Datsun 510 v8 swap question

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Byron510

Re: Datsun 510 v8 swap question

Post by Byron510 »

I have to admit - Dave Carol’s stuff is an awesome deal for what you get, If you are thinking of going for any of the engine swaps that he makes kits for. Also check out Datsport – he makes some great stuff as well.
I'm very capable of engineering and building this stuff myself, but at his prices, it's just not worth it. Dave makes very good quality stuff, I've seen it installed. It's engineered right, it fits right and its damn good value for the $$$. I have a few of his bits, purchased through Carter. It's great stuff.
I've never met Dave, but hope to do so one day. But his parts speaks volumes for his knowledge.
If you are going to fabricate the stuff yourself, that’s a different story. But my suggestion is to go with the stuff already engineered. You’ll have enough head scratches to sort out on your own when doing such an engine conversion, take the easy way out when you can.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Yep. Dave Carroll makes sweet stuff.

Motor Mounts

PL510-VG30 Left Motor Mount ............. $100.00
PL510-VG30 Right Motor Mount ........... $100.00

Our motor mounts are fabricated from 3/16" steel plate. They are laser cut and welded inside and out on a precision fixture to insure an exact fit. They are media blasted before being powder coated black to insure the best possible coating adhesion. Our motor mounts bolt directly to any SOHC VG30 or VG33 block. Some blocks have only two motor mount holes per side while others have four. Our mounts are strong enough for use with only two mounting holes though we recommend using all four if your block allows it. Our motor mounts bolt directly to your block and stock 510 insulators. We recommend using new insulators (Nissan P/N 11220-A3500) at the time of installation.

Transmission Crossmember

PL510-VG30 Transmission Crossmember ............. $100.00 (I believe that these are now $125)

Our transmission crossmember bolts directly to the stock holes in the floor of most 510s. A small percentage of 510s came with the transmission crossmember reinforcing plates in a different location and on these cars two holes must be added to the floor. Our crossmember is designed to use a 240/260/280Z transmission insulator (Nissan P/N 11320-N3000). The crossmember has two exhaust clearance humps providing more clearance than the 510 had stock (your exhaust shop will love it). The crossmember is mandrel bent and MIG welded on a precision fixture before being media blasted and powder coated black.

ImageImage
PL510-VG30 Six quart competition oil pan ...... $375.00 + $50 Core

Our VG30 into 510 competition oil pan is really the heart of this conversion. It is a six quart, hammerhead style unit that clears the 510 crossmember, swaybar, and steering center link. This is a true competition-type oil pan with a full windage plate and four hinged trap doors arranged in a diamond pattern to always keep oil at the pickup regardless of G-forces acting on the car. These pans are built by TIG welding a new sump onto a Z31 (first generation 300ZX) oil pan. We decided to modify existing oil pans rather than building them completely from scratch as this saves us many hours of fabrication, helping to keep the cost down on such an elaborate part. Using existing oil pan cores in no way compromises the quality of design and manufacture. We start by hot tanking and then chemical stripping the oil pan cores to remove all contaminants and the factory powder coat. We then cut off the existing sump, de-burr all the edges, and clean the pan thoroughly. The new sump parts are laser cut from 1/16" cold-finished steel and precisely bent on our press-brake. The sump is then TIG welded together with it's hinged trap doors and welded to the prepped oil pan. We use 1/16" material for all of our sump parts to make our pans durable enough for street or rally use. Most competition oil pans are made of much lighter material and are not durable enough for rough or long-term use in a street or rally car. We consider the extra few pounds to be weight well spent insuring maximum durability of our parts. The stock Z31 oil pickup tube will not work with our oil pan, you must use our modified pickup tube. We charge a $50.00 core charge for a good (no dents at the front lower edge, no internal damage) Z31 oil pan. The core charge will be refunded if we receive an acceptable core within one calendar year of your purchase.

PL510-VG30 Oil Pickup Tube .............. $75.00

Our oil pan requires the use of this pickup tube. To build this tube we start with a new-style Z31 screen-bulb pickup tube purchased from Nissan. Note that the original pickup tubes used an O-ring seal at the oil pump mounting flange. This O-ring can get hard with age and crack causing an air leak, loss of oil pump efficiency, and catastrophic engine bearing failure. Nissan superseded the original style pickup tubes and issued a service bulletin stating that all VG30 engines that have their oil pans removed should have the new style pickup installed as a preventative measure. We take a section out of the stock pickup tube and re-locate one of the mounting brackets so it fits perfectly in the diamond trap of our oil pan. Our pickup tubes are very carefully hand-fitted, de-burred, and TIG welded as the longevity of your engine depends directly on this part. We include the required new-style pickup tube gasket (Nissan P/N 15053-1E400) with every one of our pickup tubes.

PL510-VG30 Header Set ............................................. $350.00
Cermachrome Polished Ceramic Header coating ......... $200.00

Our tube headers for the PL510-VG30 conversion are custom built exclusively for us by one of the best header builders in the country. We were very careful selecting a shop to build our headers, as we wanted to be absolutely sure they would be of the same high quality as the rest of our components. Our headers are built with 1 1/2" mandrel bent steel tubing. They were designed so each primary tube is one piece so there are no welds in the middle of the tubes to crack. The plates that mount to your heads are 3/8" steel and are surfaced after welding so stock gaskets (Nissan P/N 14037-V5000) will seal our headers very effectively. The collectors are 2 1/2" diameter and are quite smooth. The collectors end with a formed ball that fits into a matching socket on the reducer that requires no gasket, allows a lot of angular misalignment, and will not leak. The collectors are clamped to the reducers with two large bolts and formed steel flanges. Our headers come with header bolts for use at the heads, bolts for the reducers, one blank reducer, and one reducer with a fitting for your O2 sensor. You can install the reducer with the O2 sensor fitting on either header and it can be rotated 360 degrees to allow maximum flexibility of sensor location. Additionally, we offer Cermachrome polished ceramic header coating. Our coated headers are media blasted inside and out, coated inside and out, baked at high temperature, and polished to a high luster resembling polished aluminum. Cermachrome reduces under-hood temperature, increases exhaust flow, greatly increases header longevity, and looks amazing for a very long time. Cermachrome will not heat discolor like chrome plating and as long as it isn't scratched through it completely eliminates rust. If you order our headers without coating, they are shipped to you bare steel so you can paint, coat, or plate them to suit your taste. Our headers are tucked very closely to the engine and bell housing and will likely fit many non-510 VG swaps as well.

Griffin Radiator ............................................................... $225.00
Bracket Set for PL510 ....................................................... $60.00
Griffin Radiator and PL510 Bracket Set (save $15) ......... $270.00

This Griffin radiator is the largest that will fit in a 510 without modification. This is a Griffin stock car radiator, not the Scirocco style. This radiator has a three-inch thick, high efficiency two oval row all aluminum cross flow design. It will easily cool a VG powered 510 in virtually any climate you will encounter. It also works very well with other 510 engines but electric fans must be used in all four-cylinder applications we’ve seen. Our mounts capture the radiator by its tanks and bolt directly into the stock radiator mounting holes in your 510s core support. The brackets are formed from mild steel, MIG welded on a precision fixture, and powder coated black. We supply mounting bolts and washers with our radiator brackets.

This stuff is all bolt in and proven to work right.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

McKinney Motorsports offers stuff for the KA swap. http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com

engine crossmember $250.00
We can modify your engine crossmember to allow the KA/SR motor to fit with out any oil pan mods.

510 trans mount $220.00
Trans crossmember for the KA/SR swap into the Datsun 510. Fully adjustable and allows the use of a full 3" exhaust.

The Kit

510 mount kit $470.00
KA or SR20 into a 510 engine and trans mount kit. Purchaser must supply engine crossmember for mods. Trans crossmember is new unit with poly trans mount. This is the only trans mount that allow for full 3" exhaust with out reducing groung clearance.

We have other parts for the KA/SR swap and engine OEM and aftermarket parts for sale. We also do the wiring to allow the KA/SR motor to wok in the 510 or any car...

Again. Not Cheap but well engineered.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

QWIK, say you were to buy that engine crossmember and the tranny crossmember. Will that take car of your mounting issues when putting an SR20 into a 510? Or is a crossmember different from a tranny mount? And you would still have to get motor mounts wouldn't you?
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

spoolinitup33 wrote:QWIK, say you were to buy that engine crossmember and the tranny crossmember. Will that take car of your mounting issues when putting an SR20 into a 510? Or is a crossmember different from a tranny mount? And you would still have to get motor mounts wouldn't you?

Your really should contact Mac at McKinney Motorsports with your questions but from what I understand, they modify your engine crossmember to work with the original SR20 motor mounts. You would still need a front sway bar that they also offer.

510 Front sway bar $250.00
Front sway bar for 510 SR20  with McKinney crossmember. all new parts and hardware included....

Custom Radiator 510SR
$500.00
Custom radiator for SR20 swap into the 510 Datsun. Buyer will need to build upper and lower mount, or call to special order. Will work with our intercooler kit to provide just enough space for fan..

SR intercooler $399.00
510 intercooler ONLY  designed to fit between radiator and the grill to use with our custom alum radiator.   Core 22x12x3  2" inlet and 2 1/2 outlet 

So it looks like you could do a bolt in SR20 for $470 for the motor and trans mounts and another $250 for the sway bar. The proces for the radiator and intercolloer seem high to me, especially since you need to make your own mounts but for a NA Sr20, I like this stuff.

There are othe companies that also offer similar SR20 stuff too. DGR has nice stuff, Datsport too.

Do your research and figure out what the differences are and which is best for you.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

yeah that is a little bit high on the radiator and the intercooler I think. But when I get ready to do the swap I'll probably contact these people it seems like they have a pretty good bit of stuff for the sr20 swap.
Unknown007

Post by Unknown007 »

are all those sr20det parts for the ka24de?my friend said the vg30e motor is junk true?which would you choose ka or vg?
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Unknown007 wrote:are all those sr20det parts for the ka24de?my friend said the vg30e motor is junk true?which would you choose ka or vg?

To anwser your questions:

Q: are all those sr20det parts for the ka24de?

A: Those crossmembers can be used for the SR20 and the KA24 motors.

Q: my friend said the vg30e motor is junk true?

A: The VG30 was introduced in 1984 and, if I remember correctly, was still in production as a VG33 into the early part of 2003 . How can a motor that has been used by Nissan in so many of their cars for almost 20 years be junk?

(Maybe it is time you start looking to people who know about this stuff for advice instead of your friend. How old is your friend and how much experience does he have with Datsuns and Nissans? )

Q: which would you choose ka or vg?

A: I am going with the VG30 but that doesn't mean it it the right choice for you. I like torque and the VG30 has plenty of it. Both the VG30 and the KA24DE make 160HP but the VG makes more torque. Both engines have their advantages and disadvantages. I suggest you get a copy of the Dime Quarterly issue on engine swaps that compares them both and other swaps too.

Again, I will advise you to do more research. Take the time to actually read what has been posted here. Don't ask questions that I posted the answers to. Did you even look at the McKinney Motorsports website that I linked in my post with the pictures of the crossmembers or read the descriptions next to the pictures I posted???

Your first question was answered right next to the crossmember picture in the item description.

Here it is again.

engine crossmember $250.00
We can modify your engine crossmember to allow the KA/SR motor to fit with out any oil pan mods.

Please research on your own and then ask questions.

Thanks!
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Unknown007

Post by Unknown007 »

yea i tend to ask before i click sorry.well my friend had a shop and has experienced alot.he said his friend that has a datsun shop has done almost every swap not to his car but to customers i guess.well the vg30 would cost more wouldn't it?i live both engines more towards the vg30 because it's a v6 but less because it would proably cost more you know?well i'll do more research and come back ina few thanks.
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

vg30s are not junk. I drove a 300zx turbo for about a year and I gave it pure hell and it kept right on tickin'.
Unknown007

Post by Unknown007 »

well who says i shouold go VG and who thinks i should go KA?lets have like a voting before i buying the ounts and stuff.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

That's a subjective question. You should choose the swap that:
1: Suits your overall goal for the car.
B: Can afford.
3: Can complete within the parameters of the above 2.
Unknown007

Post by Unknown007 »

true that.well money i can get will just take me a minute to get.meaning a while for the ones who dont know.i know i maybe going Ka knowing it's a little bit easier.but i also thinking of going v6.see i know what i want but im stuck in between like when you put a dog in the middle of two people it loves it's like uhhhh???and goes back and forth lol.so im asking which most would go with.you know?
Unknown007

Post by Unknown007 »

ok here i got a better question which one would you recomend to swap if im putting air bags in?
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

I'd say go with what you want to. It's not the people on here thats doin the swap, it's you. Do what you want.