wheel/brake/suspension fitment

nudime

wheel/brake/suspension fitment

Post by nudime »

I know there are a few threads out there on this topic but havent managed to find one to fully answer my questions so maybe you guys can help. my set up is 510 hubs on coilovers on 280zx strut tubes.
what wheel size is necessary to clear z32 brakes?
also, I am looking at some wheels 15x7 +10 for the front and 15x7.5 +4 for the rear.
will these fit or require some spacers and/or grinding on the rear control arm? (dont want to reduce the structural integrity there just to fit wheels)
would it help to set up some 200sx struts instead?
thanks for any info you guys can provide.
S15DET
Supporter

Re: wheel/brake/suspension fitment

Post by S15DET »

With a +4 on the rear you won't have to worry about the wheel hitting the trailing arm. You will have to worry about the body, do you have flairs already?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

nudime wrote:I know there are a few threads out there on this topic but havent managed to find one to fully answer my questions so maybe you guys can help. my set up is 510 hubs on coilovers on 280zx strut tubes.
what wheel size is necessary to clear z32 brakes?
also, I am looking at some wheels 15x7 +10 for the front and 15x7.5 +4 for the rear.
will these fit or require some spacers and/or grinding on the rear control arm? (dont want to reduce the structural integrity there just to fit wheels)
would it help to set up some 200sx struts instead?
thanks for any info you guys can provide.
First, before going any further, I'd have to ask a question - why do you need/want Z32 brakes?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
nudime

Post by nudime »

z32 brakes are not necessary since i already have some 280zx brakes and they get the job done well. I was just offered a set for little to no cost (friend totaled his car) so I am just seeing if its worth doing.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

nudime wrote:I was just offered a set for little to no cost (friend totaled his car) so I am just seeing if its worth doing.
New wheels and tires, suspension changes, fabricated adapter brackets, hoses, pads, rotors, BMC...that's pretty expensive for "little to no cost." And we haven't even gotten to the back yet.

Sometimes free costs too much. No reason to upgrade when there's no reason to upgrade. Keep your 510 rollin'.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
nudime

Post by nudime »

looking to put some different wheels on the dime regardelss of the brake situation. as for all of the added costs, not too much of a cost for coils on 200sx struts (some jy crawling and work.) thanks for the info s15det, dont have flairs nor am i looking to get any. im just trying to get the proper sized wheels to minimize the use of spacers to bolt them up while not buying something that is going to rub or not work how i have things set up. thanks for the constructive criticism guys...
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Most of the Z32 brake installs I've seen on 510s include the use of FWD-offset rims to clear the calipers. The rear two-piston opposed Z32 calipers are especially wide. Your +4 rims won't come close to clearing, and I'd guestimate that the fronts will also hit without big spacers.

It can be done, but it's much more than new wheels.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
nudime

Post by nudime »

fwd wheels...not sure they are worth the tradeoff. thanks
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

What I didn't want to get into is that all these "Bling" big brake weigh a hell of a lot! And unsprung weight is really felt from the driver’s position. Then of course your brake bias gets thrown out the window...
Even more items to add to okayfine's list of why you don’t “need” this.
I wanted to be nice, but I'll give my opinion (I know there's lots of opinions out there...) 280ZX brakes have stopped race 510's in endurance situations for 20 years! I just can't say more! Bling is cool, but honestly, you probably get much more enjoyment out of many other parts of your 510 with the same money and time spent else where.
Post some pics of your project, then we can really talk tech!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
nudime

Post by nudime »

thanks. just considering picking them up for possible use in the future. I think that they wouldnt be too difficult to sell if I didnt end up using them. cheers.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Byron510 wrote:I'll give my opinion (I know there's lots of opinions out there...) 280ZX brakes have stopped race 510's in endurance situations for 20 years!
Byron, your opinion echos that of Peter Brock. His Datzilla, with a 450HP Chevy ZZ3 crate engine, is equipped with 280ZX brakes up front and...drums in the back. Good enough for BRE and 450HP, good enough for anyone.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

280 calipers and drums will work pretty well and lots of people do win with them but, there is an advantage to running (the right) bigger calipers. My AP calipers weigh less than the 280 calipers (3.5 LBS), have better fade resistance and stopping ability and are run on some pretty successful cars (Mine came off the 510 that won the GP class at the SCCA runoffs in 04 and placed 2nd and 3rd several other years).

That all being said, I only bought them for the bling factor :lol:
nudime

Post by nudime »

Quite surprised BRE has drums on the rear.