68 2 door

View and post your 510 project(s)
icehouse

68 2 door

Post by icehouse »

well I decide I should post my project even though my last project on this sight didn't get that much attention :( haha Anyways I posted a few pics on my sight and figured I should post it on the biggest 510 sight in the world :D

I started working on it almost 2 months ago, I started by wanting to "just get it on the road" Then I changed it to fix all the rust so I added about 3 months of work... Okay now for the pics :D

This is how its looked for about the last 3 years.

Now the last couple months I have been slaving trying to get it on the road. Now everyone knows from my last car I'm not a perfectionist or don't care to much about "clean" or "rust free" or "low original miles" So this is the progress of my very beat down 68 2 door. I have cut some parts which may shock some viewers, so if a car has to be uncut please hit the back key and do not return it will only get worse!! I repeat do not go any further!!!

I used 100% 510 metal to do all the metal work.
Last edited by icehouse on 25 May 2007 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
bueiz
Supporter

RE: 68 2 door

Post by bueiz »

Looking good man!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Holly crap, Jeff!
It's coming along since I last saw the car.
You've aimed at fixing the exhaust clearance issue, I see. How much extra fab will be required to get a good solid trans X member? With the exhaust be above or below the X member?
Was fitting a seat, centered to the steering column in the car, and issue with the wider tunnel?
I saw the slightly eaten leaded joint at the rear of the roof. Is this what you found under bodywork? Or did the factory lead get removed in the paint stripping process? Were you able to weld it back together with all that lead around the joint?
Pretty neat, the car has come a long way since I saw it in March - keep the pics coming.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
N_V_S

Post by N_V_S »

Damm, how long did you spend on this dime so far?
Gensaiken1

Post by Gensaiken1 »

thats pretty crazy dude. Done by canby right? ;)
1971 2dr Datsun 510 - L20b, 219 SSS Head, Roundtop SU's
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Looking good Jeff! Looks like you'll be rolling by Canby!
Jason
icehouse

Re: RE: 68 2 door

Post by icehouse »

Byron510 wrote:Holly crap, Jeff!
It's coming along since I last saw the car.
You've aimed at fixing the exhaust clearance issue, I see. How much extra fab will be required to get a good solid trans X member? With the exhaust be above or below the X member?
Was fitting a seat, centered to the steering column in the car, and issue with the wider tunnel?
I saw the slightly eaten leaded joint at the rear of the roof. Is this what you found under bodywork? Or did the factory lead get removed in the paint stripping process? Were you able to weld it back together with all that lead around the joint?
Pretty neat, the car has come a long way since I saw it in March - keep the pics coming.
Byron
I started working on it on 3-12 and have been putting some serious hours in. I'm sure if I pulled a few all nighters I could make it to Canby but I don't want to many loose ends. Even though is my style :D

I welded the tranny mount to the frame rail on the drivers side. The top side is welded to the extra tunnel, I think it should be fine. Think about all the cars with screwed down floors :D I had one and was amazed it held together.

As for the seat it wont be perfectly centered unless I get a narrower one, but nether was the one in my 4 door ( It was late when I made the brackets in my 4 door, the first seat was centered the second wasn't haha. I can just do the gangster lean to center myself :D You know what they say anything to be low :D

Dude the whole ruff is cracking off the car :( The rear pillers weren't leaded that well as shown in pick I add some metal after the pic. The front piller is also cracked a little, O well I guess. The car had cut springs and on the bump stops in its past life, who knows for how many years to. I just borrowed my GF camera once a week or so for pics :D
hang_510
Supporter

RE: Re: RE: 68 2 door

Post by hang_510 »

impressive :!:

makes my ca 'rust' removal look not so difficult.
im trying to finish mine before canby. ill take care of the loose ends later...style!
im afraid to look under the headliner, i know theres more rust growing under the replaced roof :twisted:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
brknrekord
Supporter

Post by brknrekord »

youre a freakin' savage! thats awesome.
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

mmmmm I love 68's. Jeff, that is very impressive. I like the exhaust clearance bubble. looks good.
Hopefull we'll see it at Canby.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted
supersportsedan
Supporter

Post by supersportsedan »

It's obvious how much work you have put into that car so far. That's very impressive.

I remember when that car was for sale a few years ago... I've always wanted a 68 2door.
As if having a car that is exclusive among car owners isn't good enough, I want a 510 that is exclusive among 510 owners!
Can't wait to see it done!
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

How many dust mask/repirator cartriges did you go thru? Looking at all of that bondo and paint dust potential does my head in.
icehouse

Re: RE: Re: RE: 68 2 door

Post by icehouse »

hang_510 wrote:impressive :!:

makes my ca 'rust' removal look not so difficult.
im trying to finish mine before canby. ill take care of the loose ends later...style!
im afraid to look under the headliner, i know theres more rust growing under the replaced roof :twisted:

The ruff is thick trust me any surface rust just paint it with POR15 and forget about it. I peaked at my ruff and some how I didn't see any rust :D yeah
vgwagon wrote:mmmmm I love 68's. Jeff, that is very impressive. I like the exhaust clearance bubble. looks good.
Hopefull we'll see it at Canby.
Thanks I thought the bubble was a great idea, after having the floor bent up in my 4 door from rubbing the exhaust so much I thought the bubble would be sweet. I want this car LOW!!
supersportsedan wrote:It's obvious how much work you have put into that car so far. That's very impressive.

I remember when that car was for sale a few years ago... I've always wanted a 68 2door.
As if having a car that is exclusive among car owners isn't good enough, I want a 510 that is exclusive among 510 owners!
Can't wait to see it done!
Thanks :D I think its been close to 3 years, I will have to dig the title out and see, I know its been a long time. I keep moving it to different places to store it.... for the "doneness" I'm going to leave it in DP48 I figure someday I may paint it but I just wanted to slow the rust down :D I have a line on another 68 2 door :D Its top secrete

defdes wrote:How many dust mask/repirator cartriges did you go thru? Looking at all of that bondo and paint dust potential does my head in.
Haha none :D If you spits not black your not working hard enough :D
GREG510

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 68 2 door

Post by GREG510 »

WOW..is that looking nice.Good work
clean71

Post by clean71 »

damn,some hard work.hope to see you at rays bbq and canaby.
1971 PL510 4DOOR AUTO
1969 PL510 WAGON 4SPD
1969 PL510 2DR 4SPD