REW?

View and post your 510 project(s)
InternationalDriver

REW?

Post by InternationalDriver »

Hey everyone, I'm new to teh site and looking for a little info and a little guidance. I WAS the proud owner of an RX-7 before a friend of mine, a guy who ownes 4 Porsches and does autocross, drove it into a tree. Into a tree not even five minutes after getting into the car. But now I'm getting away from teh RX scene and I've liked the 69-73 510. I'd like to build one with a rotary, hehe just can't get rid of that bug, and I've heard of N/A engines being put in, but what about the REW. Thats the twin turbo from the FD, not my poor FC, and although its still only 80 cubic inches the rats nest is really big becaus of the turbos and intake. Does anyone think it can be done? If not, an SR20 makes these things fly and I'd be happy with that, but a having a legendary TT 510 is almost too hard to pass up...If it works.
zootowndime

RE: REW?

Post by zootowndime »

There is a guy that put a twin turbo V6 into a 510 once. He also built the most bad ass 510 i have ever seen. It had a rotary and a lot of information about the install. Just google Datsun 510 pictures and it is like the first picture on the page. Yellow 510 with huge rear tires. That will lead you to his sight. Very informative, and very well made sight.
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
shwyn510

Post by shwyn510 »

zootown, the guy that had a yellow 510 with the huge tires and turbo carbed rotary is bryan f....at least thats what i think ur thinking of

http://www.bryanf.com
shwyn510

Post by shwyn510 »

zootown, the guy that had a yellow 510 with the huge tires and turbo carbed rotary is bryan f....at least thats what i think ur thinking of

http://www.bryanf.com
shwyn510

Re: RE: REW?

Post by shwyn510 »

what the heck...double post! :lol:
Byron510

RE: Re: RE: REW?

Post by Byron510 »

13B in a 510??
Been done many times, and because it's so small, there's no problem with space. It's a heavy lump, but the rotory is good and low. A good friend of mine had such a car. 13B, single 48 IDA on a Racing Beat manifold and headers, 2.5 inch exhaust. Went like hell, was almost unbearable in the noise department! Made a goor street car.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

Yeah thanks shwyn510 that was the guy. That car is probably the most bad ass creation i have ever seen. That thing must handle like nothing I have ever driven. So international you must have a little bit of money from the guy who slammed your car into a tree. Whichever way you decide to go is gonna be unbelievable. I have never seen a 2x turbo rotary in a 510, so to me that would be new. There are quite a few SR20 510's but still very fast, and a very good reliable motor. I don't know what mounts are like on the REW, but the SR20 is not too difficult to get mounted in. If you do decide to go with the REW though the intercooler piping might be difficult with twin turbos, but i bet you could figure something sweet. I might have a few ideas.
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

There's something else you should know. The wheelbase of your old FD and the 510 are the same. So what? They're both uni-body designs, with bolt-on subframes front and rear? So what? How about 510 body with FD subframes front and rear, with PPF in place! I started down this road, but had to give it up when my second son was born. Sitting in my attic, I have a complete set of FD underpinnings including both subframes, with all the forged aluminum suspension components (bead blasted, polished, and powder coated clear), uprights, hubs, brakes, differential, axles, rack&pinion steering, etc., everything needed to install under a 510. Obviously you'd use a REW engine and transmission, so that the PPF could be retained. This would make an incredibly dynamic 510!!! PLease contact me if you want to talk about this project. You can call if you'd like.
h-704-243-2505
c-704-650-4983
w-803-396-3684