New Forum Organization

Problems, Comments, Questions regarding the website
5teN
Site Admin

New Forum Organization

Post by 5teN »

Hey Guys,
I've been toying with the idea of adding some more forums to help keep some of the posts organized. Also, it should make the useful posts easy to find, and to remove the large amount of stickies in the top of forums.

Does anyone have any comments on the below list:

GENERAL
-------------------
GENERAL DISCUSSION
EVENTS
510 CLUB OF BC
CLASSIFIEDS

TECHNICAL
---------
SUSPENSION
POWERTRAIN
ENGINE SWAPS
BODY & ELECTRICAL
FEATURED PROJECTS
PROJECTS
thisismatt
Supporter

Re: New Forum Organization

Post by thisismatt »

My 2 cents:

Classifieds doesn't have enough traffic to warrant splitting it up at all.

I'm more likely to help in sections I'm already looking at, so a FAQ section wouldn't see much help from me and I think that's true for most people. I would rather see one sticky thread (maybe locked) that has links to live FAQ/common topic threads that aren't actually stickied. That way people can access them quickly and if they still have a question they can ask in the appropriate thread, and this would alleviate the mass sticky issue.

I think pictures within project threads are nice, but the old gallery was cool for flipping through and finding what you're looking for more easily, so another gallery setup would be nice.
I'm your huckleberry.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I'm sure I'll get used to the new layout, but I liked the old. Kept 510 stuff at the top, and really in just two main forums. Was easier to browse that way. Now instead of a couple forums, there are a few times more, and some forums within forums.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

My God...CHANGE...don't you know us old guys can't handle CHANGE.....Oh the Humanity....

Could we at least get titles over the posts?
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

I like it. I think it will help organize a lot of the posts for people browsing the website. Personally, I usually just use the "view new posts" button, but I think the reorganization is a good thing.

Now we just need the quick reply function back!
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

i'm with Duke.... who uses the usual forum organization?
I read it all, through the "View New Posts" button.

Better organization is always a good thing, but I think the moderators should get paid more to keep it that way.
And who would determine which projects go into which category?
Why not just "sticky" the top/best/favourite ones?
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

I also have noticed you did change things.
You may want to check/add moderator permissions to the new or changed forums.
;)
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

umm..
hmm.
ahh..
i like the old way(the latest old way)
Martin SSS

Post by Martin SSS »

510Freak wrote:umm..
hmm.
ahh..
i like the old way(the latest old way)
Now I know why I could not find stuff. :oops: Guess I will get used to the new layout.
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Yeah this seriously sucks ass. Why change something that everyone liked to begin with?
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

spoolinitup33 wrote:Yeah this seriously sucks ass. Why change something that everyone liked to begin with?
lol.

My only real gripe is the layout regarding how it clips wide images...now that's lame!
I'm your huckleberry.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

thisismatt wrote:
spoolinitup33 wrote:Yeah this seriously sucks ass. Why change something that everyone liked to begin with?
lol.

My only real gripe is the layout regarding how it clips wide images...now that's lame!

Agreed.

I have "The 510 Realm (view new posts)" on my tool bar so I never even noticed. Change is good, I don't know about this one, but generally it is. Time will tell and it's reversible.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

If the "Technical - Archive" forum is supposed to be an archive, maybe it should have the ability to create new topics removed.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

okayfine wrote:If the "Technical - Archive" forum is supposed to be an archive, maybe it should have the ability to create new topics removed.
Good Call! I wanted to do that but it slipped my mind. I will make it so new topics cannot be created, but so topics can still be replyed to.

MODS - if you have a chance, and can help move the active topics to their new sections that would be awesome!
BlackWidow

Post by BlackWidow »

What about a Brake specific topic.

Thanks for the forums
1972 4dr 510 (Turbo KA24E build in progress)