SCCA Solo EP Double A-arm Build

View and post your 510 project(s)
duke
Supporter

Re: SCCA Solo EP Double A-arm Build

Post by duke »

I will post some pics in my project thread when I get home in a few days.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Here is a picture of how I braced the front x-member to prevent lateral movement.

Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
ktberube

Post by ktberube »

Thank you for the photo. I'm still going to weld in the cross member since I had to clearance the frame rail close to the rear bolts. Sorry, no new pictures, I have been sizing the shocks and swaybars. Here is a picture of the old suspension in coil bind lifting the inside tire. Don't know who threw that cone under the car.
Attachments
Cone.jpg
ktberube

Post by ktberube »

Quick Update. After weighing my options, I'm going to remake the upper A-arms to give me a little more clearance (and ease of mind) and allow me to install a longer shock and spring than originally designed. Going to go with QA1 double adjustable shocks all the way around. Just can't afford the Koni's right now. Should have more pictures by the weekend.
ktberube

Post by ktberube »

Last edited by ktberube on 13 Dec 2008 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
ktberube

Post by ktberube »

Here is the static roll center and the RC with 3 inches (never going to get that far) of body roll.
Attachments
Geo 3 inch Roll.JPG
Last edited by ktberube on 13 Dec 2008 11:47, edited 1 time in total.
ktberube

Post by ktberube »

I will not have to remake the upper arms after all. I used up to 3 inches of body roll to create the suspension geometry as worse case. Turns out that the car can not physically roll that much with only 4 inches of ground clearance so the upper arm only has to swing through an arch for less than 2 inches (using two inches as worse case). Going to run 600 lbs springs in the front after calculating effective wheel rates today. Hope to submit sponsorship proposal to QA1 by the weekend. Anyone know a contact there?
ktberube

Post by ktberube »

Per Icehouse's request, I have moved up from strings to something a little fancier. These "adjustable" shocks allow me to position the suspension at the various roll angles to measure clearances, angles, swaybar twist, etc. The arms are done with the exception of finish welding the shock attachments and to locate the swaybar attachments. The chassis is welded up with the exception of the vertical tube that connects the lower frame rail to the upper arm hortizontal tube. I need to figure out how I am going to restrain the top of the steering box to prevent flexing. I managed to go with a longer shock (14-10") which will allow me to use a longer spring. Next challenge, finishing the steering.
Attachments
Shock Mounts and arms side view.jpg
Shock Mounts and arms front view.jpg
ktberube

Post by ktberube »

Update: Done cutting, grinding, welding. Painting the engine compartment this week. Waiting for my "friend" to bring me a drag-link from a right hand drive 510 to mock up the steering. To reduce bump steer with the new suspension, I am inverting the arm off the steering box and idler arm. This requires the drag link to be flipped upside down which puts the draglink center "jog" on the wrong side. So a right hand drive will be the trick link and bolt right up.

Went with Speedway Engineering swaybars. Bolts in roughly where the tension rod mounts used to be on the frame rails (boy were those fun removing, thickest metal used on the 510 chassis).
ktberube

Post by ktberube »

Engine compartment is painted. Not a Picasso, but then I'm not building a show car. Hope to have the car off the frame jig by Sunday night with the engine and transmission in by the following weekend. Still waiting for that right hand drag link.
Attachments
Car Engine Compartment Painted Side.jpg
Car Engine Compartment Painted.jpg
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

Looks great, can't wait to hear the results how she drives.
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Looks great. I'm with you when it comes to paint, I just don't have the patience to make stuff show car nice.

A question about the steering box and idler arm. How are you going to address the taper in the mounting hole?

Keep up the nice work...it feels good when they are all back together.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
ktberube

Post by ktberube »

So, I got the right hand drive drag link. Everything is as I expected except for the kickout in the middle is opposite from what I thought it would be (match the left hand drive). Have to wait until I have the engine and trans in to check clearances. Should have the car off the jig this weekend.
Attachments
Draglinks.jpg
ktberube

Post by ktberube »

Progress... Lightened the swaybar arms as much as I dare. The bend adds a twisting force in addition to the bending force. Arms are longer that I would have liked, but needed to keep the bar out of the way. Need to fab the mounts on the lower a-arm for the swaybar. Also, fab-ed up some temporary steering arms so I can move the car around after I get it off the jig. Hope Icehouse approves. :) The right hand drag link is in to check for tie-rod vs. frame rail clearance. Need to raise the inner tie-rod mounting more. Looks like a custom drag link might be required as I don't like the angle of the inner tie-rod rod end.
Attachments
Front Suspension steering mock-up 013109 look down.jpg
Front Suspension steering mock-up 013109 temp steer arm.jpg
Front Suspension steering mock-up 013109 swaybar.jpg
ktberube

Post by ktberube »

Got the car off the frame jig and the engine and transmission in. Now I can do a little each night to make progress. The end links have not been mounted to the lower arm and steering arms are just temporary to move the car around.
Attachments
Inter Suspension.jpg
Engine In Left Side.jpg