Fuel pumps

spoolinitup33

Fuel pumps

Post by spoolinitup33 »

I was just wondering, is there any reason people use in tank fuel pumps vs inline pumps? I put an inline walboro 255lph on mine. Is it because of the noise or something?
TUF510

Re: Fuel pumps

Post by TUF510 »

i just thinks its more to do with the face that they don't have to run a surge tank if built correctly + noise factor
and less clutter with plumbing etc

I have an inline one bosch 044 and carter lift pump which are the noisiest pumps known.
Some Boost in my FJ is good....More is better!!! :D
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Pumps can produce almost any pressure. Some hydraulic pumps are in the thousands of PSI. Pumps are not good at suction. No pump, no matter how well made or powerful can suck water vertically more than about 10 meters. (gas might be slightly higher) For this reason it's best to locate an electric pump as close to the tank as possible, even inside, to reduce losses. The fuel also cools the in tank high pressure EFI pump motors.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I've always wanted to do an in tank pump, the inline pumps get starved for fuel when the tank is below 1/3 full. It's really annoying to run out of fuel in a corner...
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Alright, I kind of figured I'd get responses saying that it runs out some going around turns and that it wouldn't suck. I mounted mine to where it wouldn't have to suck, so maybe it will work out alright. Tuf, what do you mean about a surge tank? Will I need to something like that?
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Is a surge tank used so the pump won't be starved for fuel when you go around a turn or something?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

It's essentially a mini gas tank located next to your external pump. Fuel flows via gravity into the surge tank, which flows to the pump. Momentary cornering/sloshing in the main tank doesn't impact the pump, since it will be feeding off the surge/mini tank.

Basically an external's version of the cup the in-tank pumps it in.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
TUF510

Post by TUF510 »

Here is a diagram of my setup ... (all care taken no responsibility)

and a photo of the surge tank mounted under right side rear footwell

Some Boost in my FJ is good....More is better!!! :D
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

While I am not fuel injected ( i do use a fuel injection pump), this mod on my tank has accomplished the same thing! I can run the tank virtually dry, and it will not uncover the pickup point under high g-loading, etc.. Also increases your fuel capacity by 2 liters. I never carry a spare, which can be an issue for you.
Attachments
anti surge fuel tank modification
anti surge fuel tank modification
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

icehouse wrote:I've always wanted to do an in tank pump, the inline pumps get starved for fuel when the tank is below 1/3 full. It's really annoying to run out of fuel in a corner...
My wagon has an external inline walbro that is mounted just above the front leaf mount.
It is just inline with the bottom of the wagon gas tank.
It never starves unless I am almost running on fumes.
A lot of guy that install the in tank pumps complain of fuel starvation to, so they are not immune.
One setup you could use is the VW jetta surge tank/pump assembly. Works very well in sedan applications because you can mount below the fuel tank. The wagon you cannot so you need to run a lift pump. There are a few modifications needed to make the VW setup work in a gravity feed setup but many people have had success with that setup.
I can post pics if you need.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

vgwagon wrote:
icehouse wrote:I've always wanted to do an in tank pump, the inline pumps get starved for fuel when the tank is below 1/3 full. It's really annoying to run out of fuel in a corner...
My wagon has an external inline walbro that is mounted just above the front leaf mount.
It is just inline with the bottom of the wagon gas tank.
It never starves unless I am almost running on fumes.
A lot of guy that install the in tank pumps complain of fuel starvation to, so they are not immune.
One setup you could use is the VW jetta surge tank/pump assembly. Works very well in sedan applications because you can mount below the fuel tank. The wagon you cannot so you need to run a lift pump. There are a few modifications needed to make the VW setup work in a gravity feed setup but many people have had success with that setup.
I can post pics if you need.

I kinda want to build a whole new tank :D Add it to the list right :D Then I could add some nice baffles, then it would never run out in the corners.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

FWIW, my in-tank pump will starve in a medium speed corner with anything less than 1/4 tank, and it is mounted as low as possible. That stinks. There are baffles in teh stock tank, but they are much too open to do any good. I now have to decide between relocating the pump to an external surge tank similar to Keiths, or to a ship-in-a-bottle trick and fill in the stock baffling to make it work better.
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Well I'll see what happens once I get it running, if it won't run right without like more than 1/4 I guess I'll just keep it filled above that point lol. I don't really plan on doing any hardcore driving in it though. Thanks for all the information. I googled surge tank and it gave me a link to a website where a guy built a surge tank out of a plastic water filter I think lol. It said he had used it for like 2 years and never had any problems with it.

Edit: here's the link to that website with the guy that used the water filter- http://www.geocities.com/hrayhouston/antisurgetank.html
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

spoolinitup33 wrote:Well I'll see what happens once I get it running, if it won't run right without like more than 1/4 I guess I'll just keep it filled above that point lol. I don't really plan on doing any hardcore driving in it though. Thanks for all the information. I googled surge tank and it gave me a link to a website where a guy built a surge tank out of a plastic water filter I think lol. It said he had used it for like 2 years and never had any problems with it.

Edit: here's the link to that website with the guy that used the water filter- http://www.geocities.com/hrayhouston/antisurgetank.html
That's not a bad idea - I have a couple of those type filters installed, but mine have a clear housing which I think would be an added feature.
I'm your huckleberry.