I need some suggestions!!!!! Please help!!

scotth510

I need some suggestions!!!!! Please help!!

Post by scotth510 »

So heres my dilemma. I was on my way to work the other day, car started fine, drove fine for a few blocks, I turned a corner and began to accelerate and it fell on its face. I let go of the gas and it returned to idle and seemed to run fine. When I tried to accelerate above 1500 rpm it fell on its face again. Thinking that maybe my fuel filter was dirty, I changed that but with no improvement. I have a 32/26 Weber on it and looked to see if it was getting fuel and it was getting a nice stream into the left venturi. If I try to accelerate above 1500 rpm it sputters and dies. I figured that because it starts and idles that it must be fuel related. I thought maybe fuel pump, but my carb is getting fuel( only checked for fuel with the car not running). I also changed the cap and rotor when I changed the fuel filter. I've tried to give as much info as I can. I am still curious if it might be the fuel pump or possibly the accelerator pump on the carb. If it was electrical would it do this? Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I really need it back on the road as it is my DD.
Thanks in advance,
Scott
DO IT, IN A DATSUN.
1968 4DR Sedan
VIN PL-001796
jason
Supporter

Re: I need some suggestions!!!!! Please help!!

Post by jason »

Did your vacuum advance line fall off?
Jason
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

Scott.
First off, are you running points dizzy?
Second ,have you checked all the conections to coil dizzy etc?
Kinda sounds like electrical loss..
scotth510

Post by scotth510 »

I am running a single point L20b ditributor. I will check all the connections again and the wires that connect everything. I figured that if it was running that it was'nt electrical, but what do I know, lol! Anyone think it might be a pin hole in the diaphragm of the fuel pump?
DO IT, IN A DATSUN.
1968 4DR Sedan
VIN PL-001796
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

You check the point gap,try a new condeser?
James

Post by James »

I would start with the distributor - as previous post said. Make sure point gap has not closed (happens often). Carbs often get blamed for electrical issues....
Finished is better than perfect......
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

Pin hole in fuel pump? You will have a gas smell in the oil.

Make sure distributor bolt didnt come loose and the dist is out of time. Time it again.
Make sure accell pump is working in the carb. See if you see gas squirt in the main barrel with you cycle the linkage.
If still doesnt work it could be a dirt chunk blocking the main fuel jet(happen to me)
To maybe conferm this rev motor up and open the 2nd barrel with a screw driver and block tha main side of carb. If it seems to run then look at the main barrel fuel supply.

you really need to get rid of the points. Then you wont have to ever really look at the ignition again.
Pull the center plug wire put near ground and start. If spark its GOOD, DONE rule that out!!!!!!besides timming
Last edited by banzai510(hainz) on 26 Aug 2008 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
DryHeat
Supporter

Post by DryHeat »

Mine did the same thing a few months ago ... at 1500 or so it would miss and buck wildly. It ended up being the fusable link connection at the fuse box. Apparently the connection was too corroded ... once I cleaned it all off an made sure it was good and tight it started running perfectly.
Jim Graham
71 Plum Crazy Wagon
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

after reading Dryheat anwser ,Loose alt belt could possible be.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

scotth510 wrote:I figured that if it was running that it was'nt electrical,
James wrote:Carbs often get blamed for electrical issues....
if ya think its fuel, its electrical. if ya think its electrical, get a hammer :lol:

alt belt :idea: ...i had a bad alt (rotor bearing wobble) cause similiar issues above 2000. would run, die, run again, then die and not start for ~20 min, then be fine for a week :twisted:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
scotth510

Post by scotth510 »

Thanks for all the posts guys, I will look at everything mentioned. I would LOVE to get rid of the points if anyone has a EI dizzy for sale. I will update this after I look at it. Thanks again.
DO IT, IN A DATSUN.
1968 4DR Sedan
VIN PL-001796
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

there is one on ebay @ $50 start
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
scotth510

Post by scotth510 »

Ok, so here's an update. I checked all the connections and they looked good. I found one wire that was kind of sketchy so I replaced it. I checked the alternator belt and it is good and tight. I checked the carb and it is getting lots of gas. I couldn't get a new condenser because the autoparts store said it was NLA. I should really look into that dizzy on ebay. When does the second barrel come on? Should I see gas going into it?
DO IT, IN A DATSUN.
1968 4DR Sedan
VIN PL-001796
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

Did you check the point gap,and condition??
I may have a spare match box dizzy here Scott, I Have to look,PM me if it will help,Be more than ebay one tho..
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

hey Scott,

The secondary comes on when the primary barrel is just about fully open, and the mechanical linkage starts to open it. With the engine idleing, you can carefully blip the secondary open, with your hand, and you should see fuel start to flow out of the secondary's booster venturi. There is no accelerator pump shot on the secondary. The secondary idle progression jet looks after that task...theoretically!!!

Usually......When a carb goes from idle ok, but then stumbles or falls flat, there is a lean spot for some reason. Have you checked the primary jet to see if it is partially plugged with some crap? If the engine is just idleing, NO LOAD, and you just wing the throttle open, does it pickup ok? If you blip the throttle, can you see fuel flow out of the accelerator pump nozzle?

Have you tried to see if you can drive through the flat spot, and get the secondary open? If it does, and the engine starts to accelerate, that too says the primary circuit is plugged/restricted somewhere.

Just some thoughts
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer