Stock tach cluster wiring?!?!

KevinWall

Stock tach cluster wiring?!?!

Post by KevinWall »

okay.. soo i have one of the speedo temp fuel and Stock tach Gauge clusters... What year is this set up from ? and does anyone know how it is to be wired up ?! i'd liek to get it in my car.. i love the look of it and the stock tach and all !
i have a 1970 2dr if anyone has info on how this would be wired up ?! let me kno i want to get it in there ASAP :D thanx
kev
D510

Post by D510 »

The factory tach harness will hook up as follows.
Your signal wire comes from the + side of the coil. Disconnect the + at the coil, run a wire from here to one of the while wires on the back of the tach, run the other white wire back to the + on the coil. The factory harness also took power (green I believe) from this same wire coming from the coil. It's a positive source originating from the ignition switch.(I know it sounds crazy, you just did a loop around the firewall, but that’s how Nissan did the tach harness). And of course there's a black wire that just needs to find a ground (see further ahead for instruction here). The tach has an inductive pick up, like a timing light, and there is no direct connection to the tack (no loss of power except for the minor voltage drop over the length of added wire).
The last two wires to hook up will be the lights. Under a blue piece of tape in the main harness in the area of the tack's mounted position (look way up to find the harness in metal clips right below the dash pad), you'll find both a light wire and a ground wire that you can use for this purpose. I have always managed to scavenge a plug from my pile of old wiring harnesses to match the one found in the stock harness (I hate cutting anything to do with a wiring harness). This makes the installation a little more professional looking, and more reliable in the long run. But I have to admit, getting those pins out of the stock plugs is a lot of work.
Good luck, it's all there, write back if you have issues.
As a side note, the two white wires that you hooked up in series to the coil are both identical, but the direction of current has to be the right direction, so if you made all the connections, and the tach doesn’t work, just swap the wires either behind the tach, or at the coil, the inductive pick up gives the right signal in only one direction.
Byron
-1988 Red Jaguar Solvereign, Cold Airintake, Exhaust, Tint, Alpine Sound System.
-1972 Black 2dr Datsun 510, slammed with Built L20B
KevinWall

Post by KevinWall »

hey thanx mark i'll try n get it workin tonight :)
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Thanks for digging that up Mark, I knew that I'd wrote an answer to this question before....
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
KevinWall

Post by KevinWall »

And Thank you Byron for all of your knowledge :)
KevinWall

Post by KevinWall »

Hey... well went out and ran some wires hooked it all up pluged it in .. fired up the engine and bam working stock tach :D it rocks ! thanx mark for finding those instructions and thanx byron for writing them ! made it so easy :)
D510

Post by D510 »

no problem, when i read them the first time i knew it would be useful to have so i just saved it :o
-1988 Red Jaguar Solvereign, Cold Airintake, Exhaust, Tint, Alpine Sound System.
-1972 Black 2dr Datsun 510, slammed with Built L20B
Da5Dime

Post by Da5Dime »

Man that sucks, because I tryed that and it jumped when I started it then it didn't do anything. Maybe I have a faulty tach!! :?
onslot

Post by onslot »

i used the same instruction to install my tach a week or so ago and they were da bomb my tach works great and looks even better
Cheers
Da5Dime

Post by Da5Dime »

I think I must have a messed up tach then, because mine doesn't even have 2 white wires!