Headlight Relay 510 1970 Wagon (NEED HELP)

frank7

Headlight Relay 510 1970 Wagon (NEED HELP)

Post by frank7 »

I NEED HELP ON HOW TO REWIRE A NEW RELAY. I WANT TO PUT A UNIVERSAL RELAY BECAUSE MY HEADLIGHTS DON'T WORK AND IT'S HARD TO FIND THE ACTUAL NEW RELAY. I HAD TROUBLE UNDERSTANDING TECH ADVICE THE LAST TIME. CAN'T SPEND LOT OF MONEY BUT I NEED SOME WORKING HEADLIGHTS. I WOULD APPRECIATE SOME HELP OR ADVICE FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT REWIRING THE RELAY. I ALSO WANT TO KNOW THE PROPER HOOD SHOCKS PART NUMBER OR YEAR?, IT HOLDS UP THE HOOD. THANK YOU
FRANK
Cruez

RE: Headlight Relay 510 1970 Wagon (NEED HELP)

Post by Cruez »

I just rewired mine to a newer style relay box off a 280ZX. I can take a look and tell you the pinouts I used.
Cruez

Post by Cruez »

Well... we have a problem..

I forgot that I had already encapsulated that portion where the original relay used to be. And its behind the inner fender..

I do know that on the plug where the relay was has
2 grounds..
1 wire for the high beam trigger
1 leaving to feed the low beams
1-2 wire that feeds the running lights
and one other wire... can't remember..
xyzalvarez

Post by xyzalvarez »

i was planning to replace the old relay with a new relay to upgrade the intensity of the light...i guess..

i tried to install my HID's but the old wiring woulld not provide enough juice even the light it up...
so i want to create or upgrade the wiring with new relays from the main + to juice it up....

someone??
510 datsun w/ s2k <3
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

Volume 3 Issue 1 of Dimequarterly has this mod - but I don't have a copy of it (you can buy online for $4.00) so I don't know how far they are going with the mod, if they are incorporating the existing relay and just redirecting electons, or if it is a complete re-wire to get rid of the original relay.

I'm interested in this as well, so I'll try to draw something up at home tonight and post it later.

Do you have an automotive test light and know how to use it?

Also, get familiar with how relays work http://www.installdr.com/TechDocs/999404.pdf (props to 510rob from an earier post)
John Thiessen
72 Wagon
Dimebag

Replacing OEM Headlight Relay

Post by Dimebag »

OK - Here is the first drawing. This is just for a straight up replacement of the the stock headlight relay with a new standard automotive "Bosch" Single-Pole-Double-Throw (SPDT) Relay. A 20 Amp one should suffice, but a 30A is a good choice too - I think they're around $10. I'll start on a "rewire" drawing next.
Attachments
Datsun 510 Headlight Relay.jpg
John Thiessen
72 Wagon
frank7

RE: Replacing OEM Headlight Relay

Post by frank7 »

ok a thanks it works but hi beam do not work do i need the same relay like the one on the pic
Dimelovr

Re: Headlight Relay 510 1970 Wagon (NEED HELP)

Post by Dimelovr »

\\
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

If HIGHS dont work its usually a relay.

Lows??????

Datsun 510s the headlates will be wired to the Plus side of battery.
That mean if you ground a test light every contack in back of the lamp Low and high beam lamp will have 12volts on there when the switch is OFF.

if not trace back to fuse box area!!!!!!!

clean connectors and reseat the pug to the fuse box.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: RE: Headlight Relay 510 1970 Wagon (NEED HELP)

Post by okayfine »

Dimebag wrote:Volume 3 Issue 1 of Dimequarterly has this mod - but I don't have a copy of it (you can buy online for $4.00) so I don't know how far they are going with the mod, if they are incorporating the existing relay and just redirecting electons, or if it is a complete re-wire to get rid of the original relay.
If I recall, the stock relay is retained in the DQ article, and just fires the new relays. Ideally you'd remove the stock relay from the system if you are going to the trouble, as your headlight schematic shows perfectly (even if it's not in color :twisted: ).
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510Finn
Supporter

Post by 510Finn »

Hope this helps lots of people. This is the Nissan part number B5230-89985 for the Headlight relay that turns on the high beam. It basically now uses a modern Bosch type relay with the appropriate wiring and plug so you don't need to make a harness (Plug-n-play). You can also get this from a good auto parts store in OEM brands such as Standard Ignition. (about $20).

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphot ... 21&cat=500
1972 4dr KA24E-T
1972 Blue WaGoon
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

510Finn wrote:Hope this helps lots of people. This is the Nissan part number B5230-89985 for the Headlight relay that turns on the high beam. It basically now uses a modern Bosch type relay with the appropriate wiring and plug so you don't need to make a harness (Plug-n-play). You can also get this from a good auto parts store in OEM brands such as Standard Ignition. (about $20).

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphot ... 21&cat=500
The Nissan number is NLA from NNA. Can't say about Canada or Japan. You *MIGHT* find NOS ones on some dealership shelves but that's about it. I sold our dealerships last one to myself ~4 months ago. Do you by any chance gave the Standard Ignition PN? Or any other brands PN that is correct? It would be helpful for those looking to replace the stock relay.
---Yeah, I said what I said.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

There was also a similar "adapter" available for the 68's relay which is different. That harness adapted the individual 4 spade plugs into the generic Boche type relay. I bought one years ago and put it on the Yellow 68 I had.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.