my 72 510 little Project

View and post your 510 project(s)
Ryan@CiNcity

my 72 510 little Project

Post by Ryan@CiNcity »

i dont really consider this a BIG project yet. i plan on doing the SR swap later but i figured i post some pics of what im doing now.

About 2 weeks ago i picked up my 72 510 for $1500. It had a SOHC KA in it but the kid i bought it from had spun a bearing in it and pretty much destroyed the motor. so i started taking that one out and im just going to put a different SOHC KA in it just for simplicity sake.

When i got it i knew it had a subaru LSD, Old school Recaro's, coil overs, upgraded brakes on the front(still not sure what they are) and the KA swap. but when i got to taking things apart i found out that the coil overs were TIEN..... pretty cool i thought. then when i got the motor and trans out i found out that it had a fairly new EXEDY clutch. again pretty cool cause these are all name brands that i have heard of before not some ebay knock off crap.

So now the motor and trans are out and im trying to come up with a semi-reliable KA and the car will be back to running condition.

Some of my future plans consist of doing the SR swap this coming winter, doing some body work. Its really isnt that bad of condition just some dents and a few rust spots. floor pans look great so is the underside of the car. I work for CiNcity designs where we do headlight modification so we are also planning on doing a Bi-Xenon Retrofit on the 510. should be fun!! well here are some pics and ill try to keep this updated.

ENJOY!!

This is how it was sitting when i found it.

the motor had alot of snow and ice in it.

it has some sweet 15in nissan wheels too. probably going to keep them and powder coat them bronze.

the interior is in decent shape. the dash has no cracks and seems that most of the interior pieces are there. doesnt have inside door panels or a headliner and i think the back seat is still original.

#3 wasnt even moving when i turned the crank....i tried pulling it out cause i was bored and it just got stuck there LOL.

the car had all the extras to like bumpers and grills and all the lights and side markers.

Pulling the junk motor and a few of our shop friends that like to hang out LOL.

This is how she sits now till i get another KA.
yenpit

Re: my 72 510 little Project

Post by yenpit »

Welcome to the forum! Now that's alotta snow!!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
NICKLE&DIME

Post by NICKLE&DIME »

That is one of my favorite colors! I like the wheels on that car too, Nice find.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

OMG!!! That's a buddy of mines old car!! Those camber plates used to be mine :D haha Did the engine still have the short tail tranny on it? With only 2 bolts holding the tranny brace in? Where do you live? I thought it went to California.... HHHMMM So who did you buy it from? Who did he buy it from? Weird.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Ryan@CiNcity

Post by Ryan@CiNcity »

icehouse wrote:OMG!!! That's a buddy of mines old car!! Those camber plates used to be mine :D haha Did the engine still have the short tail tranny on it? With only 2 bolts holding the tranny brace in? Where do you live? I thought it went to California.... HHHMMM So who did you buy it from? Who did he buy it from? Weird.
yep it only had 2 bolts in the tranny brace. its kinda wierd, i bought it from a local guy who bought it from my partner, he got it shipped here (north dakota) from Oregon. so if your buddy is from oregon then yes it probably is his old car. i dont know any other owners farther than that though. the car looks the same as when it first got here from Oregon.

and as for the paint.... its really really dull and will probably get a new coat sooner or later. its probably going to stay blue but with a fresher look. motor should be in with in the next couple of weeks and on the road again!!! i cant wait!!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Ryan@CiNcity wrote:
icehouse wrote:OMG!!! That's a buddy of mines old car!! Those camber plates used to be mine :D haha Did the engine still have the short tail tranny on it? With only 2 bolts holding the tranny brace in? Where do you live? I thought it went to California.... HHHMMM So who did you buy it from? Who did he buy it from? Weird.
yep it only had 2 bolts in the tranny brace. its kinda wierd, i bought it from a local guy who bought it from my partner, he got it shipped here (north dakota) from Oregon. so if your buddy is from oregon then yes it probably is his old car. i dont know any other owners farther than that though. the car looks the same as when it first got here from Oregon.

and as for the paint.... its really really dull and will probably get a new coat sooner or later. its probably going to stay blue but with a fresher look. motor should be in with in the next couple of weeks and on the road again!!! i cant wait!!
haha That's to crazy!! My buddy sold it to the guy in oregon.. So it must have had at least 3 owners since him, it looks exactly the same though :D
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

So it must have had at least 3 owners since him

Typical!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

banzai510(hainz) wrote:So it must have had at least 3 owners since him

Typical!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, Hainz, 510's are like dirty whores :lol:
I'm your huckleberry.
angzt

Post by angzt »

thisismatt wrote:
banzai510(hainz) wrote:So it must have had at least 3 owners since him

Typical!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, Hainz, 510's are like dirty whores :lol:

LOL!!
Ryan@CiNcity

Post by Ryan@CiNcity »

finally have a replacment SOHC KA on the way. should be up here next week. included with the motor is a aftermarket header and a socketed ECU... so ill update when we start to put it in..... while i wait i painted the grill and rolled the rear fenders so i could fit my tires under it and just cleaned up the inside a bit to make it look not so ragged and abused.

pics to come.
oe3

Post by oe3 »

Where abouts in North Dakota are you? You should make a trip up to Winnipeg some time this summer if you have the car running. There are a handful of510's that usually meet Sundays (about a half dozen but they don't always make it out) and we do the odd road trip together through the summer. I'm newer to the 'club' myself but the guys are a lot of fun, I really enjoy it.
Ryan@CiNcity

Post by Ryan@CiNcity »

i live in bismarck so its a pretty long drive but that is someplace i have always wanted to go to since i have lived up here.

i plan on driving the car to ocean city maryland this coming june and it would be nice to get a longer roadtrip in before i head out east. so who knows maybe before that i might take a trip up there.... it would be alot of fun im sure.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Ryan@CiNcity wrote:i live in bismarck so its a pretty long drive but that is someplace i have always wanted to go to since i have lived up here.

i plan on driving the car to ocean city maryland this coming june and it would be nice to get a longer roadtrip in before i head out east. so who knows maybe before that i might take a trip up there.... it would be alot of fun im sure.
Let me know when you will be in OC, MD. I am 150 miles from there (suburbs of DC). Maybe we can do a 510 gathering with the other DC-MD-Va area 510s while you are over this way.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
djlotus
Supporter

Post by djlotus »

qwik510 wrote:in OC, MD. I am 150 miles from there (suburbs of DC). Maybe we can do a 510 gathering with the other DC-MD-Va area 510s while you are over this way.
I second this notion.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

We could probably get about 5-10 guys with dimes togehter if we have enough notice. Let us know.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage