Gear Reduction Starters

defdes
Supporter

Gear Reduction Starters

Post by defdes »

I found this link from years ago, if anyone is in need of a new quality starter, this s the one to get:
http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/starter0.html#TECH
They are expensive, but great. Smaller and lighter with gobs of torque, and goodfor hot start issues. I've got one on the FJ and thinking of getting one for the 1600...
nbesheer

Re: Gear Reduction Starters

Post by nbesheer »

Isn't the L series starter from a 280ZX a gear reduction ? if so wouldn't that work just as well ?
Cruez

Post by Cruez »

+1 on those starters.

I've got one of those starters on my high compression Z's...

Turns it over with ease... nice and light also..

Owner is great to deal with.
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

the the later z cars are gear reduction.

I think they are not needed on a stock semi stock compression motor
But the TSI one is brand new with all new parts.

Most others(even the gear reduction ) from the local parts store are rebuilt units and you dont know how good they are sometimes.

I have GR unit in my 521 truck from Nissanparts.cc 23300-N5903R

I used to buy rebuilt units(starters alternators) from Schucks and I was replacing them all the time.

I tell kids buy the good ones. But most still buy the cheapest cause its all they can afford and the thing is broke again
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

This one's from an '84 Maxima and is identical to the 280 unit on my L20B. I heard that all Canadian L20Bs got GRs but have yet to see one. Every 720 has them up here, they will bolt on to an L motor if you bend the dip stick tube ... then the bloody stick won't go in. Found out the hard way and had to make a thin flexible one.... good to go.[img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]
Last edited by datzenmike on 17 Jun 2008 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I believe any L motor build during 77 and later had gear reduction starters.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
e_racer1999

Post by e_racer1999 »

Will the Z gear reduction starters fit on a 4 cyl L block? My 240Z starter has physical clearance issues with the side of the block in the 510
Jason King
1972 240Z
1971 510 4dr
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

e_racer1999 wrote:Will the Z gear reduction starters fit on a 4 cyl L block? My 240Z starter has physical clearance issues with the side of the block in the 510
The L series g/r will fit any Z series motor but not the other way around without modifying the dip stick.

Here's a 280 GR starter on my L20B, fits fine just a little longer than the 4cyl. one. Some of the direct drive starters I have used were 'fatter'. This is because the motor and the drive pinion are on the same shaft. If they are made larger they will get closer to the block. On the GR starters the armature is off to the side and drives the reduction gear which is in turn driving the pinion gear.

[img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]

Here are two starters from an L20B. I guess I do have a g/r for L series! Have no idea where it's from or off. The left is a direct drive and quite large in diameter and would mount closer to the block than the g/r starter on the right.

Here's a view from above that shows more clearance with the g/r starter. Sorry, the Realm sometimes trims the right side of my pictures. The 280 g/r starter is longer and may be slightly wider but there's obviously room to spare.

Byron my '78 620 FSM shows both starters for that year. I've had 2 '78s and an '80 w/L20Bs and all were direct drive, maybe replaced?? Or maybe they became an available option in '77. Just dug into my pile and found 3 g/r for Z series and 2 direct L series plus the 280Z one, (misplaced somewhere) plus the one L g/r. Threw away six last year.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Here's the new one I just got for my 1600:
starters.JPG
Weighs about 60% of that big Z one.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Nice. Wait a tic... isn't the positive terminal between it and the starter? Have to wire it before installing.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Weird internals? dunno...they work good tho. :D
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

defdes wrote:Weird internals? dunno...they work good tho. :D
What does that thing weigh?

The regular Datsun and the Datsun GR weight almost identical.
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I am guessing as I dont have a scale, but I would say this one weighs 6-7 and the GR nissan one I have is 10-11?