 wrote: 23 May 2020 00:03
...Seeing the projects stuffed in there just added to my urgency. Moisture is no ones friend who lives in our project world, and the container is not well ventilated.....
I was so lucky that my container was placed at the bottom of a stack, facing north/south with stacks on both sides. and another blocking the sun from the south. It saw very little temp swing, and it was there in that ship yard for 5 years with all my machines in it - no moisture issues thank god! I wax-oiled the hell out of everything - that was a well invested $100 case of preservative. I had one only relay on all my machines go off while in storage. I was very lucky, and I know it!

Let's hope things go as planned for you, and you get your stuff home this year.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Thanks Byron. I am truly looking forward to transporting all the projects, new lift, and tools to the new shop. Ive made a commitment to myself to not bring anything here until the sheetrock and paint is complete. If I don’t, Ill be lured into working on them, before the its finished. (For some reason, the apostrophe on my keyboard has decided to stop working).

Unfortunate times ahead, for many of my factory brethren. Layoffs are coming..... hoping the numbers stay as low as possible.... I’m predicting 30%, when the dust settles. Experience tells me that big reductions and people moving to new jobs means a big increase in my workload. This is a historic event, and the effects will be felt for a long time.

I hope these effect are as minimal on everyone’s lives, as much as they can be.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Well, another weird moment.

In San Antonio, working on the new Air Force One’s (there are 2).....

A small group of us from both the Everett (big planes) and Renton (737) AOG are here. See a Renton guy I’ve never worked with with the last name Ermish. I think, “what a coincidence”. A few days in, I wear a shirt with a 240z on it. He asks if I own any Datsun’s, and I say yes. Asks if I have any 510’s, and I say “in a way, yes”. Then it clicks-he’s Troy Ermish’s brother. I’ve got an ‘in’, so to speak.

The smallness of this ‘big’ world never stops presenting itself.

Heading home around 7/9 to get some work stuff handled, and then to set trusses (7/14 delivery), build the roof structure and get the shop dried-in. Already on the hook to return to SA to continue with this project, which could easily have me here into the fall. I’m even beginning to roll my own eyes when I say “I’ll get to the Datsun’s soon”.....

Watch out for each other out there.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Update.

Got home 7/10 from the Air Force One stuff, and the truss package arrived on 7/14. Spent the next 3 weeks rolling, bracing and trimming the entire roof structure (BY MYSELF), had the roofers sheet it, and when I was speaking with the roofing company owner about what color shingles I wanted, I said, ‘well, they need to match the house’. His response was that they were originally black, but they had aged and would be hard to match. House was built in 94. So, I got the quote to do the shop and the house, effectively restarting the roof aging clock. On 8/19, I had the shop dried-in and the house re-roofed. On 8/20, I returned to continue on the Air Force One work statement.

The COVID situation has benefited my household in a huge way. I can’t believe how much progress I have made since the end of March. At this time, I am through the inspections for rough framing, shear wall nailing schedules, and tie down requirements. Only the final buyoff remains, but that will entail the wrap/siding and trim/windows and doors/gutters and downspouts/final grading.

With what is looming on my horizon, I can’t guess as to when those tasks will get addressed. My biggest milestone was getting it dried in. I can breath a little easier now.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Roofing, by ones self.... I have memories of just a few years ago.
It sound like your sq. footage is more than mine was l, my roof was 1500 sq ft. And I recall placing some 65 sheets of 5/8” T&G plywood up there by my self which was a huge task on its own. Then sheeting...thankfully with my fathers help.
The only part that made me feel good about that job was the roofer made some comment about how square it was. I thought that to be an odd statement as I’d assume any roof must be square, really it’d have to be, no? He said some jobs are so far off square that you just would not believe what he’s seen. So that made my feel we were on the right track with the building as a whole.
We’ll look forward to your photos at lock up, and your final inspection to follow. Then the inside work....

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Wow. Crazy how time flies....5 months since my last post... Busy busy busy. Between the demands of the job and the winter weather, I’m just now starting to revisit the shop project.

In Nov, I had about 85% of the shop wrapped/sided. Then I left for Dubai, returned, spent the holidays in the factory working crazy hours, went to CA, then to S.Carolina, and returned to have my dirt guy start removing my old driveway, and start the prep for the new driveway, in work as you read this. I’m guessing about $60K in concrete flat work by the time I’m done. Wowch. But,it’s an investment in the property that will never be a loss...

Oh, and around Xmas, I bought an 03 E55 AMG. Woof. THAT car is ridiculous.

Leave for Switzerland on the 13th for 8 days, and will most likely be heading to Japan for a 747-8 tail strike repair soon after that.....

Planning to schedule the second half of August/first half of September on vacation to get the shop wrapped, at least exterior-wise... Paint/landscaping etc.... That, and getting the power taken care of....

I hope you and your families are doing as well as they can be with the current situation. Historic times, to be sure. Reach out to those you feel may need help- they may not do it on their own. Pride is a funny thing.

Blessings to you all!
Darryl Cavanaugh
gooned

Post by gooned »

Good to see an update, stay safe!
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

Wow ...it has been a while!
Wise words about helping others and pride.
Stay safe on your travels.

PS - pics when you can.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Thanks, guys. I’ll work on pics-they are so much more telling than words....

Just chained up the daily, before the snow arrives tonight. Should be an interesting commute to the airport in the AM... The chains are mostly to make sure I can get down the private drive- that road can be a little hairy... I’m hopeful the local authorities will clear the main roads.... fingers crossed.

A little insight into the current travel situation I get to experience:

COVID swab, at the local clinic, within 72 hours prior to my departure. Have to return the next day to collect the results. Multiple forms to fill out/carry with me at all times to be allowed into Switzerland. Found out today that because I am connecting in Amsterdam, I have to arrive an hour earlier to SeaTac to get a 4 hour prior test so I can go through there. With the latest requirements, I will be tested regularly, and then must be verified prior to me returning to the US.

It comical that people I work with think I have this glamorous job. Woohoo. All this BS, and I get to see the hotel, the commute, and the hangar for 12 hours+, EVERY day. That, and I get to be away from my family and responsibilities for extended periods. Lucky me....

Sounds like I’m complaining, I know. Certainly what I’d call first world problems....

Pics soon!
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Home from Switzerland at 2:30 am on 2/25, kiss the dogs, put down a sick kitten (yay), kick the wife, and fly to Narita, Japan on the 27th. Currently on day 5 of my 14 day quarantine, and then will perform the repair for 16 days. Not allowed to leave the hotel grounds, not that there is much nearby to go do at this time here. This place is on full lockdown. Have to respond everyday to a ‘wellness confirmation’ email, masks required, rubber gloves, etc etc....

I’ve chosen to look at this as a ‘when do you ever get to do NOTHING for 2 weeks?’. Clearly the answer is never. Rest, heal, stretch, do some YouTube yoga, read, draw, research, plan.... I guess I’m not actually doing ‘nothing’.

Getting all my ducks in a row for the driveway pour. Hoping late May/early June. I missed my chance to get pics before I left, and I’m not sure I remember how to get them into the site....

Hopefully all the world dumbeness ends soon (well, relative dumbness, anyways -*cough*Our current administration*cough*)...

Take care of yourselves and your loved ones.
Darryl Cavanaugh
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Been home a week, working on the shop. Maintaining the wife’s car. Spring cleaned the deck/balcony/porch-10+ hours of scrubbing and washing. Got my quote for the driveway/flatwork- 8100 Sq ft, $50K+tax. Funny that I’m happy its less than I had thought.

The last day in Japan I finally made it to RE Anemiya. WOW. Cool little shop with some very serious equipment. Got a quick tour-didn’t want to keep them from their work- and fought through the language barrier. Thank goodness for translating apps. Glad I went.

We did do a day off into Tokyo, so one of my friends could buy a real Samurai sword-as in, one made by one of the 3 remaining families that produce them in the original way. Certifications/paperwork, the whole deal. This was no ‘souvenir’, it was an investment. There were swords there dating to 1450. Really Amazing stuff. Very clean and orderly city. I would like to return someday to see it at a more relaxed pace.... My wife watched the James May travel program, and now she wants to go too.

I need someone to help me get photos loaded. I use an iPad for everything, and don’t see any links to do it easily. Please message me some instructions.

Thanks!
Darryl Cavanaugh
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Must feel good to be home!

For the pics:
1. Get a Flickr account
2. Download Flickr app
3. Upload your chosen pics using the app (make sure it’s public so the link works)
4. Post to the realm and link your photos that you want share (copying the bbcode is the easiest). Not sure if this can be done easier with the app or full version on a browser. Good luck!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Update. I’ve created a Flickr acct, and the pics are loading as I write. I’m so new to it that I don’t have a clue how to link the bbcode (or even what a bbcode is!), so just search my name as written in the signature line, and you should see it. It’s the only stuff I have on there. I may have fat fingered some other photos into it, too…

Been off work since 5/27, getting all my ducks in a row for the concrete work.

When I had my driveway removed a few months back, I arranged with my neighbor that I would re-pour the entry to hers, as the way the intersection worked would fail in short order after I poured mine if I didn’t make a couple changes. After mine, and the first section of hers was removed, it occurred to her that she would not be happy looking at her older, failing driveway running into my new one. Smart lady. She had my dirt guy remove, extend, and prep hers for a new one. At the same time, I was pondering the existing floor in the house garage. It had a crack that I felt had grown since we moved here, and the front edge was not flat, and I didn’t like the idea of pouring the new driveway against it. I went to my wife and said I was going to spend some more money, and when I explained why, she smiled and said “Well, this is going to be MY garage, so make it pretty!” Another smart lady. So, I reached out to my dirt guy, and told him the plan. I gutted the garage, moved everything out to the shop, he called his concrete saw guy, and we removed the old floor. I’m SO glad I made that call! 2-8in gap below the concrete, as the back fill had settled over the last 25 + years. No prep, rebar, nothing. It would have eventually failed completely. Now, its properly compacted, graveled, with vapor barrier and a full rebar grid drilled into the footings. I’m calling that a big win. Cheaper now than later, and no risk of damage to the new (as of yet, not poured) driveway. The concrete guys arrived last week, and as of now, the neighbor’s driveway is done, down to the intersecting area. Looks great, and she is super excited. The garage floor was poured Friday, and I will be saw cutting the joints this afternoon. They started laying the forms for the flat work, starting at the shop, and will continue into the week, and pour based on the weather. I have been scrambling everyday to get all the final grading and details worked out so all they had to do was get concrete done. They told me Friday that this was one of the nicest sites they’ve worked in a long time, because of the time and effort I’d spent. I told them I’m too picky, and they laughed and said, “Well, that picky-ness put about $40K in your pocket, because that’s what this level of detail would have cost you.” WOW.

Then, as aways happens, the phone rings….. Leave for California Monday, for 40 days, to fix a broken 777. With my interactions with them over the last 10 or so days, I’m fully confident in the crew’s ability to do my flat work to a very high level, and have removed any roadblocks they might have encountered. I should return to a complete driveway, new garage doors on the house and shop, and gutters in place on the shop. I thought I had run myself out of tasks around 1pm yesterday, but then realized I could paint the trim and facia the gutters would cover, so, I did that. It’s why I can sit here and write this novel- I only have the concrete joint cutting on my task list, until I return.

Shop is sided, and caulked. I’ve pulled all the wiring/outlets etc inside the shop. Still need to do the panel itself, but everything is to it, and labeled. A couple more connections for the power feed, and I can sell the electrical permit. Once I get a garage door and gutters on the shop, I can sell my building permit.

The Datsun’s are getting closer to returning to my own property. Still have some more ‘modifications’ to do in the shop (after permits sell-wink wink), then insulate/Sheetrock/paint, but there is light at the end of that tunnel, and its not an oncoming train! Exterior paint may take place if I get a ‘lull’ in the projects, but that is an easy thing to start and stop as time/weather permits.

Again- apologies for the novel. I can get a little long winded. Checking on a couple project builds gives me a little push to keep going so that I can SOMEDAY get to mine…. Gotta get everything in place before I crack open those treasure chests.

Be well, everyone.

Darryl
Darryl Cavanaugh