KAE vs KA/Z24

saifa
Supporter

KAE vs KA/Z24

Post by saifa »

Well I have read and researched for a good couple of hours on this. I am wondering why more people use the hybrid over just a straight KA and any install tips / tricks as well as any performance tips.

From what I gather people like the Z24 bottom because it drops into the existing framework and you can swap some of your L (if you have) parts right onto it. Also the use of the dual row timing chain seems to be a popular reason to build the hybrid versus straight KAE. Other than that are there any benefits? The reason i ask is because there is a KAE complete motor /trans down the street from me for $100 but no Z24 in sight lol.

I have noticed in my readings a few things and am just gonna jot down some questions that i hope you fine gents can help me with.

A lot of the head swaps people mention using the 200sx KA, is that not FWD? No one really seems to mention using the early 240sx motor as a core or as a head swap candidate.

I already have a Maddat X member so I will be A OK with the KA installed in the car. I also have Maddat mounts which will work for the SR20 / KA24DE, will these also work with the E motor?

What transmission is best to use? I read there is "engine tilt" with the install which I am guessing would obviously affect the tranny angle. Since I would set it up carburated I would need to straighten out the motor and such, correct? Would my Maddat mounts correct that? Also I have a Maddat tranny brace. Would it work with the KAE or just the KADE?

I am wondering if anyone knows if the crank between the KADE and KAE are interchangeable?

In this link which I found in another thread http://www.srpl.com/~robert/2007/Jason_Gray.htm a few specs are given for the KA. Are they refering to SOHC or DOHC or are they the same specs?

I have a few more questions written down but I'll start with those first. Thanks in advance.
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: KAE vs KA/Z24

Post by datzenmike »

There were no KA 200sx's until '89.... then they were called 240sx's. They were all RWD.

If running any KA motor use the FS5W71C (KA tranny) It's much stronger than any Z series or L/Z series hybrid tranny you could build. Tilt is not a problem, just install in the same position as it came out of.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
saifa
Supporter

Post by saifa »

Tranny # FS5W71B was also mentioned. What is the difference between the 2? E versus DE?
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Just get a KA24DE with tranny and install it :D I don't understand people using the Nap Z bottom end, seems like a waist of time to me, the KA and Nap Z have the same bell pattern so the lean is more built into the head. The intake and exhaust will be the problem.... I'm somewhat confused I guess.. A friend has a built dual cam and that sucker beats ton's of cars down at the street races. All the honda kids get pissed when the turbo Civic gets killed by an all motor KA. He didn't do anything fancy just a built dual cam no block swaps no major tricks just a good engine builder.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
jesusno2

Post by jesusno2 »

Check out my 70 goon underconstruction thread I've completed a ka24e swap wasn't to hard cost a bunch but not to labor intensive
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

saifa wrote:Tranny # FS5W71B was also mentioned. What is the difference between the 2? E versus DE?
I would not bother putting a KA24E or DE head on a Z24 block. If you have an E or DE run it with the tranny on it. The DE breaths slightly better, so has more potential if modded and 10-15 more horses than a stock E.

The FS5W71(B) has been around since '77 and has had a few improvements added over the years but the was unable to keep up with the hp increases of the mid '80s. The FS5W71(C) was introduced in '86.5 to handle the GV30E, CA18DET and the coming KA E and DE. It is a much improved tranny and much better than the touted T-5 in the 280zx turbo. It has an improved shifter, stronger gears, improved synchros and internal bearings.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
saifa
Supporter

Post by saifa »

I was looking on Nismoparts.com and saw they make a longer rod / piston combo for the KA. I belive its 171.4 versus the stock 165mm but am not sure if they're for DOHC or SOHC? Would that allow me to rev it a bit higher? I am wondering what head gasket I would use. Has anyone looked into this stuff before?

Seann
djlotus
Supporter

Post by djlotus »

datzenmike wrote:There were no KA 200sx's until '89.... then they were called 240sx's. They were all RWD.
FWD 200sx = Sentra
traitorjacknif

Post by traitorjacknif »

You can pick up a KA24DE for cheap, i bought mine complete with a new exedy stage 2 clutch/flywheel and wiring harness for 150, yes 150 bucks.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

saifa wrote:I was looking on Nismoparts.com and saw they make a longer rod / piston combo for the KA. I belive its 171.4 versus the stock 165mm but am not sure if they're for DOHC or SOHC? Would that allow me to rev it a bit higher? I am wondering what head gasket I would use. Has anyone looked into this stuff before?

Seann
Are you staying with the stock EFI? If so, it won't rev higher anyway. KA revs very nicely to its redline as long as you have the exhaust to support it. If not, what are your engine management plans?

What's a "bit" higher?

And why? More power, or just to have a "rev"ier engine? SR20DE has a 7500 rpm redline stock and might be a better choice. A KA can make power at redline with relatively tame modifications, but it's a different story to bump that redline up 1000rpm.

Your OP seemed concerned with the basics of a KA swap. Your latest post doesn't fit.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
saifa
Supporter

Post by saifa »

I was waiting for your response Okay...you usually jump in threads I post with good insights. Yes the topic has changed slightly as I have been doing more and more snooping along the way. Long story short i wouldn't mind trying to do my own version of a Rebello (KA w. Webbers) or close to it. Originally I found a seller with a SOHC very close and very cheap which initially sparked my interest. Like I said in the beginning the more I searched, the more I found people using hybrids versus a straight SOHC and wondered why. I have pretty much found most of those answers.

From there i've started searching the guts of the motors. Which cams work best, which pistons etc...and thats where i am right now. I have access to a pretty good engine builder that does a lot of old muscle type stuff. I know I can get the labour done for cheap if not free but there are tricks to any build. Big Papa Pump as I call him has zero experience with the KA's so I was searching the stuff out myself. eg how much to port intake versus exhaust, valve upgrade worth it, plus i know there are mods done to the rockers as well.

I figured I was well along the way to making a decision when the seller informed me he had a DOHC KA sitting there as well. So here i am back at square one. I called Troy for some tips (best 510 vendor i have dealt with hands down)and that opened up an entirely new can of worms. Apparently he has a complete setup SOHC hybrid for sale with EVERYTHING I would need to make it work.

Seann
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

saifa wrote:I Like I said in the beginning the more I searched, the more I found people using hybrids versus a straight SOHC and wondered why. I have pretty much found most of those answers.
Seann
hy⋅brid: 1. bred from two distinct races, breeds, varieties, species, or genera.

What hybrids are those? Replacing parts with custom made ones such as forged pistons, rods and cams wouldn't qualify, I would think. Modifying a part like porting a head wouldn't either. Using parts from other different motors would. Such as early domed E pistons in a Z24.
saifa
Supporter

Post by saifa »

I meant hybrid as in the KA sohc head on the Z24 bottom instead of using a straight up KA sohc. It seems poplular because it bolts right into stock local and allows the use of some of the stock components. For me both those things are irrelevant as I already have a stock and reverse x member, KA / SR swap mounts.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

You aren't the first to mention this. Makes no sense whatever to me either. Do you have a link to this swap info???
saifa
Supporter

Post by saifa »

No link. Just search the forum. KA Head and Hybrid were the two search terms i used...be prepared for a lot of reading. From what I gather the SOHC on the NAPZ block lets you keep factory mounting position plus a few other benefits you'll read. Basically in the long run just a NAPZ bottom with a better flowing head. Oh ya plus you get the benefit of a dual row timing chain which the SOHC motor does not have on its own. I think the only "hard part" is the work you have to do to get the head to work properly with the Z oil / water plumbing. Don't quote me on it thought...I have a full Word Document typed of all the notes i took while looking through the old threads lol.

I think in the end its an older swap. Now that the KA DOHC motor's are as cheap as they are I can't really see myself not going for it. For the DOHC carbed the trade of obviously is the need to reverse the cross member and maybe mounts...again I gotta check my notes or just ask one of the smart guys on the realm :) plus a custom distributor is needed. If the DOHC sparks any interest check out Dukes project thread. Lots of helpful tips I found in there plus his header alone is worth posting as your desktop picture.