Suspension Setups

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
arabian_ryda

Post by arabian_ryda »

northsside. how about your self. are u currently in town at the moment?
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

I'm in town until May. Then my car and I are going back to BC where we belong for the summer.

I live near Whyte Ave. And go to school at NAIT, go figure.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That's great, glad to hear you are coming back! Should we start planning the Princeton run now?
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

Sounds great! I love trying to chase you, and learning all the areas my car needs to be improved. More camber, more caster, more stick. more power probably too.

But the best part is hearing you pass me at full throttle!
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
arabian_ryda

Post by arabian_ryda »

im off school the rest of the week if youd like to come by or maybe we could meet if you have time in your agenda. ill pm you my number.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

so back on topic...

what kinda of setup should I run to keep up with Keith on the twisties? maybe back to talking about the Chapperal cars with vacuums and dynamic wings?

I will be looking into the cater issue for sure though. time to make some new/different camber plates or adjustable TCs.

Oh, and tires. but that's a different thread all together. I'll need to replace the snow tires currently on the car.
richard norrish
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

More front end bite, remember that hair pin we went into?
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

yup, that's what I was thinking about. That was about the worst of it.

There's lots of little things to work on. But I finally have the right, at least better, rear springs in my car. I noticed it already pushed less in the short time driving before it got parked. and a couple times after being "parked".

Next is worrying about things like exact caster, camber, control arm angle, general sloppiness in steering box and idler arm.....the list goes on.

Then there's the rust, it needs tires, only has some junker 1800 (it was once offered as the Motor Blow engine - maybe this year will be its year!).
richard norrish
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning Richard,
Yah, it's never that simple is it? The whole steering box issue just sucks. I'm sure you followed the post about the boxes. The HL510 worm and sector are NO longer available anymore. We really are driving antiques.

Keith Law
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

I have a source for a HL box. Too bad about the gears. And I'm guessing Lordco and the like wouldn't carry parts like that...
richard norrish
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

You should grab that HL box, it would at least be as good if not better than the 510 box. No, I would not think Lordco would carry that. Maybe there as that magic wharehouse some where, filled with old parts sitting on the shelf.

Keith Law
jzr

first post

Post by jzr »

Hey guys,
First post here. Seems like this is the most active 510 forum around?

Anyway, here's my setup:
front:
Ground Control camber/caster plates (max - camber)
280ZX struts/front brakes/etc.
prototype Ground Control coilover sleeves (I cut the stock perches off the 280ZX struts, but left the weld - they use the weld to retain the sleeve)
350# front springs
revalved Koni 8211 strut inserts
some 1" swaybar, not sure of its origin

rear:
inverted 30-series Konis w/coilovers
250# springs
no rear bar (yet)
I think the crossmember is slotted but I haven't tried aligning the car yet

Currently running 195/60-14 Falken Azenis on 14x6 280ZX wheels. Balance is actually surprisingly good. Enough to keep up with the cars in the STS class. Motor is a rather anemic (16.1 1/4 mile best) L20B, and it's got a 3.70 LSD R160 rear. I put the whole suspension in in one long night without sleep, and ran it at Laguna Seca the following day. What fun!

Eventual plan is to get some bigger (9" + wide) race wheels with race tires for autocross use, and use the "iron crosses" for the street. Still haven't decided what motor I want to use.

Car is being built for the SCCA's "Street Modified" autocross class, but I plan to keep it streetable, and drive it to work at least once a week.

The pic below was at a recent event, still in the stock seats. Got the Cobras in now, can't wait for the next event! :)

kcernest

RE: first post

Post by kcernest »

Quick question as I'm new to this game. I've got 280zx struts coming and was curious as to why people cut the perches and weld the 510's on. If I was going with coilovers would I just cut the perch then weld the threaded tube right to the strut tube(butt weld)? How far down do you cut them? I only want to lower the front 2". Oh, and do I get 280 cartriges or 510? Okay so it wan't a quick question!lol
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

Hey,
People cut the 280zx spring perches off simply because the springs are huge! It also allows ou to use the stock 510 upper perch etc. However doing so can lead to some undesirable camber (not enough negative, or maybe even slightly pos). Chances are the threaded tube will be aluminum, so you'll want to weld a small steel ring to the strut instead (not a bad idea even if the threaded tube was steel).

The 280zx and 510 struts are different lengths, so you'll want to get some 280zx strut inserts!

Good luck!
kcernest

Post by kcernest »

Gotcha! Just checked out your gallery and it's all clear now... except. Someone at teamthump said something about modifying the top hat for using the camber plates? Any camber plates will work right? Thanks for all the help guys, this board is incredible!